• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Good lord bears in the State Park and the land that borders it? What's next, a shark in the gulf, gator in the bayou, or heavens just nature in general?

Your garbage and how to keep bears out!

I'm also wondering if mothballs would work? You could just throw a handful around the garbage cans.

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com
Black bears are vegetarians, and, unless provoked (protecting their cubs or defending themselves), are not aggressive in nature. I am delighted that the black bears are thriving in our local forests. They are opportunists and the scent of discarded food items, dog food, even bird seed will attract them. Education is the key in understanding our indigenous fauna. Here are some helpful tips...

Living with Florida black bears | Welcome to Walton Outdoors

Last edited:

DavidD

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2008
Seagrove
www.davidDdesign.com
I mentioned the bear sighting in Subway 30A, and the sandwich technician told me that a bear regularly visits a dumpster there. There are more here than I thought or else its one busy bear.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I ran in Pt. Washington State Forest a good bit over Labor Day weekend and the ranger was in the Eastern Lake Trailhead parking lot checking fee tags on cars. I asked him if he'd seen any of the bears in the area, and he'd seen some tracks out in the trail; I'm pretty sure I saw some tracks on the portion of the trail that piggybacks the State Forest road, probably 3/4 mile from 395 and up to the next road/trail fork to the 3.5 mi loop. He did say that the bigger danger is rattle snakes, and warned me to wear orange if running anywhere in PWSF after October 1, since that is when bow season starts. I just can't bring myself to wear orange during football season.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I ran in Pt. Washington State Forest a good bit over Labor Day weekend and the ranger was in the Eastern Lake Trailhead parking lot checking fee tags on cars. I asked him if he'd seen any of the bears in the area, and he'd seen some tracks out in the trail; I'm pretty sure I saw some tracks on the portion of the trail that piggybacks the State Forest road, probably 3/4 mile from 395 and up to the next road/trail fork to the 3.5 mi loop. He did say that the bigger danger is rattle snakes, and warned me to wear orange if running anywhere in PWSF after October 1, since that is when bow season starts. I just can't bring myself to wear orange during football season.

Gotta love the south when someone will risk their life instead of possibly be considered an Auburn/Clemson/Florida fan.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

:rotfl::rotfl::clap::rotfl:I do understand.