• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I love Pyrex - already have measuring cups, mixing bowls, baking pans, and tiny storage containers - this movie (and Christmas) are my excuses to get the storage containers.

The only thing I drink out of plastic (besides occasional milk) is Ocean Spray juice with a cash deposit in California and 5 cents back in Maine and Hawaii.

The "plastic machine" in Germany fascinated me. Obviously huge manufacturers like Coke and Ocean Spray are already reusing bottles, so why can't we do that here?

One other biggie - garbage bags. I only use them in the kitchen, but would love to get biodegradable ones (current ones are 65% recycled plastic). Anyone have a source?

Bio-bags on ebay. I use them for my compost, but they have garbage size. You can find them on Amazon too.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Ask at Publix about produce bags, I saw them one day in the produce section, but they seem to have vanished. They're around 99 cents I believe.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
One of the side effects of all the plastic use/consumption is an increase in ADHD in kids. Bisphenol A (used to harden plastic) is a known endocrine disruptor and the National Toxicology Program is concerned about it - but the FDA isn't. :roll:

This has been rapidly increasing to the point that 1 in 10 kids is now diagnosed with it.

1 in 10 kids in U.S. has ADHD, new study says - Health - Kids and parenting - msnbc.com

Well that is, oh look at that, did you watch the game last night, what's for dinner, how about that weather, what were we talking about?

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
I've heard a few comments to the effect that Bag It runs a little long. I think so too, yet this thread discussion shows one reason it's long.

It's a huge, broad issue. The filmmakers thought it was just going to be about plastic bags, but as they dug into it, they discovered so much more -- about overall plastics overuse, BPA, recycling challenges, etc.

I'm glad you all got to see this important, provoking film.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Publix is doing a holiday special. If you donate for holiday meals at the checkout you get a free reusable bag.

It's going to be a rough holiday season for many, so that is an easy way to help folks out and use fewer plastic bags.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am being stymied right and left in my attempts to de-plasticize my life!

Everything and its mother is plastic wrapped! Tried to buy bar soap instead of liquid at the store (like the movie suggested) and it now has a plastic wrapper. :bang:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I am being stymied right and left in my attempts to de-plasticize my life!

Everything and its mother is plastic wrapped! Tried to buy bar soap instead of liquid at the store (like the movie suggested) and it now has a plastic wrapper. :bang:

The soap peddler uses a small paper wrap, and you can always just buy in bulk with her and have no packaging.

It's also locally sourced and produced.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The soap peddler uses a small paper wrap, and you can always just buy in bulk with her and have no packaging.

It's also locally sourced and produced.

This is for my anti-bacterial soap - for cleaning off whatever nasty project I have gotten into.

I thought she used plastic wrap on her bars too. I already get lotion and shampoo/shower gel from her, so I will ask Saturday.

Was just pissed off that boring old Dial anti-bacterial soap, which I know used to come wrapped in paper has jumped on the plastic bandwagon.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This is for my anti-bacterial soap - for cleaning off whatever nasty project I have gotten into.

I thought she used plastic wrap on her bars too. I already get lotion and shampoo/shower gel from her, so I will ask Saturday.

Was just pissed off that boring old Dial anti-bacterial soap, which I know used to come wrapped in paper has jumped on the plastic bandwagon.

Anti-bacterial soap is really bad for the environment. Just saying.