• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
It was a tough call Tuesday. Here is what happened at Butler. Yes, we have now constructed a new middle school (which, by the way, many people said was not needed when we started it) and the old ECMS is available to the Butler kids beginning next year. There would be roughly 144 extra student stations available if we were moving middle school kids from Butler to the old ECMS. But, with the class size amendment, we can have more kids in a middle school classroom than an elementary class room, so that "extra space" is reduced by 4 bodies per available classrooms. Those number DO NOT include portables.

I want to do away with portables as soon as possible. Just my prejudice.

Give the historical growth patterns, we believed when we started on the new ECMS, that once we completed the new ECMS and allow Butler to take over the old ECMS we would have more than ample space, without portables, for the k-5 students.

Unfortunately, a trend started developing last year where the historical data just went out the window. Butler grew much faster beginning at the end of last school year and during this school year than we ever anticipated. In fact, faster than anyone anticipated. Also, for some reason, our special student education population grew quickly at Butler and Bay. Those kids often have be put in a classrom of less than ten kids, putting further pressure on the space down there. So, as I said at both the parent meeting and the board meeting, we got caught with our britches down.

We will fix the problem through construction eventually. Fortunately, we designed the new ECMS as a K-8 facility so that the "core facilities" the kitchen, office, media center, can accomodate a new elementary wing adjacent to the school. That will certainly speed up building those new classrooms.

One idea that has been floated for the future is to build the elementary school wing at the new ECMS site. Turn Butler and the new elementary wing into 2 - 5 centers and convert Bay into a Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st grade center.

The move of the 5th graders to the middle school will be, I believe, a stop gap measure to allow us to catch up. We will start the capital outlay budget cycle in June and I am sure, given what has happened in elementary grades in south Walton, we will dramtically change that plan. I trust that the administration and teachers at ECMS will do an excellent job at shielding and protecting the 5th graders from too much pain.

Thanks guys for the input.....

Last edited:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
By the way, neither South Walton High School nor Butler opened at or above capacity.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
It was a tough call Tuesday. Here is what happened at Butler. Yes, we have now constructed a new middle school (which, by the way, many people said was not needed when we started it) and the old ECMS is available to the Butler kids beginning next year. There would be roughly 144 extra student stations available if we were moving middle school kids from Butler to the old ECMS. But, with the class size amendment, we can have more kids in a middle school classroom than an elementary class room, so that "extra space" is reduced by 4 bodies per available classrooms. Those number DO NOT include portables.

I want to do away with portables as soon as possible. Just my prejudice.

Give the historical growth patterns, we believed when we started on the new ECMS, that once we completed the new ECMS and allow Butler to take over the old ECMS we would have more than ample space, without portables, for the k-5 students.

Unfortunately, a trend started developing last year where the historical data just went out the window. Butler grew much faster beginning at the end of last school year and during this school year than we ever anticipated. In fact, faster than anyone anticipated. Also, for some reason, our special student education population grew quickly at Butler and Bay. Those kids often have be put in a classrom of less than ten kids, putting further pressure on the space down there. So, as I said at both the parent meeting and the board meeting, we got caught with our britches down.

We will fix the problem through construction eventually. Fortunately, we designed the new ECMS as a K-8 facility so that the "core facilities" the kitchen, office, media center, can accomodate a new elementary wing adjacent to the school. That will certainly speed up building those new classrooms.

One idea that has been floated for the future is to build the elementary school wing at the new ECMS site. Turn Butler and the new elementary wing into 2 - 5 centers and convert Bay into a Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st grade center.

The move of the 5th graders to the middle school will be, I believe, a stop gap measure to allow us to catch up. We will start the capital outlay budget cycle in June and I am sure, given what has happened in elementary grades in south Walton, we will dramtically change that plan. I trust that the administration and teachers at ECMS will do an excellent job at shielding and protecting the 5th graders from too much pain.

Thanks guys for the input.....

Mark, thanks for your post.
I agree with you about the portables. My granddaughter is in one this year, and when I went to have lunch and visit the other day, I thought it was "cramped, and closed in" feeling. (That's not a complaint just an observation.)

I guess it is hard to anticipate the growth in a place like South Walton.

One more question though: would it not have been less disruptive to move as many students as possible into the space vacated by the middle school; use portables for the (hopefully) few remaining students left for this coming year; and then initiate the move to the new middle school space the following year, after the students and the parents had been informed about it and the reasons for it....

I think all too often here in Walton County, things are thrust upon people with little lead time and even less explanation and the human nature reaction is usually not a positive one.

Many are not able to attend School Board meetings--but, even those seem less informative than they might be. Just my opinion...generally, I think our schools in Walton County are very good. They might be better if the communication system between school administrators and parents and others in the community was improved. Hopefully, the compromise position will work out for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
How does the 1/2 mill transfer from Capital to Operating (to be held in May as a single item election) affect your ability to build what you want. Do you have sufficient capital revenues projected to handle this need or should voters not support the transfer to help with this project.

Do we need to postpone the 6 million dollar football filed project to speed up this critical need.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
How does the 1/2 mill transfer from Capital to Operating (to be held in May as a single item election) affect your ability to build what you want. Do you have sufficient capital revenues projected to handle this need or should voters not support the transfer to help with this project.

Do we need to postpone the 6 million dollar football filed project to speed up this critical need.

Good luck Bob, you're treading on sacred ground there.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Sometimes life presents us with choices:

View attachment 19227

No Ball field + no 1/2 mill transfer = 11.5 million for a new wing now !

I am really just picking at Mark, both questions are loaded and he knows it, but it is a real option. I also know who really, really wanted the new ball field.

Last edited:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008

Bob: I believe we will have sufficient revenues in capital outlay to build the classroom space in south Walton even with the half mill transfer. That opinion is based on the projections I have seen regarding our tax base.

Obviously, I agree that classrooms come before the improvements to the outdoor facilities at WHS. It is not just the football stadium. As you know, we have serious ADA problems with the football, baseball and softball facilities and we need to get them corrected, but, priorities are what they are and classroom space is necessary.

You might recall we lowered the capital outlay millage last year. I voted for it after we compromised on a smaller cut than proposed, but, I was afraid we would need the money later. We don't have any other large projects except for the new sixth grade wing at WMS. But, that may have to wait as well.

We will come up with a responsible plan.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Bob: I believe we will have sufficient revenues in capital outlay to build the classroom space in south Walton even with the half mill transfer. That opinion is based on the projections I have seen regarding our tax base.

Obviously, I agree that classrooms come before the improvements to the outdoor facilities at WHS. It is not just the football stadium. As you know, we have serious ADA problems with the football, baseball and softball facilities and we need to get them corrected, but, priorities are what they are and classroom space is necessary.

You might recall we lowered the capital outlay millage last year. I voted for it after we compromised on a smaller cut than proposed, but, I was afraid we would need the money later. We don't have any other large projects except for the new sixth grade wing at WMS. But, that may have to wait as well.

We will come up with a responsible plan.

I sure you will Mark but I truly believe that this is a very difficult year for schools. Until we see what the legislature does it can change dramatically.

I still say we fund schools with the wrong revenue stream, but thats just me I guess. We need more stability in revenue streams.

Thanks for your answer - part of my question was tongue in cheek.

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
I understand what you are saying. I was thinking how the children must feel to not have their last year as the "big kids on campus" at their school...

That, and the fact that it seems Walton Co School system just can't plan ahead, is the frustrating point.

On the other hand, it is a good opportunity to learn to deal with unexpected changes...which is certainly a life lesson worth learning.

From what I've seen, I think we could use some change in the school administration...

I hope that you will consider your idea for "change in the school administration" very carefully. I remember quite well the superintendent from 96-2000 who was crucified for building schools that didn't have enough students. I believe it was your political party members who pushed the campaign. Carlene is doing an excellent job. I would hope that people would be a little slower to question her decisions than they were in this area a decade ago. But then again, as one of my favorite long time resident stated
"in South Walton we take one step forward and 2 steps back".