• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
so much for public service...

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Well, after reading the email/ letter and be it beyond me to be a voice of reason, if he is a county employee he went out of bounds, if he is an appointee to said comittee then he expressed his view and feel as though he has the right. If he was addressing the issue of an extended session by someone or group to dominate the discussion then maybe he has a point, I've seen folks from WCTA do that to the point it was sickening, but I also fault the leadership of the comittee or board for failing to control the meeting so at this point it sounds as though he has provided a remedy.

Beureaucrat Bill is not out of bounds because he went to the meeting as an agent of our COE. Just realize that there are two sides of the story, and Brenda Rees was invited to give a presentation to the committee. She had to improvise (entertain?) while waiting for faulty audiovisual equipment the committee wanted her to use (not her stuff, and not her plan to use the equipment, but the committee's) was fixed. His snippy comments aimed at a private taxpayer who has amazing enthusiasm for Walton County are uncalled for, however.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Aside from the rudeness of it, Vorwald's email report of the event did not jibe with any other reports I heard.

Constituents went to a public meeting and actually proposed changes/alternate solutions, instead of just complaining and criticizing - they should be receptive and grateful for the discussion, not being nasty.

If someone is taking too long to speak or monopolizing the discussion, those in charge can easily deal with that.

I know this sort of thing is not condoned and am waiting to see how this plays out.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
My pleasure Mr. Small Box - all a matter of public record. Best to get it out and end speculation as to what was written.

I think Brenda posts here - maybe she will post her private response.

She is very articulate and I personally would like to see her response :D

Last edited:
And it is a helluva lot further from SOWAL to Paxton. Since the population that now seems concerned is from the south end of the county, it follows logic that the agents charged by our elected county officials to determine new districts would hold meetings near the locale of the concerned citizens, (aka the "How Great We Are" folks per Walton County public servant extraordinaire Bill Vorwald). Instead, every appearance is that the 'good old boys' from both sides of the bay are trying to limit discussion (please reference 'Beureaucrat' Bill Vorwald's despicable email) and running for the foothills of Paxton. Do you think this is an accident? What an insult it is that people who LIVE and RETIRE on the sweat of the taxpayers play these kind of games. I'm not saying the meeting should be in Seaside or Grande Blvd, heck, hold it in Defuniak it does not get any closer to mid-county than that.

I would hope that the original plan was to hold meetings in all the geographical parts of the county: Nowal, DFS, Freeport and Sowal. Paxton would be the logical place in the northend. If you think more needs to be added from the Sowal area then why not ask for an additional meeting instead of deciding that an entire area does not have input or does not need it? No one with a sense of public spirit would oppose that. But cutting off input from one group of people so you can have an additional crack at the committee is unfair.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Regardless of your thoughts regarding where the next meeting should be held, it's still ridiculous for most people to attend a 2pm meeting. I'm sure that just as many residents of Paxton work a normal job they can't just walk away from to attend a meeting as people in the south end.

Mr. Vorwald's letter is incredibly one sided, mean, and unnecessary. He forgot to mention his request at the meeting that the process be sped up, so that he wouldn't have to work to hard to establish new precincts. My sympathy toward him on that issue has since evaporated. Some people take public service jobs to fulfill the built in job description. Others like the schedule and power. I think Mr. Vorwald's position is pretty clear.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
On Monday, June 6th, the BMBCA (Blue Mountain Beach Community Association) will hold a board meeting at the Coastal County Library meeting room. At 5:30 PM, Bonnie McQuiston will explain her position regarding re-districting and answer questions from all who attend. Everyone is welcome. BMBCA is a community association and is not a political enity.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
They say if you keep spouting conspiracy theories long enough, eventually they will take hold and people will remember them as the truth. I know I repeatedly stated that I stored 20K of absentee ballots under my bed and ultimately was the subject of investigations from Walton County to Tallahassee. Black Crown Vics would follow me around, I even had a guy call me and offer a deal if I would cooperate with the FBI and turn everyone involved in that was helping me. People can be pretty gullible at times.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Beureaucrat Bill is not out of bounds because he went to the meeting as an agent of our COE. Just realize that there are two sides of the story, and Brenda Rees was invited to give a presentation to the committee. She had to improvise (entertain?) while waiting for faulty audiovisual equipment the committee wanted her to use (not her stuff, and not her plan to use the equipment, but the committee's) was fixed. His snippy comments aimed at a private taxpayer who has amazing enthusiasm for Walton County are uncalled for, however.

She could have used any equipment, audio visual aids, handouts that she wanted to use. The meeting was a bit confusing because what was being said was not matching what we were handed or shown. I have seen a printed map and now have a better understanding of what she was saying.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I would hope that the original plan was to hold meetings in all the geographical parts of the county: Nowal, DFS, Freeport and Sowal. Paxton would be the logical place in the northend. If you think more needs to be added from the Sowal area then why not ask for an additional meeting instead of deciding that an entire area does not have input or does not need it? No one with a sense of public spirit would oppose that. But cutting off input from one group of people so you can have an additional crack at the committee is unfair.

The exact original plan as put forth at the FIRST meeting which had no public attendance. In fact, Bonnie McQuiston was the one that insisted that we hold meetings all over the county as the process was being done. One of those maps makes significant changes to representation in the Paxton area so I would think that there will be a presence at the meeting. I imagine they are practicing patience and just awaiting their turn, but I can assure you, that group is just as passionate about things that affect them as they are anywhere else in Walton County.