• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I adopted a black Lab mix, Katy (aka Maddie) from Alaqua Animal Refuge yesterday and I am posting this information b/c it appears she has been the victim of what is known as BLACK DOG SYNDROME. Across the nation black dogs and cats, especially big black dogs are euthanized at alarmingly higher rates than other animals because no one wants to adopt them. It's not really clear WHY this is happening but none the less it is. Some reports suggest black dogs do not photograph and show well on petfinder type listings or you cannot see them well in dimly lit shelter cages. That certainly wasn't the case with Katy because her pics on Petfinder/Alaqua were great and the dog pens at Alaqua are really visually accessibly. What is so sad is that Katy was rescued by Alaqua when she was 6 or 7 months old, she is now 1 1/2 yr old. Almost no one ever looked at her and she was routinely passed over for other lighter colored dogs. I don’t understand why b/c she is an absolute delight. She's probably never lived inside a house so she was/is not housebroken but in the 24 hrs I have had her she is making remarkable progress. She is getting along so well with my other two dogs as well.
So the other reason I am sharing this
info is....
Laurie Hood founder of Alaqua Animal Refuge created the Black Dog Society to aid in the black dogs/cats plight. what is desperately needed now is someone with a brilliant idea of how to execute or create a presentation of some kind to help enlighten the general public to the sad unfair realities that so many black furred animals are facing. Sowal has such a diverse readership that I thought it worth sharing this story to ask if those who LOVE animals would think about this and who knows,,,maybe that brilliant idea about how to help is floating around out there....
thanks,,,if you come up with a brilliant idea
...actually ANY IDEA is a good idea, email me at tcline@teresaclinegallery.com or contact Laurie Hood at Alaqua Animal Refuge...we are all ears!

Also I am currently working on a web page to FEATURE the BLACK DOGS AND CATS available from Alaqua Animal Refuge on the www
.goingtothedogsfl.com web site where we will be able to showcase them along with little personality profiles ....check it out.
Thanks all!

Last edited:

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
funny you should mention this, because when we went to our friends for a dinner party a couple of weekends ago one of their friends had recently adopted a black lab mix. she was so precious and playful and the mom mentioned to us about black dog syndrome. i had never heard of this before. it's so unfortunate and really odd, i thought. so getting the word out is definitely a must, because black dogs and cats are just as special. as a matter of fact all black really furry cats are my favorite. who wouldn't want one of those!?! so glad you have a new companion/fur friend.:love::wave:

Last edited:
funny you should mention this, because when we went to our friends for a dinner party a couple of weekends ago one of their friends had recently adopted a black lab mix. she was so precious and playful and the mom mentioned to us about black dog syndrome. i had never heard of this before. it's so unfortunate and really odd, i thought. so getting the word out is definitely a must, because black dogs and cats are just as special. as a matter of fact all black really furry cats are my favorite. who wouldn't want one of those!?! so glad you have a new companion.:love::wave:

you are right aggieb,,,getting the word out is key to this issue.
thank you , I am glad to add another fur child to the mix...LOL!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
This is interesting, when I adopted my 3rd black dog, someone mentioned it was nice of me to pick the black one over one of the brown ones (Aussie's). :dunno:

All of my babies needed a home and I either found them or they found me, and they are all black. It wasn't a preferrence thing, it just happened the way it did.

Do you think the black dog syndrome is because a black dog appears to be more menacing????

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I adopted a black Lab mix, Katy (aka Maddie) from Alaqua Animal Refuge yesterday and I am posting this information b/c it appears she has been the victim of what is known as BLACK DOG SYNDROME. Across the nation black dogs and cats, especially big black dogs are euthanized at alarmingly higher rates than other animals because no one wants to adopt them. It's not really clear WHY this is happening but none the less it is. Some reports suggest black dogs do not photograph and show well on petfinder type listings or you cannot see them well in dimly lit shelter cages. That certainly wasn't the case with Katy because her pics on Petfinder/Alaqua were great and the dog pens at Alaqua are really visually accessibly. What is so sad is that Katy was rescued by Alaqua when she was 6 or 7 months old, she is now 1 1/2 yr old. Almost no one ever looked at her and she was routinely passed over for other lighter colored dogs. I don?t understand why b/c she is an absolute delight. She's probably never lived inside a house so she was/is not housebroken but in the 24 hrs I have had her she is making remarkable progress. She is getting along so well with my other two dogs as well.
So the other reason I am sharing this
info is....
Laurie Hood founder of Alaqua Animal Refuge has created the Black Dog Society to aid in the black dogs/cats plight. what is desperately needed now is someone with a brilliant idea of how to execute or create a presentation of some kind to help enlighten the general public to the sad unfair realities that so many black furred animals are facing. Sowal has such a diverse readership that I thought it worth sharing this story to ask if those who LOVE animals would think about this and who knows,,,maybe that brilliant idea about how to help is floating around out there....
thanks,,,if you come up with a brilliant idea
...actually ANY IDEA is a good idea, email me at tcline@teresaclinegallery.com or contact Laurie Hood at Alaqua Animal Refuge...we are all ears!

Also I am currently working on a web page to FEATURE the BLACK DOGS AND CATS available from Alaqua Animal Refuge on the www
.goingtothedogsfl.com web site where we will be able to showcase them along with little personality profiles ....check it out.
Thanks all!

she's beautiful TCline! congrats!

I've heard of the Black Dog Syndrome, and it does seem bizarre.... While I think black dogs and cats are gorgeous, I tend to think of the black hair that will be all over my house. I've had brown and yellow hair all over my house. and black would probably not be a bit different. so, while I have had these thoughts when deciding which color pet I'm looking for, I know it isn't really logical - so glad people are talking about this, bringing it out for their consideration when choosing pets - black is truly beautiful.:wave:

This is interesting, when I adopted my 3rd black dog, someone mentioned it was nice of me to pick the black one over one of the brown ones (Aussie's). :dunno:

All of my babies needed a home and I either found them or they found me, and they are all black. It wasn't a preferrence thing, it just happened the way it did.

Do you think the black dog syndrome is because a black dog appears to be more menacing????

Thats one explanation for it seagrovegirl... the fear factor of the black dog/cat = death, or evil is stuck in the unconscious mind I read.

she's beautiful TCline! congrats!

I've heard of the Black Dog Syndrome, and it does seem bizarre.... While I think black dogs and cats are gorgeous, I tend to think of the black hair that will be all over my house. I've had brown and yellow hair all over my house. and black would probably not be a bit different. so, while I have had these thoughts when deciding which color pet I'm looking for, I know it isn't really logical - so glad people are talking about this, bringing it out for their consideration when choosing pets - black is truly beautiful.:wave:

thanks TooTsie!...
I got a big chuckle out of your statement about what color animal hair all over ones house...there could be something to that as a consideration,,,cuz there sure is a LOT of it!!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
thanks TooTsie!...
I got a big chuckle out of your statement about what color animal hair all over ones house...there could be something to that as a consideration,,,cuz there sure is a LOT of it!!

My house it the PERFECT example of black dog hair. When I empty the vacuum canister there is so much black hair, it's like I am throwing out another dog!!!!