• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
Some folks have been dying to tell you what you can and can't do for a long time. Have fun with that.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Whichever way the chips fall with your HOA, there's nothing more pleasant than being outdoors and having someone's cigarette smoke blow in ones face or waft up from downstairs. The question most likely end up as; is the balcony considered part of the unit, or the common area?

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I believe people should be able to do what they please on their property. But I know what it is like for myself and my kids to be affected by someone else's smoking.

Took my son fishing last week. A big charter out of Destin. There was an older gentleman who would smoke a cigarette about every half hour. We were all outside on the boat with the ocean spray and breeze. But yet it was still horrible. I couldn't help but think- wow, if this person only knew how much of a negative impact this was having on our experience I wonder if he would still smoke on the boat?

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Smokers are being more and more ostricized-
relative to previous decades...

But if you remove the memory of times when one could smoke on planes or at the office and view the act as if you were an alien visiting,,,

It would seem strange for it to be okay that someone can set a plant on fire that was dipped in chemicals and let the smoke waft about for others to smell or inhale.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
It all comes down to who owns the balcony. If the balconies are limited common areas, condo owners have to abide by the rules the association sets, as long as the hoa is within it's mandate. If on the other hand the owners own the balconies, it's a different situation.

We should be applying the same common sense approach to a lot of things, like weed, meth, coke, gambling, sex, etc.. If it's an individual decision, occurs on private property, and doesn't unwillingly effect someone else, it shouldn't be restricted by governing bodies.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It all comes down to who owns the balcony. If the balconies are limited common areas, condo owners have to abide by the rules the association sets, as long as the hoa is within it's mandate. If on the other hand the owners own the balconies, it's a different situation.

We should be applying the same common sense approach to a lot of things, like weed, meth, coke, gambling, sex, etc.. If it's an individual decision, occurs on private property, and doesn't unwillingly effect someone else, it shouldn't be restricted by governing bodies.

I've had an opportunity to speak to an attorney regarding this issue and will update all when the issue is resolved.

Stay tuned.

Little Fish

Michelle123

Beach Comber
Mar 7, 2012
I know this thread is really old, but was this ever resolved? The same thing is happening to my parents at their condo right now. My dad is 76 and smokes his pipe out on his balcony twice a day, and has for the 28 years they've lived there. They live on the top floor, so no smoke bothering people above them, and have made sure the neighbors on each side don't mind (the top floor is only for long-term residents). Now the HOA is saying that as of January, no more smoking on the balcony. Does anybody know if he has any recourse, or have any suggestions? This is one of his big pleasures in life, and involves the trifecta of the pipe, the gulf, and his private balcony (and sometimes a glass of wine :)) Thanks for any help or ideas.