• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
From the Walton Sun:

Walton's top tourism official abruptly retires
Sonny Mares, Walton County’s top tourism official, announced his retirement Thursday and stepped down immediately.
Members of his staff at the Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council said Friday they were puzzled by his abrupt departure and did not know the reason he left.
“I don’t know,” said Tracy Louthain, who was named acting executive director of the TDC. “I wish I had more information to share with you.”
Mares, who was contacted at his home Friday, said there’s no big mystery.
“I just felt like it was time to retire and look for other opportunities,” said Mares, who added that he and his wife made the decision together. “It was a decision that took a little while to think about, but you do what’s good for your family.”
Mares, who joined the TDC in 2005, said he has worked in the hospitality industry for 38 years.
“The business is certainly in my blood,” he said. “I may stay in the industry. I may look for something a little less stressful.”
Mares said he has confidence in the TDC staff and the marketing plans that are in place for this season and those to come.
Louthain, who has worked for the TDC since April 2005, said she doesn’t know when the county will hire a permanent replacement for Mares.
“I’m at the helm right now, and the great news is we have a strategic plan and a great staff,” she said.
Louthain said the TDC will unveil a new Web site in the coming weeks.
“We’re doing a lot of fun, forward-thinking things right now,” she said. “Sonny laid the foundation.”
Louthain said the TDC’s executive director answers to the Walton County Commission, which must approve Mares’ replacement.

Walton's top tourism official abruptly retires | walton, sonny, abruptly - Local News - WaltonSun.com

Botes

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2010
Yes - it took him from last Friday to make the decision, plus two visits from the HR director and the County attorney to make the decision to retire.

The other option was a hole in his resume.

How do you know all this? I didn't read that anywhere in the story.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
How do you know all this? I didn't read that anywhere in the story.

As usual the "local media" did not ask the right questions nor did they interview the right people.

They basically report "press releases" from the PIO departments.

You must not be on the distribution list of "insiders".

The most revealing part of the interview was the statement by Louthain.

" Louthain said the TDC’s executive director answers to the Walton County Commission, which must approve Mares’ replacement."

Last edited:

Botes

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2010
As usual the "local media" did not ask the right questions nor did they interview the right people.

They basically report "press releases" from the PIO departments.

You must not be on the distribution list of "insiders".

The most revealing part of the interview was the statement by Louthain.

" Louthain said the TDC?s executive director answers to the Walton County Commission, which must approve Mares? replacement."

Nope, but how does one get on that list? Is there a secret hand shake or something? I like secrets. :cool: