• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Walton TDC seeking proposals for sports complex / arts facility on 102 acres

The TDC is seeking proposals for a sports complex facility to sit on approximately 102 acres. Page 22 details to proposed additions to facilities.

I have attached a copy of the RPF for everyone to study.

Are they proposing an additional 1/2 cent bedtax to fund ?

Where is the citizen involvement in this complex ?

View attachment 13793

Last edited:

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
We should at least look at what it would cost and what revenue it would produce.

So what if it is a 1/2 cent bed tax? Tourists would be paying it.

We need more baseball fields in South Walton and so much the better if we can get tourists to pay for it.

FYI-no kids either

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I looked at the attachment and it appears to be an RFP to conduct a Feasibility Study to determine the feasibility of a sports AND arts complex for Walton County. I believe it stems from community requests for both.

In my experience with other feasibility studies, they would typically include a component of citizen involvement. Additionally, they typically include a financial feasibility analysis to evaluate exisiting and possible future revenue streams. I guess my point is that I don't see any proposal to raise bed taxes or exclude citizen input as that's what led to the study.
Posted via Mobile Device

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Be nice if they could get a pool as part of that sort of complex. Doesn't have to be as big as Frank Brown Park, but something similar to the Destin YMCA would be a community asset.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Generally a public facility isn't a revenue generator. That being said I'm all for it.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
so is the TDC sitting on 102 acres already owned by them?:dunno:

Generally speaking, the TDC is a county agency and does not own any land. They only manage lands owned by the County (i.e. beach and bay accesses).

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Does the county own a lot of land that isn't set aside for conservation?

I don't know for the County as a whole as I am more familiar with beach and bay accesses, and properties the TDC manages in Sowal. The planning department could probably answer that for you, or maybe WCTA has that info.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I don't know for the County as a whole as I am more familiar with beach and bay accesses, and properties the TDC manages in Sowal. The planning department could probably answer that for you, or maybe WCTA has that info.

Thanks. It's easier just to ask the peanut gallery. :wave: