• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm surprised no one posted this little news item from yesterday.

Padgett Park to See Long-Awaited Construction

Padgett Park to See Long-Awaited Construction Save Email Print
Posted: 10:08 PM Aug 10, 2009
Last Updated: 10:08 PM Aug 10, 2009
0 comments
A | A | A
A $1.4 million state grant will allow Walton County officials to begin developing Padgett Park in Santa Rosa Beach.
Officials purchased the nearly 17-acres a land in 2007 in hopes of creating a recreational park.
The park was named after a Walton County resident, Sergeant Timothy Padgett who was killed in Afghanistan in 2007.
The county applied for the same grant in 2007 and 2008, but it was denied both times.
Friday commissioner Cecilia Jones got good news that the state had award the county $1.4 million to begin construction on the land.
Commissioner Jones is pleased with the unexpected news.
"In these tough economic times it's really hard for families just to be at peace. So, I hope we'll have a park where they can go and relax with their families," says Jones.
Construction is expected to begin by January of 2010.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
yesteday was the first I'd heard of this. Anyone else have any idea it was being considered? Anyone know what is going into the park?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
yesteday was the first I'd heard of this. Anyone else have any idea it was being considered? Anyone know what is going into the park?

From the glimpse I saw on TV of the site plan it appeared to be some soccer fields and a large building. They didn't elaborate on the actual plans, but perhaps Mrs. Jones will have the same site plan at her office. She was interviewed for the story.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
From the glimpse I saw on TV of the site plan it appeared to be some soccer fields and a large building. They didn't elaborate on the actual plans, but perhaps Mrs. Jones will have the same site plan at her office. She was interviewed for the story.

The plan that she had was put together so they could apply for the grant. There are no concrete details yet, and they are open to suggestion. I do think they wanted to put in some tennis courts, and playground equipment.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Three words:

Snowbird water aerobics

Which is both a brilliant and terrifying concept

:rotfl::funn:

This was JUST POSTED YESTERDAY...
Sports Economic Impact
Posted: 9:09 PM Jul 30, 2009
Last Updated: 9:09 PM Jul 30, 2009
Reporter: Tim Owens
Email Address: tim.owens@wjhg.com

When it comes to sports in Panama City Beach, there's something for everyone.
We're getting closer and closer to becoming a 12 month sports destination. Our main bread and butter is youth baseball and youth fast pitch, we're real big in cheerleading. We got two months in June and July, just week after week of cheerleading camps. And thousands of kids are involved in that, so we're in a little bit of everything. Today it's generating almost 40 million dollars economic impact for the community, over a hundred thousand room nights and that's a tremendous impact, especially in some of our shoulder season times
Then toss in triathlons, swimming, fishing tournaments, and soccer among other sports are bringing thousands of first time visitors to the area!
And our sporting events here, we are every year, reaching over 40 states within the United States, and the good thing is they do want to come back.
A big reason for all this, Frank Brown Park, built in the early 80's, renovated in the 90's and again in the past few years.
Without a doubt one of the finest multi-recreational facilities in the United States. There's also four brand new tennis courts, 4 outdoor basketball courts, 7 soccer fields, a mile and a half waking trail, it's just a facility we're very proud of.

We have the opportunity especially with the airport opening May of next year, that's gonna open up a whole new avenue of what we do up another level.

I found this while researching news on the topic.

That's a lot of economic imact. I'm going to look closer at the stats to see how they add up.

while we use and enjoy FBP quite a bit for swimming (and starting karate classes soon) I reallly really hope not to see this size/kind facility in SoWal. I totally agree with SJ... that we should certainly develop small scale parks/rec facilities, but we need to really take a good look at what we currently have and how we can best promote/utilize our natural resources, current lands, etc , etc. We are still very small town and blessed with unique recreational resources. we don't have to be Atlanta, or any other city. but we do need to do some visionary community planning so that we can bring the best and most suitable recreational and arts facilities to SoWal.

I will be interested in hearing whether the grant SWGB posted earlier has anything to do with the rec/play park that was proposed to the county last year.

Hammock Bay is too far away to be considered a destination sports vacation draw, and it really does not serve the residents of South Walton except for some of the hardcore adult soccer players who go up there, many of which are single, young guys who don't have the need to worry about a nearly all day soccer commitment.

The benefits to having a South Walton Family Sportsplex are many and not just to those visiting for tournaments. In fact, I'd say the benefits would be more for the permanent residents than the vacationers, but it would appeal to and draw both. That in turn creates revenue producing opportunities for a large portion of local businesses and residents.

Personally, I'd rather have a quality sports and cultural arts facility in South Walton than any more strip malls. One of the ways to preserve the standard of living and beauty of this area would be to capitalize on the increasing demand for sports and arts related activities and organizations, so we could avoid making US98 look like Destin or PCB along that corridor. I agree we should preserve as much of the natural beauty of the area as possible, but having a strategically located Family Sportsplex that serves resident and vacationer alike, and a master plan for developing sports facilities in South Walton in general, could go a long way towards helping us avoid the mistakes that other communities have made in growing their communities and developing their landscapes.

In my opinion, promoting healthy lifestyles goes hand in hand with preserving natural landscapes. If South Walton decides to embrace the idea of becoming one of THE preeminent sports vacation destinations in the Southeast (arguably the country, or even the world), it will be to its benefit. But let's do it the South Walton way, and provide something that is so uniquely attractive, and not just some cookie cutter plan, that we preserve not only the natural beauty, but our community's exceptional approach to thinking, working, and living.

I think you know what the heck you are talking about over there DCF - all great ideas!!! I hope you will be right there helping the community with this project - I especially like your master plan idea.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I will be interested in hearing whether the grant SWGB posted earlier has anything to do with the rec/play park that was proposed to the county last year. by Tootsie

That is exactly what I was wondering. Where does the PlayPark fit into this....did anyone know about this before? Was there a naming ceremony? I have not seen anything about it in the news--maybe I missed it.
And, the news story confuses me. It states the County bought the land; and now have a grant from Florida Forever that reimburses the county for the purchase...so, where is the money coming from to build the park?:dunno:

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton

I don't know specifically what was in this year's grant application, but last year when the grant was applied for, we were talking about tennis and basketball courts with a small playground and I think some type of building. This is also the site that eventually a swimming pool was planned. This is great news about the grant.

The playpark is still planned to go into Helen McCall, although it is taking a long time !!!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I will be interested in hearing whether the grant SWGB posted earlier has anything to do with the rec/play park that was proposed to the county last year. by Tootsie

That is exactly what I was wondering. Where does the PlayPark fit into this....did anyone know about this before? Was there a naming ceremony? I have not seen anything about it in the news--maybe I missed it.
And, the news story confuses me. It states the County bought the land; and now have a grant from Florida Forever that reimburses the county for the purchase...so, where is the money coming from to build the park?:dunno:

As to the naming it is named after a Padgett that died in Iraq/Afghanistan. I'll ask Ray the next time I see him more about it. I'm assuming this is a relative.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
As to the naming it is named after a Padgett that died in Iraq/Afghanistan. I'll ask Ray the next time I see him more about it. I'm assuming this is a relative.

thanks. I read that and I think that is great. I was just wondering if there had been a ceremony or announcement of the naming for the park. I think his mother works at the Annex, not sure if they are related to Ray, but probably. :D

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I don't know specifically what was in this year's grant application, but last year when the grant was applied for, we were talking about tennis and basketball courts with a small playground and I think some type of building. This is also the site that eventually a swimming pool was planned. This is great news about the grant.

The playpark is still planned to go into Helen McCall, although it is taking a long time !!!

Thanks. A pool would be wonderful. I am just surprised that there has been so little information about this. Or perhaps I just missed it. But, it seems like a pretty big deal to buy this land and request a grant for a good sized park, and have it already named, and I don't remember seeing any mention of it in the papers, or any ceremony for the naming...oh well.

I am glad the playpark is still going in at Helen McCall. What is taking so long?