• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Please post a photo of that beautiful landscaping at Target in Pier Park, the next time you go. All I remember is blacktop and concrete with big barriers to keep cars from running into the entrance.

Some of those "positives" you list for Target, are actually happening at Walmart, too, ie- fluorescent lighting, recycling of cardboard boxes, searching for alternative energy, and partnering with the Salvation Army.

Either those things are a positive or they are not. You cannot pick and choose where you want to apply them. You are giving Target credit for those things, but are saying that Walmart doesn't get the credit for them, saying, "Walmart has no positives."

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
One thing positive you can say about the Destin Target is that it was the redevelopment of a blighted property. That shopping center really struggled to find stable tennants before the big box moved in. (Though I do miss the folks there that used to run the pet store that closed up when Petsmart moved in down the way)

In contrast, Walmart is a big time greenfield developer, and many of its former older smaller stores that were closed when a new SuperWalmart opened up down the road have really struggled to find a redevelopment option. The quickness with which ResortQuest and Liza Jackson moved into the old store in Ft. Walton Beach is not typical redevelopment speed for former Walmarts.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't think I ever seen a bigger group of chicken little's arguing over whether or not the sky is falling while it hurtles to the ground.

Andy A, for the record there is an assisted living facility located on Mack Bayou. Skunky can get you some brochures.
I know about that one. Its not for me. BTW, if you have half the smarts and one quarter the education I have when you reach my age you'll be in great shape.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Please post a photo of that beautiful landscaping at Target in Pier Park, the next time you go. All I remember is blacktop and concrete with big barriers to keep cars from running into the entrance.

Some of those "positives" you list for Target, are actually happening at Walmart, too, ie- fluorescent lighting, recycling of cardboard boxes, searching for alternative energy, and partnering with the Salvation Army.

Either those things are a positive or they are not. You cannot pick and choose where you want to apply them. You are giving Target credit for those things, but are saying that Walmart doesn't get the credit for them, saying, "Walmart has no positives."

Target chose to do those things. Walmart was embarrassed into it. In my world the former is better corporate practice.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
SSB, are you sure they are clearing for Wal-Mart and it's not CHELCO cutting around lines? They've done some large clear cutting in spots.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Target chose to do those things. Walmart was embarrassed into it. In my world the former is better corporate practice.
Again, it matters not the reason why, but if their actions are benefitial, they should be acknowledged as being beneficial. You drive on the right side of the road which is beneficial, but you are forced into doing so.

Behind all actions of business, is a common thread, money. Walmart chooses to use fluorescent lighting, looks for efficiencies in distribution, watches for savings in power, recycles cardboard boxes all for the same reasons that Target does -- the bottom line -- more profits, even if a benefit is being responsible. A large business can be as nice as it wants to be, as long as it figures out a way to stay in business.

Everyone tends to pull for the underdog (and yes, Walmart was once an underdog), until the underdog gets on top.

I'm not trying to tell you that Walmart is a great company. I don't think it is. In fact, I typically refer to it as "Not-So-Super Walmart." However, I don't believe other mega stores to be great either, even if some of their practices are beneficial.

Someone commented about the people who shopped at Walmart. I used to feel the same way until a friend of mine enlightened me. She had problems with going to Walmart. It was chaotic and the people were rude. Then, it hit her -- If she couldn't find peace in Walmart, she would never know peace.

In the past, when I went to Walmart, I found the customers to be in my way, and only thinking about themselves. I now realize that it was me who was in a hurry and thinking about only myself. My attitude has shifted, as has my perception of Walmart customers. I'm now kind and I slow down like I'm on beach time, and it is absolutely wonderful. I find that the customers are nice people.

Sorry Joe, some customers at Walmart are an utter nightmare to be around regardless of what zen practices you might wish to employ. Our beliefs and perceptions filter the world around us to a large degree, but in the end it's still fruitless to attempt to polish a turd. ;)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Sorry Joe, some customers at Walmart are an utter nightmare to be around regardless of what zen practices you might wish to employ. Our beliefs and perceptions filter the world around us to a large degree, but in the end it's still fruitless to attempt to polish a turd. ;)

I agree with you Dougie.

when I'm in Walmart, the store is so massive, they offer absolutely everything on the planet. Stores are better organized/designed these days so it doesn't make me feel as icky as it used to. But, it does overwhelm me - the merchandise as well as the crowds. I just stay away.

Target, on the other hand, is very well organized and as big as it is, they only sell certain things. At least our Target stores offer quality items, at normal every day prices (not necessarily discount - normally). They don't sell everything under the sun either.

These stores are completely and totally different. In what they do, how they do it, what it looks like, what they offer, etc..

NunYa

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2010
Well, here's my two cents........

It is quite clear no one wants it and everybody will be there. But the fact is it is coming.
Period. So it's sorta like the trashy date that the favorite son brings home and announces that he's marrying .

Simply put it is what it is.