• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
idlewind,
I'm for smaller government, too. I fully believe in people helping people, not government taking money from some to give to others.

That said, please tell me how much tax money you think is spent opening a cold shelter. I think it is probably a trivial amount here in Walton Co. The EOC already owns the cots, they already pay staff salaries, building is already heated for other uses, and most, sometimes all, of the people working in the shelters are volunteers.

Using your firm idea that the gov't should never be responsible for the people safety and security, let's put that in a scenario where SoWal (heaven forbid) gets hit by a cat 5 hurricane with destroying every home in SoWal. Should we rely on the local churches, businesses and fellow SoWallers to provide shelter, food and water? I guess you also think that we should eliminate the police and fire departments, and get some guns for protection and revenge for wrongdoers and buy a lot of garden hoses in case a neighbors house catches on fire.

Are you really so firm in your beliefs that we should have such a small gov't that they offer nothing?

idlewind,
I'm for smaller government, too. I fully believe in people helping people, not government taking money from some to give to others.

That said, please tell me how much tax money you think is spent opening a cold shelter. I think it is probably a trivial amount here in Walton Co. The EOC already owns the cots, they already pay staff salaries, building is already heated for other uses, and most, sometimes all, of the people working in the shelters are volunteers.

Using your firm idea that the gov't should never be responsible for the people safety and security, let's put that in a scenario where SoWal (heaven forbid) gets hit by a cat 5 hurricane with destroying every home in SoWal. Should we rely on the local churches, businesses and fellow SoWallers to provide shelter, food and water? I guess you also think that we should eliminate the police and fire departments, and get some guns for protection and revenge for wrongdoers and buy a lot of garden hoses in case a neighbors house catches on fire.

Are you really so firm in your beliefs that we should have such a small gov't that they offer nothing?

It seems to be a common argument these days for government spending that the amounts spent are "trivial." I heard a liberal the other night describe 400 million dollars as trivial and the next night heard 3.3 billion described as a minorl amount. That thinking is called the slippery slope. We will never solve our spending and deficit problems until we realize that every dollar of taxpayer money is a public trust and must be spent wisely.

That said, there are legitimate functions of government that must be funded and we should make sure are provided with excellence. Public safety (police, fire. ambulance. military) have always been considered functions of government. And the Cat 5 hurricane is a catastrophe and needs a government response due to the occurance being unusual and the number of victims being huge. Freezing weather is a yearly occurance and the services needed are only for a very small percentage of the population. Charities can provide those services better and more efficiently than government.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, in many cases charities can provide services better than government, but the charities are overloaded. Donations are down, the same volunteers are stretched thin, and need has skyrocketed.

Frankly I am appalled that so many think keeping people from freezing to death is an issue of politics and budget.

Yes, in many cases charities can provide services better than government, but the charities are overloaded. Donations are down, the same volunteers are stretched thin, and need has skyrocketed.

Frankly I am appalled that so many think keeping people from freezing to death is an issue of politics and budget.

In many cases (Walton County for one) governments are overloaded. Tax receipts are down, the number of workers are down and the remaining are stretched thin, and needs for legitimate services have skyrocketed.

Frankly I am appalled that so many do not realize that everything is an issue of politics and budget.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
In many cases (Walton County for one) governments are overloaded. Tax receipts are down, the number of workers are down and the remaining are stretched thin, and needs for legitimate services have skyrocketed.

Frankly I am appalled that so many do not realize that everything is an issue of politics and budget.

Frankly I am appalled that politics lost it's humanitarian side. Humanitarianism is the back bone of this country and the reason the US was created. Remember, "give me your tired, give me your poor"? Statue of Liberty.

[/B]

Frankly I am appalled that politics lost it's humanitarian side. Humanitarianism is the back bone of this country and the reason the US was created. Remember, "give me your tired, give me your poor"? Statue of Liberty.

At the time that was written what was offered the tired and poor was an opportunity, not a handout. Churches and charities took care of the handouts and government worked to create an atmosphere of opportunity. Today we have reversed this to our peril.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Having said that--what about the irony of having to open a homeless shelter in a county that is awash with empty houses and condos? Instead of using tax dollars to provide shelters for folks in need, maybe you'd feel better to look upon it as a security measure to keep the homeless from breaking into the empty beach houses to get out of the cold.

I was going to mention that. This country has billions upon billions of square feet of empty space consuming enormous amounts of power.

For any rental owners out there that would like to help without having a bum stay in your house, go to Geronimo - Vacation Rentals for Charity and donate empty time in your rental. You can designate the proceeds go to any organization that helps homeless or any other cause.