• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I just saw this in the news - apparently some people feel the solution to barking dogs is to surgically cut their vocal cords so they cannot make noise.

While I am certainly not a fan of incessantly barking dogs, this seems rather extreme and permanent - especially when training or a "bark collar" (that sprays something or shocks the dog) can accomplish the same thing.

One of the Scooterhounds had a bark collar that he wore when we weren't home - it let him bark a certain number of times, then if he continued he got a zap. Seemed to be a very effective solution. (And it was freaking hilarious to see my mother test it for charge by holding it to her throat and barking.)

NYT: Debarking to quiet noisy dogs losing favor - The New York Times- msnbc.com

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I don't believe in removing vocal chords. A bark collar only the most dire situation....and, then only for training.

I had a friend who brought his sheepdog to town and she was very jealous of The General (who had a deep bark). She barked incessantly. The sheepdog had a very high pitched bark that sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard..........it was rough when they were in town.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I haven't read the article and don't want to! but I shall just to be better informed about this awful thing! Permanently & surgically taking away a dog's ability to bark (talk) is so wrong on so many levels. I feel sick just thinking about the possiblity of this happening to any dog. and I can't imagine not hearing any pup of mine talk to me with all the many little noises they make to communicate their affection, love, hunger, desperate need to go out, etc.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You had to charge the collar (sort of like a cell phone) - so she would "test" it to see if it needed to be charged - by holding it up to her throat and "barking" to see if it shocked her. :rofl:

See, the insanity is genetic.

Last edited:

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
You had to charge the collar (sort of like a cell phone) - so she would "test" it to see if it needed to be charged - by holding it up to her throat and "barking" to see if it shocked her. :rofl:

See, the insanity is genetic.

Well?! How'd it feel?

Seriously, this is the lazy persons solution. If you don't have to time to work with your dog and train it not to bark, you don't need one.