• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

J Walker

Beach Comber
Jan 24, 2009
Anyone else Unhappy with this ordinance?

We rent in South Walton until we build. The plan was to start building as soon as the economy "feels a little more stable", with build costs on 30-A, being just that, $$$ 30-A,we are on hold. But we disagree with losing our beach driving permit!

We are avid wildlife supporters, clean the beaches, attend the fundraisers, and pay taxes, insurances, etc here in South Walton County.
Last year we were granted a permit based on owning land, living here full time and paying taxes. Now the rules say a "dwelling must exist on the property."

We are mulling over the blackmail of forcing us to get a building permit by August 1st or forever lose our beach driving permit. Doesn't anyone else have this issue?
I do believe 1 per household, only to full time residents, and taxpaying land owners.
We agree, no need for out of state development companies to reap the benefits of multiple passes based on land ownership, as in the past.
But we are caring citizens, living here, working here and enjoying the special opportunities that South Walton offers.

DeFuniak Springs, FL (May 10, 2010) ? The Walton County Tax Collector?s Office will begin accepting Beach Driving Permit Renewal Applications on Monday, May 17 at both the DeFuniak Springs and South Walton Annex offices. New requirements have been established by the Board of County Commissioners for the Beach Driving Permits and individuals are encouraged to visit the Tax Collector?s Web site for detailed information regarding the changes.

What does the Beach Permit entitle the holder to?

? Driving privileges in the designated limited access areas on the public beaches in Walton County for a one year period, with the permit expiring on June 1.
? Qualifies the permit holder to apply for a launch permit should he/she wish to launch a vessel in the designated limited access areas.

Significant Ordinance Changes:
? No new permits will be issued. Applicants must have had a permit in his/her name as of January 12, 2010 and for the preceding year.
? Only one permit renewal will be issued for each qualifying parcel of property owned.
? Applicants must own real property in Walton County with a habitable residence constructed on it. (Walton County residents who are immediate family members residing with the property owner may obtain the permit if the additional criteria detailed below are met. Property titled in the name of the business or with multiple owners, requires the permit applicant to show proof of owning a controlling interest in the property.)
? Walton County ad-valorem taxes for the real property cannot be delinquent.
? Vehicle being registered for the permit must be four-wheel drive and be titled in the name of the permit holder.
? Applicant must provide proof of real property ownership (deed or tax receipt) and/or residency to the Tax Collector at the time of application. (Proof of residency required only for immediate family residing with property owner.)

The NEW Charter Permit
The ordinance revision by the Board of County Commissioners created a new Beach Driving Permit specific to Fishing Charter Operators. The Charter Permit is limited to the first 20 applicants who meet the following criteria:
? Charter permit applicants must show proof of Walton County residency, proof of current Coast Guard Captain?s License and proof of current Florida Charter Fishing License.
? Charter permits require the boat and vehicle being registered for permit be owned by the charter operator and be used for the charter operation.

Due to the limited number of Charter Permits to be issued, applications for this permit will only be accepted beginning on June 1. Application cannot be made early for the Charter Permit.

Permit Costs:
? Vehicle on the Beach/ Charter Permit- $105.00
? Vessel Launch- $30.00

Where can you view a copy of the ordinance?

? The revised ordinance is available on the Walton County Tax Collector?s Web site at Walton County Tax Collector. Under the main services menu, select Permits, Beach Driving Permits.
The Walton County Tax Collector?s Office issues Beach Driving Permits on behalf of the Board of County Commissioners. The renewal period for the Beach Driving Permit is June 1 ? August 1 of each year, with permits expiring annually on June 1 regardless of the purchase date. Applicants desiring to renew a permit will have to complete an application form each year and show proper documentation. Applications for Beach Driving Permits will be accepted 15 days prior to June first each year, with the exception of Charter Permits which can be applied for beginning on June 1.

For more information on Beach Driving Permits or other services provided by the Walton County Tax Collector?s Office, please visit waltontaxcollector.com or contact the office at (850) 892 ? 8121. For timely responses to your questions, you may e-mail me direct at godcory@co.walton.fl.us

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I heard that a deputy was walking around checking permits last weekend- hallelujah!! Since there is just one beach that allows vehicles, would it be too hard for the WCSO to check the permits for validity several times during busy beach days? I mean REALLY check- is the permit actually on the vehicle that it is registered to (as opposed to being affixed to a magnet, or it is a copy) and is the paperwork that is supposed to be in the same vehicle as the permit actually in the vehicle?

Saw 2 SUVs yesterday without beach permits.:bang: Ahh...the arrogance of thinking rules don't apply to you......

It will be interesting to see how many fewer vehicles there are after June 1, combined with a heavy enforcement of the permit rules.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The officer who checked the last Sunday we were at the beach, was very thorough and nice. He was on foot and was looking at the stickers closely and wanting to see registrations as well.

And we were all very happy that he was out there checking so carefully! :clap:

J Walker

Beach Comber
Jan 24, 2009
Did u have one?

Do you know they are issuing no new ones? Or did you have one up for renewal from LY?

Is there a waiting list for new applications, or are they just not being issued regardless of how renewals go?

J Walker

Beach Comber
Jan 24, 2009
Based on LY

You can only get one now if you had one last year and have the house permitted by August 1st.
Like us maybe call your commissioner

I've been a property owner in SoWal for 8 years. Does this mean that when we do build our house we cannot get a permit?

J Walker

Beach Comber
Jan 24, 2009
FYI-Doubt it, New ones not up for discussion...apparently the state is coming down on the county. Renewals may or may not be reopened later this year? Talk to your Commissioner.

There is not a waiting list - they just stopped issuing NEW permits and put further restrictions on it due to the numbers/crowding.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be new permits issued in the future years as the criteria and lack of renewals makes the number of permit holders decrease.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am happy with the current system - seems to be addressing the main issues and they are enforcing it well IMO.

It would be nice if in the future (when the number of permit holders has dropped to a certain point) the restrictions allowed full time Sowal residents who own a house to get a new permit, but if that doesn't happen I am okay with it.

Everywhere you go in Sowal you see vehicles with beach permits, so I don't think restricting who can get one is going to change the beach from its current funky parking lot o' beach friends to a vehicle free zone (no matter how much the Grayton folks move the boundary signs).

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am happy with the current system - seems to be addressing the main issues and they are enforcing it well IMO.

It would be nice if in the future (when the number of permit holders has dropped to a certain point) the restrictions allowed full time Sowal residents who own a house to get a new permit, but if that doesn't happen I am okay with it.

Everywhere you go in Sowal you see vehicles with beach permits, so I don't think restricting who can get one is going to change the beach from its current funky parking lot o' beach friends to a vehicle free zone (no matter how much the Grayton folks move the boundary signs).

As I said, it will be interesting to see how it looks after June 1.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
What gives one homeowner the right to a beach permit and the other not? This is not a fair system. I do agree that there are too many permits, but a full time resident should be allowed a permit if other full time residents have one. Believe me - I'd love to see Grayton Beach a no drive beach in the future, but fair is fair!!!!!