• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Just announced. :dunno:

"GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.
Meyer resigned Saturday, calling it quits after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He leaves Florida with a 56-10 record that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak snapped early this month against Alabama."

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...=Meyer-steps-down-as-coach-for-health-reasons

Last edited:

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
As a Seminole Fan, this is great news, as I believe he is one of the Best in the Coaching Business and he constantly beat on FSU. I hope this is only precautionary in regard to his Health.

I hope he gets well with whatever he is fighting.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss

"GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.
Meyer resigned Saturday, calling it quits after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He leaves Florida with a 56-10 record that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak snapped early this month against Alabama."

Meyer steps down as coach for health reasons | GatorSports.com | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville, FL
just heard this on espn

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Obviously Nole fan here too, and yes Urban and Tim have been whooping the snot out of us for several years now, but we aren't exactly blameless for that. Meyer says he is staying in Gainesville; maybe I am reading too much into that but my first thought upon hearing that was "SHANDS." :sosad:

I hope he will be OK. Rivalries are one thing. Concerns about a relatively young man's health is something else completely.

Love you, BR...

Obviously Nole fan here too, and yes Urban and Tim have been whooping the snot out of us for several years now, but we aren't exactly blameless for that. Meyer says he is staying in Gainesville; maybe I am reading too much into that but my first thought upon hearing that was "SHANDS." :sosad:

I hope he will be OK. Rivalries are one thing. Concerns about a relatively young man's health is something else completely.

Love you, BR...
Yes, Shands is awesome. They diagnosed the cause of my infertility when I had been misdiagnosed prior to arriving at grad school at UF. That being said, I really think that Shands used Big D's father as a guinea pig and unnecessarily removed a cancerous lung. This resulted in his Dad having no quality of life in his last days, when he would have been better off living his last days without the excruciating pain of losing a lung.

Love you, too, SN!

FloridaBuckeye

Beach Lover
Sep 4, 2008
Good Buckeye

Even though I am what the Floridians call a "Gator Hater", I do hope that Urban's health problems are not too serious! He was born and raised in my great state of Ohio, graduated from the college that the Gators will be playing in the bowl game..University of Cincinnati, and received his master's from Ohio State!!! He is a great coach, even though he did coach at UF!!

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I wish him the best and hope the health issues are not serious.

Should be an interesting Sugar bowl, both Cincinnati and Florida lose their coach prior to the Bowl Game, even though Myer will be coaching the game, and the Cincinnati coach going to Notre Dame; which has been reported to be Meyer's dream job. Alot of distractions for both teams.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
As a Seminole Fan, this is great news, as I believe he is one of the Best in the Coaching Business and he constantly beat on FSU. I hope this is only precautionary in regard to his Health.

I hope he gets well with whatever he is fighting.
this is great news?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Watching the Emerald bowl and they just keep yammering on about it and posting stuff on the crawl, but not giving any actual info about Mayer.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States

Meyer steps down as coach for health reasons | GatorSports.com | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville, FL

I just saw on ESPN that Meyer has decided to take a leave of absence instead of resigning.