• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Porkchop

Beach Comber
Nov 16, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach
Hello,

I am new to the area, and living a few blocks from the Gulf in Blue Mountain. I'm a Yankee who's fishing experience all comes from the Great Lakes and trips into Canada for Pike and Muskie. I know absolutely nothing about salt water, but would like to get into surf fishing, given my proximity to the water.

Anyone have any advice on where to start, how to learn, etc...? I moved here for a job, and don't have a single friend or relative in all of FL.

Thanks!

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
I live in Blue Mt but I don't fish.

Today would not be a good day though.

Around sunrise my friend Tom is generally at the public access in Blue Mountain.

He drives a white Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Ask him, he fishes a lot.

Don't tell anybody else but you picked the best place to live in SoWal.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
:welcome:

Ask River Otter!

100_1154.jpg

Jerry Lewis

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
Get a surf rod, a 2-hook rig and pyramid weight and some shrimp and a rod holder to stick in the sand. Don't forget the beer.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Head over to Yellow Fin 850 231-9024. They can set you up with the proper equipment, advice, and if necessary license. Not sure if the freebie period is still happening or not, but in the recent past you had to have one.

Porkchop

Beach Comber
Nov 16, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach
Thanks everyone! I know that I'm really going to enjoy living and working here. I can't wait to get my bait in the water, and maybe even buy myself a good fishing kayak at some point.

Try your luck in one of the Dunal lakes Porkchop! It's a bit more like what you are used to, but you have the added thrill of potentially catching salt water fish by the ocean and fresh water further back. I am actually heading out on eastern lake in a couple minutes to catch some bass. Welcome to paradise! :)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Try your luck in one of the Dunal lakes Porkchop! It's a bit more like what you are used to, but you have the added thrill of potentially catching salt water fish by the ocean and fresh water further back. I am actually heading out on eastern lake in a couple minutes to catch some bass. Welcome to paradise! :)

Actually most of the Dune Lakes are pretty much fresh water right now, it's going take a good hurricane to change the balance.