• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think a facility like this is a great idea - and a much better use of tax dollars than bribing an airline and lining politician's pockets.

As far as using tourist dollars for something besides the beach, I bet many visitors (especially w/ kids) would like an INDOOR place to have funn on a rainy/stormy/red or purple flag day.

I don't think we should increase the tax rate any more though - an annual pass or daily entrance fee could help offset the costs and then the actual USERS would be the ones paying.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
This weeks DeFuniak Herald has a legal notice for a "Public Hearing" for a another proposed 1/2 cent bed tax increase to be effective October 1, 2009.

Wonder what they are proposing it for ?

If it is for the Cultural Center and Sports Complex then they are proposing a new tax for a project without the Economic Feasibility Study completed.

From The RPF.

RFP NO: 09-037
The Walton County Tourist Development, (TDC), a division of Walton County is
requesting proposals from firms to do a Feasibility Study for an Arts Center and Sports
Center located in South Walton.

RFP Deadline: August 25, 2009 no later than 3:00PM (cst) and will open immediately
thereafter.

RPF deadline is 14 days after the Public Hearing to increase the bet tax again.

Hmmmm !

Have you called the TDC and asked? In my conversation with the TDC a couple of minutes ago, I found out very quickly that this is in regards to the 1/2 cent that was approved by the BCC a while ago. This is the next step in that process. It is not another 1/2 cent increase.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Have you called the TDC and asked? In my conversation with the TDC a couple of minutes ago, I found out very quickly that this is in regards to the 1/2 cent that was approved by the BCC a while ago. This is the next step in that process. It is not another 1/2 cent increase.

Yes I did call and was told that Mr. Mares was on vacation. Why don't you tell all what the Public Notice Is About. I know of no reason that there would be a next step. The prior 1/2 cent was approved and was included in their 2010 budget as a revenue source.

What is the next step ?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Yes I did call and was told that Mr. Mares was on vacation. Why don't you tell all what the Public Notice Is About. I know of no reason that there would be a next step. The prior 1/2 cent was approved and was included in their 2010 budget as a revenue source.

What is the next step ?

If you left a message, I would assume that you will be hearing back from him as soon as he gets back from vacation. I will let him speak for the details. I just asked the question of "is the TDC trying to pass another 1/2 cent" and got a "no, this is the ordinance for the first 1/2 cent that was passed by the County Commission a while ago."

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
If you left a message, I would assume that you will be hearing back from him as soon as he gets back from vacation. I will let him speak for the details. I just asked the question of "is the TDC trying to pass another 1/2 cent" and got a "no, this is the ordinance for the first 1/2 cent that was passed by the County Commission a while ago."

You are correct. Mr. Mares and I just had a phone conversation concerning the "Public Hearing Notice" - he called while on vacation to discuss the Notice.

Just to be totally transparent on our process:

1. We called Mr. Mares office this morning and were told that he was on vacation. No one gave us a cell phone number to reach him while on vacation.

2. We called a member of the TDC board and asked about the Notice and they were unaware of the Notice and what it was for.

3. We called a county commissioner and had a conversation with them about the "Notice of Public Hearing" and they had no insight into the ad or its purpose.

After discussing this with the TDC director he states that the hearing is a part of the Statute dealing with the legal requirements for passing an "ordinance" dealing with the 1/2 cent previously voted on as a "resolution" that the board passed earlier (from 4 to 41/2 cents).

The TDC Director states that this "Notice For A Public Hearing" and the RFP for a Cultural and Sports Complex are not connected.

Our understanding of the structure of the various components of the TDC bed tax structure are restricted as to their purpose and would not allow for funding of the "Cultural Center and Sports Complex" without another 1/2 cent increase if the economic feasibility study indicates that the project were feasible.

The Bed tax statute limits the total tax allowable under the law at 5 cents and an allowable use for the remaining available tax would be for "Sports Complexes".

Note: The time elapsed from the original post to Mr. Mares call was 43 minutes while he was on vacation.

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Awful nice of Mr. Mares to return your call while on vacation!

Why do you think these complexes (since it does seem like two separate ideas that are being studied) would require a bed tax, either existing or future? Why could it not be part of the county budget?

I would expect that revenues in the county would pick up once the economy turns around, and the budget might allow for something like this.

coastal-edge

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2009
www.coastal-edge.com
This was JUST POSTED YESTERDAY...
Sports Economic Impact
Posted: 9:09 PM Jul 30, 2009
Last Updated: 9:09 PM Jul 30, 2009
Reporter: Tim Owens
Email Address: tim.owens@wjhg.com

When it comes to sports in Panama City Beach, there's something for everyone.
We're getting closer and closer to becoming a 12 month sports destination. Our main bread and butter is youth baseball and youth fast pitch, we're real big in cheerleading. We got two months in June and July, just week after week of cheerleading camps. And thousands of kids are involved in that, so we're in a little bit of everything. Today it's generating almost 40 million dollars economic impact for the community, over a hundred thousand room nights and that's a tremendous impact, especially in some of our shoulder season times
Then toss in triathlons, swimming, fishing tournaments, and soccer among other sports are bringing thousands of first time visitors to the area!
And our sporting events here, we are every year, reaching over 40 states within the United States, and the good thing is they do want to come back.
A big reason for all this, Frank Brown Park, built in the early 80's, renovated in the 90's and again in the past few years.
Without a doubt one of the finest multi-recreational facilities in the United States. There's also four brand new tennis courts, 4 outdoor basketball courts, 7 soccer fields, a mile and a half waking trail, it's just a facility we're very proud of.

We have the opportunity especially with the airport opening May of next year, that's gonna open up a whole new avenue of what we do up another level.

I found this while researching news on the topic.

That's a lot of economic imact. I'm going to look closer at the stats to see how they add up.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Awful nice of Mr. Mares to return your call while on vacation!

Why do you think these complexes (since it does seem like two separate ideas that are being studied) would require a bed tax, either existing or future? Why could it not be part of the county budget?

I would expect that revenues in the county would pick up once the economy turns around, and the budget might allow for something like this.

On come on now. They are tourists. They can not vote. But they can pay. Bleeding them dry seems to be the way of most Florida counties. :funn: