• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The shrimp boats owned by the McLean and Brown families have been selling shrimp from the 331 causeway for at least 25 years, possibly longer (or at least that is how long I've been buying shrimp from them; I know my parents bought shrimp from them before that). So a shrimp boat parked at the causeway is suddenly an issue?

That reminds me...I need ten more pounds...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Shallows, I can see how it has only recently become an issue. Up until about a month ago, they had been parking at their own pilings. Then, suddenly, they began taking up the entire public dock.

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
I don't think selling shrimp is the issue at all. It's the fact there is a public dock that is unusable because someone is running their business from it. I drive by there daily and when the boat is in, there is not a single car around that dock. When the boat is not around, there are people launching boats and fishing there. On the drive home I always enjoy seeing people having fun at the bay and around the causeway. Just tonight I noticed a man and 4 kids fishing off that dock. If the big shrimp boat was there, they wouldn't have been.

boater

Beach Crab
May 11, 2011
That is a good question - I always thought it was sort of cool to have a shrimp boat there selling direct to the public and assumed because of the prominent location it was legal.

Didn't realize that they prevented others from docking there and were in violation.

DEP stated that it is illegal to sell anything from state land without a lease like the people who rent jet skis on the beach, they said that Walton County would have to lease it from them and then allow the boat to sell shrimp. The code enforcers even said it was not legal to sell goods on the dock, after he stated that I said well great then please do something about it... then he changed his story and said he really didn't know and he would have someone call me back does know, never heard back from anyone.

boater

Beach Crab
May 11, 2011
And all the fuss is because you want to sell hot dogs?

No I don't have any interest in selling hot dogs and I don't have any interest in selling shrimp either. I have a problem when I can not use a boat dock that I helped to pay for because someone is selling something on the dock. Also it bothers me that it is not legal for the everyday person to do something but when someone with connections wants to do it then the commissioners not only ignore it they instruct the enforcement department to allow it. To add more to it think about the other local seafood markets that have to pay for insurance, licenses, permits, rent, taxes etc..that this boat doesn't.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A story which seems funny now is when a Point Washington shrimper who kept his boat at the 395 dock made Truman pay him big bucks to move it so a fancy ferry landing could be built for the show.

Run Truman RUN!

boater

Beach Crab
May 11, 2011
The shrimp boats owned by the McLean and Brown families have been selling shrimp from the 331 causeway for at least 25 years, possibly longer (or at least that is how long I've been buying shrimp from them; I know my parents bought shrimp from them before that). So a shrimp boat parked at the causeway is suddenly an issue?

That reminds me...I need ten more pounds...
I respect what your saying and I am not out against anyone making money but it is just the fact that it shouldn't be OK for one person and not another. Do you think it would be OK if Hwy 331 is lined with vender's and no one would be allowed to enjoy the bay or its county facilities?

I respect what your saying and I am not out against anyone making money but it is just the fact that it shouldn't be OK for one person and not another. Do you think it would be OK if Hwy 331 is lined with vender's and no one would be allowed to enjoy the bay or its county facilities?

Touche' Think I'll get my grill and sell burgers there this weekend. Wonder how long I can get by without a ticket? Better call and clear it with Brannon first.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just make sure your roadside stand isn't on the south side of the bridge, because then, according to the ordinances, you will need a roadside vending license.

Here is an idea if you have some spare time. Go park your boat on the dock about 3pm on Fridays, and make the Cheri Dawn have to find a new spot for the weekend.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Just make sure your roadside stand isn't on the south side of the bridge, because then, according to the ordinances, you will need a roadside vending license.

Here is an idea if you have some spare time. Go park your boat on the dock about 3pm on Fridays, and make the Cheri Dawn have to find a new spot for the weekend.

Smiling Joe, you are a genius. Excellent idea.

Maybe we all can get together and throw a shrimp boil this afternoon on the dock at the same time and turn it into a fun event. Of course, we will need to buy some shrimp. :)

And of course, we would have to get an event permit from the county.