• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Scooterbro's dog has had 2 seizures - one was when he was on meds and recovering from being neutered, the other 5 months later and more severe.

He is an incredibly healthy young chocolate lab and the vet's only suggestion is to put him on anti-seizure meds.

Scooterbro is very frustrated and the seizures freak him out, but he doesn't want to put his dog on meds (that he thinks are bad for him) for no reason.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
Seizures are horrible, I have never felt so helpless than when one has a seizure. I just put the dog featured to the left down, he started having seizures, he had brain cancer. He was also 10 years old. I have seen several pure breed dogs have seizures, usually it is from an head injury as a pup, or epilepsy. The meds will make the dog lethargic until he get adjusted to them, but anything is better than having to deal with the seizures. Dr. Barr in Freeport, will work to get the dosage right, but other than phenabarbital, I don't know any other treatment. Usually they get more frequent and more severe without the meds. Hope the baby does well on the meds. Keep us posted, on how he is doing.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Are there any tests they can do to figure out the cause? That is the biggest part of Scooterbro's frustration - they can't tell him anything about the cause or how to prevent it, just want to medicate him.

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
Our dog has seizures when she is stressed or overheated. She is on phenobarb and this helps tremendously. We have blood work done to check the drug level every couple of months to make sure she is getting enough meds, or not too much. She is very active for a dog her age, even with the meds. We don't know what causes her seizures, only what triggers them. Hope this helps.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Additional meds

Our dog has seizures when she is stressed or overheated. She is on phenobarb and this helps tremendously. We have blood work done to check the drug level every couple of months to make sure she is getting enough meds, or not too much. She is very active for a dog her age, even with the meds. We don't know what causes her seizures, only what triggers them. Hope this helps.
My dogs that had seizures were helped by the addition of potassium bromide liquid. Doug's pharmacy in Niceville will make it for you, with presciption, of course.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Go for the meds

Are there any tests they can do to figure out the cause? That is the biggest part of Scooterbro's frustration - they can't tell him anything about the cause or how to prevent it, just want to medicate him.
In this case, the phenobarb is really the best answer. Very little is known about the cause of this pretty common ailment.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
In this case, the phenobarb is really the best answer. Very little is known about the cause of this pretty common ailment.

You beat me to the punch. My bro-in-law's beagle suffers from them, too. He's been on Phenobarb for as long as I can remember with no ill effects.

Some dogs just have them. They need to make sure he doesn't have something in his noggin like a cyst or tumor, first, to be sure...

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Where is Crazy K?? Her Chocolate Lab had the same thing, but lived a good life until cancer took him. She can tell you all about it.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
Could be canine diabetes and that can be regulated with diet, insulin or a combination of both. Have a vet check the dog's blood sugar. May take an overnight stay but worth it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

They did blood tests on him last friday, then he had another bad seizure wednesday, so he is on phenobarb now.

Hopefully that will do the trick, as Scooterbro really gets upset by the seizures - the dog is his best friend and constant companion - they are only apart when he is at work or my parents visit and take the dog on an early walk.