• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
30ashopper, the TDC can't spend money on anything that isn't related to tourism. Hence building facilities to attract tourists.

Poor TDC. They use the force of law to take dollars from people for coming to this area and then they have to build things for those people to come see that they already paid for. I wonder if those TDC dollars that are TAKEN are the same dollars that fund the free family health care package of the director. I am sure giving him health care and providing employees transportation to commute to work is causing a lot of tourists to jump up and want to visit this place.

And I am sure they are all professionals. Heck they are so professional they did not even know it took an ordinance and not a resolution to raise the amount of dollars that they TAKE from tourists.

And for the TDC employees reading this, do not bother calling anyone and trying to get me to edit this post. I have done that for you guys for the last time. Register at the site with your REAL name and state your case.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Poor TDC. They use the force of law to take dollars from people for coming to this area and then they have to build things for those people to come see that they already paid for. I wonder if those TDC dollars that are TAKEN are the same dollars that fund the free family health care package of the director. I am sure giving him health care and providing employees transportation to commute to work is causing a lot of tourists to jump up and want to visit this place.

And I am sure they are all professionals. Heck they are so professional they did not even know it took an ordinance and not a resolution to raise the amount of dollars that they TAKE from tourists.

And for the TDC employees reading this, do not bother calling anyone and trying to get me to edit this post. I have done that for you guys for the last time. Register at the site with your REAL name and state your case.
:boxing:Seem kinda fiesty, have a better day.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
wrobert, where were you when the TDC was formed? Isn't it your parties elected officials that approved the raise in rates?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
wrobert, where were you when the TDC was formed? Isn't it your parties elected officials that approved the raise in rates?

Absolutely. The conservative republicans of Walton County approved the 12.5% tax increase. Some voting for it after running on a platform of holding the line on taxes. But then after they get in there, they encourage leases to be signed that increase liability to the county from 1200 a month to 9000 a month, they encourage the hiring of people to ride the bike path for 35 dollars an hour, and while admitting family health care at no charge is probably not the right thing, they take it and refuse to try to correct it.

And on the TDC board, not really sure how that works. One member speaks at all the tea parties against taxes and government, yet stands up at the REC meeting and says we should not oppose the TDC tax since we do not pay it anyway. Our chairman, after being for the TDC tax increase and chastising me for being publicly against it, finally came around and voted against it, but he was in the minority so it passed anyway.

Just goes to show you can hardly trust anyone after they get elected. The list of 'good ones' is certainly starting to shrink for me.

I just keep wondering if the democrats are for the little guy, when in the world are they going to call us on these shenanigans? But alas, not a peep, so I guess getting 80K a year for volunteers to look for turtles, allowing health to only be provided to the 'rich' is not a problem even for the local dems.

The lines are starting to blur.

But if I get one email or phone call from someone even remotely related to the TDC about this post, instead of them registering on this forum and stating their case, I am going to take my comments and thoughts directly to the 4,000 visitors of the Beaches of South Walton. Email is a wonderful thing.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Absolutely. The conservative republicans of Walton County approved the 12.5% tax increase. Some voting for it after running on a platform of holding the line on taxes. But then after they get in there, they encourage leases to be signed that increase liability to the county from 1200 a month to 9000 a month, they encourage the hiring of people to ride the bike path for 35 dollars an hour, and while admitting family health care at no charge is probably not the right thing, they take it and refuse to try to correct it.

And on the TDC board, not really sure how that works. One member speaks at all the tea parties against taxes and government, yet stands up at the REC meeting and says we should not oppose the TDC tax since we do not pay it anyway. Our chairman, after being for the TDC tax increase and chastising me for being publicly against it, finally came around and voted against it, but he was in the minority so it passed anyway.

Just goes to show you can hardly trust anyone after they get elected. The list of 'good ones' is certainly starting to shrink for me.

I just keep wondering if the democrats are for the little guy, when in the world are they going to call us on these shenanigans? But alas, not a peep, so I guess getting 80K a year for volunteers to look for turtles, allowing health to only be provided to the 'rich' is not a problem even for the local dems.

The lines are starting to blur.

But if I get one email or phone call from someone even remotely related to the TDC about this post, instead of them registering on this forum and stating their case, I am going to take my comments and thoughts directly to the 4,000 visitors of the Beaches of South Walton. Email is a wonderful thing.

Robert
I realize this is troubling for you and many more that are like minded, but you do realize that there are those on the otherside who are not having issue with it. Sometimes one idea wins over the other. As I have been to Tallahassee representing interest of my group, I understand your frustrations when you hear one thing and something else happens even after confirming with the Representative his vote. I let my vote speak for itself, and I place signs who I can support and yes I'll even financially support them. Although this does not guarantee that I will always agree with the politician but in the end I have to decide whether they were close enough for me to assist in reelecting them. I hope your frustration is eased, not at my expense though :D, but I think our passion sometimes get the best of us. :chill: Relax, have a good a day.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
does anyone happen to know the total $$$ amount of revenues the county has taken in in Property and bed tax combined between 2004 and 2008? A few billion at least? I think the budget says they have $100 million in reserves. Is that correct?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Robert
I realize this is troubling for you and many more that are like minded, but you do realize that there are those on the otherside who are not having issue with it. Sometimes one idea wins over the other. As I have been to Tallahassee representing interest of my group, I understand your frustrations when you hear one thing and something else happens even after confirming with the Representative his vote. I let my vote speak for itself, and I place signs who I can support and yes I'll even financially support them. Although this does not guarantee that I will always agree with the politician but in the end I have to decide whether they were close enough for me to assist in reelecting them. I hope your frustration is eased, not at my expense though :D, but I think our passion sometimes get the best of us. :chill: Relax, have a good a day.

I know. I am trying to get out of this stuff and just go back to drinking. :rotfl: At the end of the day, I basically just sit down and decide did I agree with the person more or less than I disagree, if they can make it over 50% then I will write them a check, put up some signs, and vote for them. And if the election were held today I would vote for every one of them, some more enthusiastically than others, but they would all still get my vote because I have not seen anyone, that I feel is for sure going to run, bring up any ideas of any significant difference.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
I know. I am trying to get out of this stuff and just go back to drinking. :rotfl: At the end of the day, I basically just sit down and decide did I agree with the person more or less than I disagree, if they can make it over 50% then I will write them a check, put up some signs, and vote for them. And if the election were held today I would vote for every one of them, some more enthusiastically than others, but they would all still get my vote because I have not seen anyone, that I feel is for sure going to run, bring up any ideas of any significant difference.

did you ever think of the possibility of you, A.O., and B.H. joining forces? Residents of the south side, 2nd home owners and tourist need a louder voice in all of your opinions right?

Last edited: