• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
There's no bustle at this new international airport in the Florida Panhandle: Many flights have empty seats, the security line's a breeze and ticket agents sometimes outnumber passengers.

The airport offers 19 daily flights on Delta and Southwest to Atlanta, Baltimore, Houston, Memphis, Nashville and Orlando, but those flights were only about 60 percent full on average in October ? compared to a national average of 83 percent.

That number is down from 76 percent in the peak summer tourism months of June and July, according to the National Air Transport Association. The numbers haven't deterred the airport's boosters who view it the key to unlocking the economic potential of a sleepy slice of the Panhandle.

Others see weak passenger numbers this fall as a sign the airport should never have been built.

New international airport in Panama City isn't being used by many people | panama, city, people - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

Shocking I say, just shocking! :sarc:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Hmmm...I wonder if it has anything to do with the general decline in the economy... anybody know if other airports around the country are also experiencing a decrease in attendance?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I think part of it is the process of discovering the right level of service. Southwest has given them a really good spike in passenger count, but I'm guessing that 60% load is probably going to lead to some flight reductions (Will/singing chicken, any thoughts on that?) in the short term until demand strengthens again.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
As a frequent flyer, here's what I see:

-Fares are down out of ECP compared to PFN, but not across the board. You can count on low fares on any route both Delta and Southwest service. Sometimes, fares are low where there is no competition, sometimes not. Fares are usually much more competitive with VPS, which used to be much lower than PFN. I have only flown out of VPS twice this year - in a normal year prior to ECP, I would have flown out of VPS probably 60% of the time.

-The long term parking lot is full much of the time, and the new expansion to it is also full. Either they mis-sized it, or they have more flyers than they anticipated.

-The % full seat rate has got to be affected by the size of planes at ECP. PFN accomodated ONLY the small CRJs, while there are some flights now in "real" airliners.

-The oil spill HAS to have affected air travel into PC. Lord knows, it's affected everything else related to tourism.

-The airport is oversized for the current traffic. But, I thought that was the whole point - having room to grow - regardless of whether or not you think "St. Joe Int'l" was a boondoggle or not.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
Only time will tell.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
treefrog said:
-The long term parking lot is full much of the time, and the new expansion to it is also full. Either they mis-sized it, or they have more flyers than they anticipated.
Amen. I've been twice on uneventful weekends and both times the short and long term lots were filled and the temporary on grass parking had 40+ cars in it. Maybe it's just a lot of people hanging out at the airport for the coffee and chicklets.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Gee - the city that lost out on Southwest sounds a little bitter. News Flash: tourism travel to Emerald Coast plummets after summer.

I posted this on the NWFBIA thread earlier:

Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport is drawing nearly 3 times the passengers than the old one

Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport officials are a bit disturbed about a national story questioning the new airport's success. The Associated Press story questions the "future viability" of the new airport because of low passenger count. Officials say the new airport is drawing nearly 3 times more passengers than the old one....

Curtis is frustrated by an AP report that implies the airport is faltering. The story reports, on average, October flights were only 60% full, compared to a national average of 83%. "The monthly number that they quoted, 60% is just one monthly number. You need to remember the traffic is seasonal, especially our summer months are extremely busy. It breaks off a bit as we move into the fall."

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The % full seat rate has got to be affected by the size of planes at ECP. PFN accomodated ONLY the small CRJs, while there are some flights now in "real" airliners.

Like I said.

3X the passengers is believeable. PFN was incredibly sleepy. There are folks moving through ECP.

I'm not a booster, in fact I hated to see PFN go. As a traveler, I just love the convenience of a tiny airport. I'm just observing how it works out from a seat at the gate waiting to board every week or two.

SJ - You walk inside, and there are half a dozen people waiting to pick up someone incoming. Yet, the short term lot is full. Makes me wonder if they are using short term for employee parking. Either that, or there are a lot of folks paying a steep tariff for longer term parking.