• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I hope everyone will pray for my son's 5 year old tabby Patty, I've posted pictures of her and her sister on here. She is in the vet in bad shape due to a bad freak accident. She is a indoor cat, never been outside. My son was away for a week during Christmas so I was going every day and checking on the cats, filling their food and water bowls every day, changing the litter box, etc. He has 3 cats. Everything seemed normal. I put two extra bowls of food and water out when there was a possibility of snow in case I could not get over there. When he came back things were fine with the cats, Saturday, he was putting collars on them and was putting a collar on Patty, and she decided she wasn't keen on that idea and leapt off of the top of the pet pen he had her sitting on hanging herself on the collar. He let her go and fall to the floor. Don't be hard on him as she has worn a collar before. Well, this apparently caused a tear in her diaphragm and both lungs are 30% collapsed. Now she is suffering also from pre renal failure, probably hereditary the vet said, but due to her lack of drinking water, probably not being able to. She is in a good deal of pain trying to heal from the freak hanging incident, as long as she is on pain medicine and not moved she is tolerable, the vet said the pre renal could be reversed if he can get fluid in her where she will start using the bathroom again. She is only 5. but the extra fluid from the iv could get around her already partially collapsed lungs and cause problems that way, so please keep her in your prayers. I am worried about her. And my son feels horrible about this. :sosad:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
LadyD, I am so sorry to hear about what Patty is going through. It truly is a freak accident and could happen to anybody and their pet. I hope she pulls through. I'm glad your son took her to the vet right away; she sounds as if she's in good hands.

Others may chime in on the subject of collars but I will only speak of my own personal feelings. We only use collars on our pup when we walk him and it's a choker. He never wears one inside the house because accidents do happen.

I have a friend who has had a successful dog walking & dog training business for many years. She says that is rule # 1, never collar a pet inside the home. Especially if a human isn't there to monitor in case of an accident.

Hugs to you LadyD. :love:

Oh, LadyD, I feel so badly for the cat and your son. I know that he is just so full of remorse and regret and fear and concern. Unfortunately freak accidents happen. Hope Patty totally recovers from this.

Pepper has two collars. One is a cute fabric one. But when she's on a leash, it can slide off, so we use a choke chain for those times. Because the chain hangs down, I've always taken it off her when not on a leash because of fear that the loop on the hangy-down part would get caught on something and choke her. But I felt like I was being overly anxious.

When we boarded her while Big D was hospitalized, I told the vet that I wanted her collars taken off. He said that they always take collars off pets when boarded to avoid choking. Now I feel like not such a crazy pants.

LadyD, hopefully by posting this, you will save the lives of other pets. I'll be praying for your son's.

Last edited:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Update on my son's cat Patty. Just got a call from the vet this morning, Patty passed away, a result of her injuries, caused her kidneys to shut down. I'm crying, my son is crying, and his wife is crying. She feels responsible because she bought the collars. Such a sad day. She was in pain from her injuries but was given pain medication. At least we spent an hour with her last night petting her and talking to her and loving on her. Thanks everyone. :cry:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Update on my son's cat Patty. Just got a call from the vet this morning, Patty passed away, a result of her injuries, caused her kidneys to shut down. I'm crying, my son is crying, and his wife is crying. She feels responsible because she bought the collars. Such a sad day. She was in pain from her injuries but was given pain medication. At least we spent an hour with her last night petting her and talking to her and loving on her. Thanks everyone. :cry:

Please don't feel responsible for this tragedy. LadyD, I would never have known until someone told me.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :love:
Take care.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
LadyD, I am so sorry to hear about what Patty is going through. It truly is a freak accident and could happen to anybody and their pet. I hope she pulls through. I'm glad your son took her to the vet right away; she sounds as if she's in good hands.

Others may chime in on the subject of collars but I will only speak of my own personal feelings. We only use collars on our pup when we walk him and it's a choker. He never wears one inside the house because accidents do happen.

I have a friend who has had a successful dog walking & dog training business for many years. She says that is rule # 1, never collar a pet inside the home. Especially if a human isn't there to monitor in case of an accident.

Hugs to you LadyD. :love:

Unfortunately, my son was there when this accident happened. He was attempting to put the collar on her and had it fastened when she decided to jump off of the top of the pet pen he had her on, he worked his hand out of the collar and let her drop to the floor, but immediately he could tell she was walking funny. I do not leave the collar on his dog inside our home, I immediately take it off. Such a tragic thing to happen to a young cat. May she rest in peace.

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
So sorry about the Kitty

I am so sorry about your kitty. What a tragic story. Accidents do happen in the home when we least expect them. Tell your son and his wife to not feel guilty, but to keep the kitty's memory alive in thier hearts.