• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks to all our vets wherever you may be. May today be a day when honor and gratitude comes your way. :wave:

Freeport to unveil monument at Veterans Day ceremony | freeport, monument, unveil - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

The Freeport Town Planters Society raised more than $40,000 in seven months in order to build the city?s first monument to honor veterans.

The group will unveil the new monument dedicated to Freeport residents who served at the city?s first Veterans Day ceremony, according to Tim Ard, one of the group?s members. The monument is located in front of the Freeport City Hall.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I second this. Thank you for posting! And, thank you to all of our Veterans for your unselfish service.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I, also, thank everyone who served in the military, and their families who sacrificed so much, so that their loved ones could serve. I don't like all of the executive decisions which place our military in wars, but I am very grateful that there are so many people who are willing to shed blood so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms in the United States of America.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Freebies and Discounts for Veterans

In honor of Veterans Day, a number of restaurants and retailers are offering deals and giveaways to active military personnel, veterans and their families.

Here's a sampling of what's on offer:

Applebee?s is offering free entrees to all active duty and veteran soldiers.
Outback Steakhouse has a free Bloomin' Onion and beverage deal.
T.G.I. Friday's is offering a free entree with purchase to active and retired military. The deal runs through Sunday.
The Golden Corral will offer a free appreciation meal to active military and veterans on Monday.
Pizzeria Uno is offering a free entree or pizza, with purchase of another, to active military or veterans.
Brides Across America is giving away dresses to military brides.
Home Depot and Lowe's are both offering 10 percent discounts to current and former military personnel.
Dollar General also is offering a 10 percent discount to military and their families.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I, also, thank everyone who served in the military, and their families who sacrificed so much, so that their loved ones could serve. I don't like all of the executive decisions which place our military in wars, but I am very grateful that there are so many people who are willing to shed blood so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms in the United States of America.

I agree completely. They don't get to pick and choose where they fight, so no matter what you think of a particular conflict, be grateful there are men and women who are willing to do the kind of work that a lot of us wouldn't be capable of doing.

zip3

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2010
I salute my father and my father-in-law. Both served in WW11 and both flew P47s. Young kids leaving college to serve and fly by the seat of their pants.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Just a word from a personal standpoint, though I am sure most, if not all would echo the sentiment.
It was my honor and privilege to have served. I saw things, did things and learned things I would not have been able to learn or participate in in civilian life. Being a career military individual is not for everyone for a number of reasons but for those who finish a career to retirement, the rewards are quite appreciated and substantial.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Grampa Bug - he was a tank driver in Europe in WWII.

Grandpa Scooter was in the Pacific and narrowly missed Pearl Harbor - his ship was scheduled to be docked there, but luckily were sent on a rescue mission and delayed.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Grampa Bug - he was a tank driver in Europe in WWII.

Grandpa Scooter was in the Pacific and narrowly missed Pearl Harbor - his ship was scheduled to be docked there, but luckily were sent on a rescue mission and delayed.

Grandpa scooter wasn't on a mine sweeper was he? :shock: My grandfather was on a mine sweeper that narrowly missed Pearly Harbor as well due to a rescue mission.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That would be too weird!

Not sure, he didn't ever really talk about it - I only heard it referred to as a destroyer once or twice.