• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
It does seem to me if you are going to be a comma mamma one should at least have good spelling and grammar.....

Absolutely! And I have never been, currently not, and never will be a comma mamma.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I wonder if this is the first thread that ever strayed?
:rotfl:Very true, however, never quite this inanely! Tangents are funn when the timing is right. Ranting about someone's use of grammar is inane compared to a business folding.
I never went to Cafe Bouchee and I am sorry. I stay so busy that I rarely go anywhere to eat. I do think the lack of some advertisment may have been a reason that most people did not know about it. Around here you really need to keep your name out there. Did they come on SoWal very often? This is the best advertisment around!

Last edited:

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Ok guys,

I apologize for temporarily leading the thread astray. I had just read Lulu2's first post on another thread, and I momentarily allowed my frustrations with mean people to overcome my better judgement.

This thread is such a terrific place where, daily, I see everyone come together on a common ground and enjoy each other's thoughts and humor. We tease each other all the time about misspellings and, of course, have even changed some words completely to suit our sticky fingers (i.e., jsut; funn). That's all in good fun(n)!

To see someone come on the board with just their second post, and tell another poster to go back to school because his "grammer" was bad, and illiteracy is prevalent kinda set me off. Swafia has terrible dislexia; he often doesn't post because he doesn't spell or write very well, and fears being made fun of. This board should be above that, and I just wanted to point that out, although I admit that I probably should have done it in a pm. Can we get over it now?

All that being said, the folks at Cafe Bouchee were terrific and they will be sorely missed. I agree that advertising has quite a bit to do with the failure of most small restaurants and businesses in the area, and always try to do my part by spreading word of mouth and posting happy thoughts here on the board. I'm sorry that we didn't get the word out enough for Cafe Bouchee. :sosad:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I've always thought it was stupid that the newspaper here has no restaurant reviews (though sometimes when a new restaurant opens, it's a news article) (and I don't count the NWFDN, which seems to review hot dog stands in Valparaiso for the most part).

What a great feature it would be for visitors, I think that the many, many locals who are in the business would find it interesting, and the rest of us would love to have a clue about new places.

In real foodie places (and I think we should start thinking of ourselves that way), they have restaurant "news": who's opening, closing, what chefs have changed places, who is changing their menu.

We certainly have MANY people in the area who are qualified to write on the subject of food and restaurants.

SouthWaltonDiningScene.com, I think, does a good job of keeping up with openings and closings, but (this is my fault) I forget to check it often.

flipflopsgrill

Beach Lover
Oct 13, 2007
Well here is my two cents.... I have owned a small restaurant on 30-A for two years and I have survived, but it has been very, very difficult.

In the summer I have 12 times the number of customers come thru my door on a daily basis that the winter....TWELVE TIMES. I only advertise in one place and learned last year that most of my customers never saw my ad...they say they see my little dinky sign out front and they also come in thru word of mouth (thanks locals!)... I also have someone who calls he sign POLICE about every few days and I have to move my dinky little sign...I wish I knew who they were so I could talk with them...my location is hard to see and my sign helps sooooo much.

My average customer will eat at Flip Flops at least 5 or 6 times during the week they stay here...not once but multiple times. I keep random metrics on customers to determine this average. They return because they say I provide a good value...good food at a decent price...no I am no as good as Stinky's by any means, but you can eat at Flip Flops and be happy for $8 to 12 in most cases.

The winters are brutal. I have tried marketing, I have tried specials, I have tried all sorts of things, but we do not have enough warm bodies in the winter to go around to all of the restaurants...the locals do come in and it is much appreciated..but we understand that we can't all eat out everyday at a different place...My wife and I try to eat out at least twice a week and visit different places...but there are still so many we places we need to visit.

I am still new and I am simple place, not like Stinky's or Red Bar etc...so my overhead is much lower, but all in all, the Winters are brutal. So my advice is to keep overhead very low, save ALL of your Summer money and do your best to keep expenses down in the Winters and hold on as best you can.... I am sure adverstising and letting people know about your business would help, but I just have not figured out the right combination for Winter...I thing Bryan does a great job at Pizza by the Sea...but I don't know how his Winters are....I also know Brunos does a good job with specials....

