• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Why not 3A? I spent a lot of time and effort working on that map.

OK, 3A, and to cut through the clutter, can we count on you to make a motion to throw out 3D at the next meeting and maybe narrow it down to 3A and Brenda's map, with an opportunity to tweak either? You can do it..."I motion we remove 3D from consideration", cmon Robert.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have not made a firm choice as yet. I am leaning toward 3D as I believe there is strength in numbers. That is why Bonnie is making a presentation to our board on Monday. It is to explain the position taken by her and, I believe, most members of the re-districting committee. I don't have a vote in this thing and am only seeking information. As I have said many times previously, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference IMO as long as we continue to vote for our Commissioners at-large.

Andy, what do you mean by 'strength in numbers'? Does it not concern you just a bit that there is a condescending attitude among those who are hell bent on 3D toward us coasties (reference the COE generated email above).

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let me be as honest as I can. I really have no strong opinion on the re-districting maps offered nor do I know enough about the situation to draw a firm opinion at this time.
We have a board meeting on Monday night of a community association. The board members were curious enough to want to know what the fuss is about, if there is one. I have been told that 3D will allow those living on the beach or near it, the input from 3 county commissioners vs. 1. Hence, the "strength in numbers" statement. Once again, as I've said many times, IMO, it is irrelevant as long as we continue to vote at-large and hopefully that will not change anytime soon. The board meeting will be open to all who wish to hear what is presented at 5:30 PM on Monday night, the 6th of June.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
OK, 3A, and to cut through the clutter, can we count on you to make a motion to throw out 3D at the next meeting and maybe narrow it down to 3A and Brenda's map, with an opportunity to tweak either? You can do it..."I motion we remove 3D from consideration", cmon Robert.

It will either be a motion to remove or a motion to approve. I can promise you that much. But I plan on making at least one, if not many motions at the next meeting. 8-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Andy, what do you mean by 'strength in numbers'? Does it not concern you just a bit that there is a condescending attitude among those who are hell bent on 3D toward us coasties (reference the COE generated email above).

Maybe there was a meeting I missed, but I don't think so. I am not sure you know how 3D even came about. At the second meeting, the first meeting after numbers were gotten, the only map we really had was 3A. I had gone to GIS and worked with Kevin to come up with that map mainly because I had worked in GIS before and wanted to see what data he had and how the process was going to work this time versus last time, just because of the difference in technology. Everyone seemed to like the map, but wanted some little things changed, which we worked on at the meeting. It then became obvious that due to the weird way the Fed had done these census blocks, there was not a way to make minor changes in population. Seemed like everything you did affected hundreds instead of dozens. Ronnie Bell then had the idea of trying to bring a third district south, which several members seemed adamantly against. The district was going to go down 331, into Grayton, Pt. Washington, around that area. But again, census blocks just would not make it feasible, and it did not appear to have much support. Then it was thought it might be done over in Mirarmar. Well the first block you come to on the north side of the bay actually runs north of the road and east and west to the county line, basically along the north shore. So after trying a few things the discussion changed to Kevin going back and seeing what other census blocks he could find for boundaries and running the numbers to see if a third district could be extended across into south Walton. At that meeting, more than one member commented that they would not support three districts south of the bay no matter what the map looked like. 3D is what came out of that. I do not know if Kevin did that all on his own or if someone helped him with it.

Now considering that the boundaries do nothing more than decide where someone lives that is going to run for office, and that there is a larger population in 3Dsouth than there is in 3Dnorth, and for thirty years all I have ever heard is the south end needs more representation, and so far the ones I have heard that are against it are not even affected by that change, I can tell you the map has my interest.

I have seen a lot of good ideas for this county posted on these forums. There are a lot of services and amenities that I believe should be offered and are not for whatever reason or priority. And I fully understand how the tax funding formula works. I think, in order for these things to ever come into being, it is going to take governing bodies that are comprised of a majority of like thinking individuals. I believe you will never get there until you have three districts south of the waterway. 3D is certainly not a perfect solution, but it appears to me that is is the path that will have to be taken to ultimately move forward.

But, then listening to everyone, my thoughts are that maybe change is not something everyone is prepared for, so maybe we do need to wait another ten years or so and see what happens.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Andy, when you see the maps you'll understand it better.

3D would leave south walton with 1 commissioner. While the claim that the other two pittances that run through swamps, federal land, and bays would give the "potential" for the south end to have three commissioners. I find that hard to believe as the north end has fought long and hard to prevent a majority south of the bay. When you consider that there is also an effort to get single district voting on the ballot south walton could potentially end up with one district. I find it very hard that they would even come close to risking a south end majority.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Andy, when you see the maps you'll understand it better.

3D would leave south walton with 1 commissioner. While the claim that the other two pittances that run through swamps, federal land, and bays would give the "potential" for the south end to have three commissioners. I find that hard to believe as the north end has fought long and hard to prevent a majority south of the bay. When you consider that there is also an effort to get single district voting on the ballot south walton could potentially end up with one district. I find it very hard that they would even come close to risking a south end majority.

I'll be happy to take your comment to our board meeting on Monday evening. Anybody without enough common sense to vote for single district voting will deserve what they get. I don't think that is the main intent of most, if any, on the re=districting committee. I don't think most sitting on the re=districting committee want to set Walton County back to the really good ol' boy era. You are welcome to attend and present you point of view during the question and answer period.