• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Busta, I believe I recall wrobert saying that the people in South Walton had no business (say so) in establishing building heights in North Walton, so that probably works in the contrary, too. He doesn't likely want a say so in South Walton activities.

murphrg

Beach Comber
Mar 6, 2006
Grayton Beach
What land is available for this? Who is to pay for the land? Do they intend to get it from the State Forest like the County has always tried to do in the past? I think this is a great idea, if thought through properly and does not impact the Forest which makes south Waltin so very special.

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
What land is available for this? Who is to pay for the land? Do they intend to get it from the State Forest like the County has always tried to do in the past? I think this is a great idea, if thought through properly and does not impact the Forest which makes south Waltin so very special.

I agree murph. I think the trees along US98 should be an established buffer to any more development on the corridor. As they cruise through South Walton, who wouldn't rather enjoy nature over a boatload of commercial eye clutter?

Not saying it is a perfect example, but Hilton Head Island (at least in the beginning of their development) took that into consideration. They made sure any signs were limited to a certain size, and they were very careful about conserving natural landscapes. Wouldn't be the worst example to take some cues from.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Poor TDC. They use the force of law to take dollars from people for coming to this area and then they have to build things for those people to come see that they already paid for. I wonder if those TDC dollars that are TAKEN are the same dollars that fund the free family health care package of the director. I am sure giving him health care and providing employees transportation to commute to work is causing a lot of tourists to jump up and want to visit this place.

And I am sure they are all professionals. Heck they are so professional they did not even know it took an ordinance and not a resolution to raise the amount of dollars that they TAKE from tourists.

And for the TDC employees reading this, do not bother calling anyone and trying to get me to edit this post. I have done that for you guys for the last time. Register at the site with your REAL name and state your case.

I don't use my real name and you still talk to me...;-)

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I don't use my real name and you still talk to me...;-)

And, although I didn't know it at the time of the earlier post, I think the employees of the TDC had other things on their mind today.

Prayers for Michele & Gilbert...RIP, Chase...:cry:

greenesformula

Beach Crab
Mar 25, 2006
priorities

The TDC is seeking proposals for a sports complex facility to sit on approximately 102 acres. Page 22 details to proposed additions to facilities.

I have attached a copy of the RPF for everyone to study.

Are they proposing an additional 1/2 cent bedtax to fund ?

Where is the citizen involvement in this complex ?

View attachment 13793

I believe that we need to look at SoWal priorities before jumping into such a venture. Take a look at Eastern Lake. For several years it has been in the papers, courts, various govt. entities, etc... on the condition of the lake. Eastern Lake is one of South Waltons most beautiful and natural inlet lakes. One homeowner had taken it upon himself to dump construction grade sand near the inlet cut before a tropical storm which not only raised the inlet level with sand not letting in the natural seaflow and saltwater to keep the lake alive, but now the lake is a grassy, slime infested lake with the great fishing depleted and replaced by snakes, gators and who knows what else. Lets dredge this thing back to its original state, then we can look at a sports complex!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
where is the property?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I believe that we need to look at SoWal priorities before jumping into such a venture. Take a look at Eastern Lake. For several years it has been in the papers, courts, various govt. entities, etc... on the condition of the lake. Eastern Lake is one of South Waltons most beautiful and natural inlet lakes. One homeowner had taken it upon himself to dump construction grade sand near the inlet cut before a tropical storm which not only raised the inlet level with sand not letting in the natural seaflow and saltwater to keep the lake alive, but now the lake is a grassy, slime infested lake with the great fishing depleted and replaced by snakes, gators and who knows what else. Lets dredge this thing back to its original state, then we can look at a sports complex!

Oh look another Worth Williams basher. Just curious are you one of the fine folks that travels out to the outfall late at night under cover of dark to illegally open the outflow? While I don't agree with the sand that was placed there, the opening of the outflow manually is not going to fix the problem. If the area were left alone mother nature would correct herself. Of course no one ever mentions the property owner on the other side who keeps installing illegal dune fencing.