All in all, we give to four local charities on a monthly basis as well and try our best to give back...what else can a small busines owner do...the cost of living in paradise!!! BUT I AM HAPPY :)

Glad to have shared...please come eat a burger!

Flip Flops Grill

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
Well here is my two cents.... I have owned a small restaurant on 30-A for two years and I have survived, but it has been very, very difficult.

In the summer I have 12 times the number of customers come thru my door on a daily basis that the winter....TWELVE TIMES. I only advertise in one place and learned last year that most of my customers never saw my ad...they say they see my little dinky sign out front and they also come in thru word of mouth (thanks locals!)... I also have someone who calls he sign POLICE about every few days and I have to move my dinky little sign...I wish I knew who they were so I could talk with them...my location is hard to see and my sign helps sooooo much.

My average customer will eat at Flip Flops at least 5 or 6 times during the week they stay here...not once but multiple times. I keep random metrics on customers to determine this average. They return because they say I provide a good value...good food at a decent price...no I am no as good as Stinky's by any means, but you can eat at Flip Flops and be happy for $8 to 12 in most cases.

The winters are brutal. I have tried marketing, I have tried specials, I have tried all sorts of things, but we do not have enough warm bodies in the winter to go around to all of the restaurants...the locals do come in and it is much appreciated..but we understand that we can't all eat out everyday at a different place...My wife and I try to eat out at least twice a week and visit different places...but there are still so many we places we need to visit.

I am still new and I am simple place, not like Stinky's or Red Bar etc...so my overhead is much lower, but all in all, the Winters are brutal. So my advice is to keep overhead very low, save ALL of your Summer money and do your best to keep expenses down in the Winters and hold on as best you can.... I am sure adverstising and letting people know about your business would help, but I just have not figured out the right combination for Winter...I thing Bryan does a great job at Pizza by the Sea...but I don't know how his Winters are....I also know Brunos does a good job with specials....

All in all, we give to four local charities on a monthly basis as well and try our best to give back...what else can a small busines owner do...the cost of living in paradise!!! BUT I AM HAPPY :)

Flip Flops Grill

A great post. I do love your chili dog. I just wish you would make a small 4 or 5 oz burger.
Thanks

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I've always thought it was stupid that the newspaper here has no restaurant reviews (though sometimes when a new restaurant opens, it's a news article) (and I don't count the NWFDN, which seems to review hot dog stands in Valparaiso for the most part).

I actually like Colleen Coffield's reviews quite a bit- she seems to be honest in her opinions and willing to try anything. But she now only gets like one review a month, I'm guessing as part of Freedom's cost cutting, (and filling in the rest with reviews from people who don't seem to have an interest in good food) and when you're writing about places from Navarre to the Bay County line, she doesn't do as many SoWal reviews as she used to.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen

I am still new and I am simple place, not like Stinky's or Red Bar etc...so my overhead is much lower, but all in all, the Winters are brutal. So my advice is to keep overhead very low, save ALL of your Summer money and do your best to keep expenses down in the Winters and hold on as best you can.... I am sure adverstising and letting people know about your business would help, but I just have not figured out the right combination for Winter...I thing Bryan does a great job at Pizza by the Sea...but I don't know how his Wintto you ers are....I also know Brunos does a good job with specials....

Flip Flops Grill
I am loathe to say this because it may go to your head and that is already big enough (simply an observation, not a personal attack), but for what you do you are every bit as good as Stinky's. Consistency is where most restaurants lose me sooner or later and many places never achieve consistency at all.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
was that actually necessary? why clothe a compliment in an insult, or vice versa? :dunno:
Geez, I was just razzing the guy joking about him having a big head though it is my true opinion that his hat size falls within normal tolerances. Since you thought I was serious and insulting then it follows that you must actually think Shea has an insultingly large head. Perhaps an apology (from you) is in order? I am sure that there is soemthing for which you are worthy of complimenting. So consider yourself complimented as well. :roll: