• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Please keep an extra eye out for birds and wildlife in peril at this time. Any storm causes extra stress. Tonight on my post stormy walk on the beach, I encountered a bird in distress on the beach. I am especially concerned for all those I have observed in the last few days letting their beloved dogs roam free on the beach, unleashed. This bird does not need to be rushed by an inquisitive dog. There is also a blue heron that regularly feeds at the outfall at Eastern Lake. There is not a day that goes by that some dog, unleashed, rushes and disturbs this wild animal. Please be mindful. I'll post some pictures later.

dunelaker-albums-birds-picture5389-birds-peril-el-after-storm-2-5-10-002.jpg

dunelaker-albums-birds-picture5390-birds-peril-heron-after-storm-2-5-10.jpg

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Thank you for posting this especially about the unleased dogs that are a danger to wildlife and people walking the beach. I was approached by two unleased dogs last week and thought one was going to attack. The other large breed dog kept jumping up on me. I pretended I was talking to the sheriff on my cell and the guy called his dogs and walked very quickly in the other direction. I now have doggie pepper spray on order.

Now back to the subject at hand, the seabirds. I have rescued Loons for the past 10 years here so there is someone who looks out for these birds but I realize it's a long stretch of beach. These Loons are often beached due to the rough conditions in the Gulf and their bodies are literally too heavy for their legs to support so they are trapped on the beach. In the summer they bake in the sun and I don't always find them in time. So the best idea is to wrap them in a towel and take them to the closest dune lake because they can't be out of the water too long. Loons can only take off from or land in the water and their legs are completely helpless on land. They do bite of course, especially if they are stressed so make sure their head is covered too (but make sure they can breathe) or you can gently hold their beak closed. This often happens with no storm in the Gulf and even though they may look ill and confused on shore, they just need to get to a calm body of water. And yes, I had a friend call me a couple of years ago because some dog off the leash was attacking a beached Loon while the owner watched!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Tsutcli, Thank you so much for the advice. I've often wondered what might be done besides waiting to see if all they needed to do was rest. That is important to know that this particular bird might need assistance getting back to water. How to carry and cover was particularly instructional. The gulf is still up quite a bit and I've been out of pocket since I posted. Praying that the tide came up enough for him to get flight and over to nearby coastal dune lake. Maybe someone else saw your post and assisted in the meantime.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Thank you for posting this especially about the unleased dogs that are a danger to wildlife and people walking the beach. I was approached by two unleased dogs last week and thought one was going to attack. The other large breed dog kept jumping up on me. I pretended I was talking to the sheriff on my cell and the guy called his dogs and walked very quickly in the other direction. I now have doggie pepper spray on order.

Now back to the subject at hand, the seabirds. I have rescued Loons for the past 10 years here so there is someone who looks out for these birds but I realize it's a long stretch of beach. These Loons are often beached due to the rough conditions in the Gulf and their bodies are literally too heavy for their legs to support so they are trapped on the beach. In the summer they bake in the sun and I don't always find them in time. So the best idea is to wrap them in a towel and take them to the closest dune lake because they can't be out of the water too long. Loons can only take off from or land in the water and their legs are completely helpless on land. They do bite of course, especially if they are stressed so make sure their head is covered too (but make sure they can breathe) or you can gently hold their beak closed. This often happens with no storm in the Gulf and even though they may look ill and confused on shore, they just need to get to a calm body of water. And yes, I had a friend call me a couple of years ago because some dog off the leash was attacking a beached Loon while the owner watched!

Loons bodies are designed for diving to catch food. Their legs are placed way back on their body to streamline them for swimming. They are not designed to walk on land at all.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Ok, since this is a topic about birds & wildlife in peril, we are hoping someone can help us figure out what is going on with this wild bird in our yard. It was funny the first time we saw it a few days ago and now that it is continuing for days, it doesn't feel so funny anymore. Sure seems like this bird is under some type of stress.

We mad a little movie of it but it's too big too download. We don't know the type bird but it may be a mockingbird. The first thing that happened was it was sitting on my side view mirror on the car, looking at itself, and pecking like crazy. This went on for quite some time. We had never seen a wild bird do this. Now here it is a few days later and it has moved to the other car. This morning it was on the top of the back windshield, pecking and flapping. It flies away but just keeps coming back and doing it over and over.

Should we be doing something to help?

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
The first thing that happened was it was sitting on my side view mirror on the car, looking at itself, and pecking like crazy. This went on for quite some time. We had never seen a wild bird do this. Now here it is a few days later and it has moved to the other car. This morning it was on the top of the back windshield, pecking and flapping. It flies away but just keeps coming back and doing it over and over.

Should we be doing something to help?

I've experienced this too just recently. Every morning a chickadee is on the side window of one of our vehicles, looking at itself in the mirror, flies to the mirror, stares at self in the window reflection, back and forth. Sometimes he will go to the other vehicle and do the same thing...on the mirror, back to the door. It's weird. I think he's looking for a partner. :love:

DolphinDude

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Johns Creek, GA
Should we be doing something to help?[/QUOTE]

I have often seen birds fly at their reflections in windows (not to be confused with those that fly into a window) and also peck at mirrors.

My $0.02 worth is that it is a territorial display (who knows whether the bird cares that it is a reflection vs. a real competitor) and not a problem unless they become totally neurotic and hurt themselves. Perhaps placing something over the mirror or a sticker on the mirror would stop the behavior.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
You have Cardinals in your yard and they are looking to nest! They are extremely territorial and are chasing off their own reflection they see in either your mirror or on sunlit glass. The female will be a tan color with an orange beak and the male is bright red. They are beautiful birds to watch.

There isn't much you can do about them other than move your car or cover up the glass/mirrors. I don't think the bird will hurt itself. It will more likely decide to put its nest further from your vehicle to get away from having to defend the position.

Last edited:

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
I have experienced the "Crazy Bird" for years. He/She danced on my car for years. At one point his/her beak would bloody my car. They are known as rufus sided towhees and I just call them Crazy Birds. I built a garage to stop them from pecking on my white car. It worked. Cover you mirrors or put fake snakes from Walmart on your mirrors to deter until you can build a garage.