• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PearlSB4U

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2010
Hey beasette, Ohio Girl & jOe:
Why be so coy about which restaurant(s) you're talking about?
Why do any of us need to whisper about what is supposedly the restaurant(s)' public policy(ies)?
Why "protect" these restaurants/policies?
Let the rest of us know where we should at least look for these policies.
Thanks.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I think the restaurant Skunkape is referring to adds gratuity to all orders, and it is only counter service.

Okay, I'm asking servers and customers alike, please forgive me if I am ignorant of some long-standing custom, but why would a "counter service only" restaurant be adding gratuity to orders in the first place? Is it listed as a "gratuity" or some type of "service charge" like buying tickets from TicketMaster?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
This sounds like a restaurants way of getting around paying the employees minimum wage (thus lowering workmans comp and other payroll amount based expenditures). If they list the position as a "tipped" position and are only paying $4.23 and the tips dont make the employee make at least minimum wage per hour, Florida law says that the employer has to pay them the higher amount. But if they add an "auto-grat" they can still only pay the employee the lower amount while ensuring that the "tips" add up. Either way, the customer ends up paying for it. Whether it be an auto-grat or higher prices for the product.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I just wish someone would say who this counter based restaurant is so I don't have to waste my time and inadvertently find out their poor business practice after the fact.

Agreed; could someone send me a private message so that when I'm down there and ordering out, I know to expect this and whether I need to take cash for the product price, or take a check card so that I can pay any additional gratuities, fees, service charges, fines, convenience charges, marketing fees, merchant fees, surcharges, etc.? I know when I go pick up a pizza at Angelina's or Pizza By The Sea or burgers and sandwiches at Flip Flops, how much it is going to cost, but if I venture out and try another take-out option, I'd appreciate some truth-in-advertising in knowing whether to take a $20 bill to pick up an $18.00 order or whether I need to prepare for other procurement costs before I head out the door. Thanks!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'd like to know which restaurants add take-out charges/mandatory tips as well. I understand that it's not fair to badmouth restaurants based on one experience, but sharing restaurants' policies about carry-out fees or mandatory tips seems different to me. I have a hard enough time decoding my phone and cable bills, and I like my dining bills to be simple - just the food and tax, please. I like the pricing of my food to match the pricing on the menu with no surprises and nothing in small print. I'll add my own tip, which is typically 20%. I'd would definitely feel taken advantage of if a charge was added to my bill and then didn't realize it until after I got home. I know it's my responsibility to check my bills, but I'd like to know in advance what the extra charges are going to be so that I can decide whether the final price is what I had planned for (or if I should go somewhere else if I don't want to pay the extra fees). If you don't feel comfortable posting the name of the restaurant(s), please email me because we tend to eat out and get take-out in the Seacrest area frequently when we're in SoWal.

Maystrong

Beach Lover
Apr 14, 2009
Seacrest
I was charged the $6 and some change take out charge at LaCocina on a $30 ticket. I'm assuming it must be a percentage of your total since it was an odd amt. I was also surprised that they have a $3 "order change fee". I asked for melted cheese instead of grated cheese and when my ticket came it was an extra $3! I love LaCocina, but just have to watch my penies there. Between the $6 take out charge & the $3 change fee, I could have dined in and had a margarita!

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
I was charged the $6 and some change take out charge at LaCocina on a $30 ticket. I'm assuming it must be a percentage of your total since it was an odd amt. I was also surprised that they have a $3 "order change fee". I asked for melted cheese instead of grated cheese and when my ticket came it was an extra $3! I love LaCocina, but just have to watch my penies there. Between the $6 take out charge & the $3 change fee, I could have dined in and had a margarita!

Thanks for the heads up....that 3 Dollar Change Fee alone for them microwaving your cheese for all of 10 seconds will make me never go there...that's borderline offensive

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks for the heads up....that 3 Dollar Change Fee alone for them microwaving your cheese for all of 10 seconds will make me never go there...that's borderline offensive

I agree the change fee is absurd - I did not know about this. But, nothing could keep me away from La Cocina! One of my very favorite places EVER. Their salsa and chips, and cheese dip, plus a cadillac margarita = heaven on earth. Not to mention the memories we have with good friends enjoying incredible food in a funn atmosphere, with extraordinary service!

as far as take out charge, I personally think it is fair because so many people do not even think of tipping for take out, which I don't understand. its a small tip for someone who is working to prepare and package the order, and get it right and ready for me. Yes, I would rather add it myself - but so many do not even think to do so. we recently had a thread on tipping for take out. Most agree that it is important to do so.

Last edited: