• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NunYa

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2010
i would like to know the average hourly wage for those 425 jobs. those workers will have a heck of a time finding affordable housing anywhere nearby despite the real estate bust. we already have walmarts in ft. walton beach, destin, defuniak springs and panama city beach...do we really need another one???? do we really have the year 'round population to support this box store? i'm sure walmart did some kind of study but i just don't understand the sense of putting in a 5th walmart in the area. if it fails, it will just be another empty box. i am glad it will not be a superstore but i really wish it would not be built. most people i know around here did not move to south walton for convenience..they moved here for the natural beauty.

An average hourly wage is better than no hourly wage at all.
Or would you just rather feed everyone and pay there bills?

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I for one am looking forward to it coming. Yes, we live in paradise, but many of us still need the conviences. If you don't like them, don't shop there. Keep your snooty selves in Grayton or wherever. And by the way, I'm so tired of people complaining that its coming to 30A. Its on a US highway. Scenic corridor or not, its still a highway. What, are you afraid it will destroy the view from the Donut Hole?

Last edited by a moderator:

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
so you don't have enough walmarts to choose from already? just because someone wants to keep their area pristine and beautiful does not mean they are "snooty". how narrow minded. i guess you could care less about the environment. maybe you should move to a large city where pollution is ever present along with noise, crime, etc. you would probably feel more comfortable and at home. you would have your fill of walmarts and everything else you could possibly want. i've seen unrestrained growth, and i can assure you, once walmart is built, be prepared for more to come. if you wanted convenience in the first place, i have no idea why you moved here. as for the jobs walmart will create, i think our area should focus on attracting other types of businesses other than retail so that a higher level of employment can become available for those who want to live and work here and not have to drive an hour to work so they can live in affordable housing.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
so you don't have enough walmarts to choose from already? just because someone wants to keep their area pristine and beautiful does not mean they are "snooty". how narrow minded. i guess you could care less about the environment. maybe you should move to a large city where pollution is ever present along with noise, crime, etc. you would probably feel more comfortable and at home. you would have your fill of walmarts and everything else you could possibly want. i've seen unrestrained growth, and i can assure you, once walmart is built, be prepared for more to come. if you wanted convenience in the first place, i have no idea why you moved here. as for the jobs walmart will create, i think our area should focus on attracting other types of businesses other than retail so that a higher level of employment can become available for those who want to live and work here and not have to drive an hour to work so they can live in affordable housing.

Treehugger...

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I for one am looking forward to it coming. Yes, we live in paradise, but many of us still need the conviences. If you don't like them, don't shop there. Keep your snooty selves in Grayton or wherever. And by the way, I'm so tired of people complaining that its coming to 30A. Its on a US highway. Scenic corridor or not, its still a highway. What, are you afraid it will destroy the view fron the Donut Hole?

That's right on the money. It's not on 30A, and it's definitely not scenic. We need a one stop convenience store. We have an opportunity to have convenience and quaintness, the best of both worlds. It doesn't interfere with the appearance of 30a but I guess in the minds of some people it sends out a negative karmic vibe or some other such nonsense.:roll:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I know I'll get flamed for this, but that's OK. I'm wearing my big boy britches.

The average Wal-mart Super Store employs about 425 people per store. Given Walton County hovering between a 7.5 - 9.0 unemployment rate (couldn't find a hard recent number) I would think that from that perspective it will be good for Sowal's economy and well being...

OK...lemme have it!
I would be curious if there are statistics from various locations as to how many jobs are lost from businesses that go under or have to reduce their sales staff because of a Walmart entering their areas. Does it balance the jobs created? I have no idea but I figure if the Walmart sells Liquor for instance, that might adversely affect some people's jobs at existing liquor stores if sales drop because of Walmart's competition. :dunno:

Last edited:
I thought you were...

Sock_Puppet_1_small.jpg

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I am not a fan of Walmart, never shop there unless it is to get Christmas Gift cards for family that do shop there.

But I too am somewhat surprised at the dislike, almost hatred of Walmart and the acceptance of other big box corporations.

In my opinion there is not much difference between all of them except Walmart's sins are out there for all to see and the others are like the Wizard of Oz, looks good until you peak behind the curtain.

If you dig you can find dirt on both Walmart and Target corporations. In many small towns others feel toward Walmart as many of you do about Publix and Target.

http://www.wisebread.com/is-target-really-just-as-bad-as-wal-mart

Last edited: