• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
We are still trying to figure out what exactly is going on- how is this Driftwood park being built before the playpark at Helen McCall??? For over 2 years, our group has been working on this project, with Cindy Meadows- attending meetings with engineers, workshops, planning sessions- a lot of work and some money has already been spent. We never heard anything about a park in Driftwood.

Wow, Driftwood Park. That sure is a blast from the past. If I remember correctly, that park area was set aside as part of the original Adams Homes/Olsen buildout plan way back when. I remember seeing it in the marketing materials of the project at least 5-6 years or so ago and inquiring about it from the real estate people. They told me it was to be developed as a public park, not a community park so that it would be for everyone. Due to its location, I never thought it would actually get to far off the ground. Interesting stuff JDarg.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
Regarding volunteers- thanks for the offer, but we are planning on ordering the high-tech super safe manufactured playground equipment, which most likely will require professional installation for liability reasons. We may be able to use volunteers for landscaping, sand spreading, etc- I will check on that.

Sounds like you might not be able to afford it anymore. :bang:

Lumber and building materials are pretty cheap right now (and will be for a while it seems) ....

Have you ever seen the play structure at Watercolor - not that big of a deal for a few volunteer builders over a few weekends and evenings.

I'll admit I know nothing about the liability issues. I'm kind of "old-timey", so I think it's ridiculous that this is such a problem, but - I know, I know.....

Anyway, there's people here with the tools, heavy equipment, and know-how that would volunteer for the "right effort" - just so you know. Don't spend all your money in planning, though. We can look at it too. (Preble-Rish for a playground, pavilion and bathrooms? :dunno:) Also remember things can be added to and uprgaded later.

Lastly, are there any other links to your effort (this project). I don't expect you to explain the whole thing to me! I may read these 9 pages later, but don't have that kind of time right now.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Beach Breeze has a front page article about the latest playpark news- things are moving right along! Pick up your copy today for the whole story!

Kudos to Leah Stratmann of the Breeze for sorting out the spaghetti mess of background to write this story.

Cecilia Jones is quoted as wanting the park open by April 2010- the equipment will be similar to Hammock Bay, which is pretty sweet. The park will also have parking and restrooms! From start to finish will be a little over 3 years, but it's really going to happen!:clap:

When moms want something for their kids AND community, look out!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Congratulations to all who have worked so hard and long on this project. It is going to add so much to our community.:clap:

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
This is really good news - community in action, eh?! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Tangent - This was the very first Sowal thread I ever posted to (see post #138). I was very inspired by all of you, your commitment to improving your community, and it made me more determined than ever to move here.
:love:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
This is really good news - community in action, eh?! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Tangent - This was the very first Sowal thread I ever posted to (see post #138). I was very inspired by all of you, your commitment to improving your community, and it made me more determined than ever to move here.
:love:

And SoWal is better with you in it.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Thanks jdarg for getting us some publicity! We will be pushing for a pool and will need some help! Oh, for the good old days when money grew on trees...

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks jdarg for getting us some publicity! We will be pushing for a pool and will need some help! Oh, for the good old days when money grew on trees...

No kidding. We moved here after those days, I think.:sosad:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

my hope is that they have been replanted and with a little tender loving care, will grow again...perhaps not as huge and with a better root system this time. ;-)

Congrats to the village that made this happen!

WCW...I remember being inspired by this thread and group of peeps, as well! :clap: