• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Actually most of the Dune Lakes are pretty much fresh water right now, it's going take a good hurricane to change the balance.

Phillips Inlet is still sanded in......I think the time has passed and needs to be re-opened or every salt water fish trapped that needs to get out will die from the winter temps.The resident saltwater fish will die from the influx of too much freshwater.Oh well,at least the jet skis will still have a lake to play in......

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Phillips Inlet is still sanded in......I think the time has passed and needs to be re-opened or every salt water fish trapped that needs to get out will die from the winter temps.The resident saltwater fish will die from the influx of too much freshwater.Oh well,at least the jet skis will still have a lake to play in......

Why does it need to be opened? Nature will take care of itself and open when it's ready. I'm surprised that no one's blaming the beach re nourishment that happened over at Pinnacle Port.

Why does it need to be opened? Nature will take care of itself and open when it's ready. I'm surprised that no one's blaming the beach re nourishment that happened over at Pinnacle Port.
Because nature did not sand it in.There is a 15ft.tall berm of sand at the mouth.It will never open naturally at this point.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
So remove the berm, why go further and open it unnaturally?

The problem at Eastern Lake is very complex and there is no way this body of water will revert back to it's brackish state without human intervention - The problem was created years ago by human intervention and the county commisioners will not take any action without concensus of the local Eastern Lake property owners and unfortunately there are differences of opinion among many residents. The sad part is when the berm was removed, its seemed like the logical time to take action but I guess thats why I'm not in politics :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The problem at Eastern Lake is very complex and there is no way this body of water will revert back to it's brackish state without human intervention - The problem was created years ago by human intervention and the county commisioners will not take any action without concensus of the local Eastern Lake property owners and unfortunately there are differences of opinion among many residents. The sad part is when the berm was removed, its seemed like the logical time to take action but I guess thats why I'm not in politics :D

Thanks, but the original issue veered off course to Phillips Inlet.

As to Eastern Lake it's actually cyclical and isn't supposed to be fresh, salt, or brackish water consistently. The very nature of coastal dune lakes is that they are constantly changing.

ksyoshikawa

Beach Comber
Nov 12, 2009
Welcome to BMB! I was raised in Michigan spent most of my adult life on the east coast and love it here! The surf fishing is fun - Buz had some great advice - look for Tommy at the BMB access he is very friendly and knowledgeable.