• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lisaseer

Beach Lover
May 5, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach FL
I know that a large portion of the employees at Publix are not local and from the Northern part of the county. But new jobs are still new jobs. So, I think that is a good thing.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Scooter, many jobs are not intended to be living-wage jobs. Many jobs don't require much skill, training or knowledge. The more attributes you bring to your job, the more pay you can charge the employer for your labor. Walmart has many jobs which fit this bill. It doesn't meant the employees at Walmart don't have valuable skills and knowledge, just that in many cases, those are not needed.

So, if you really hate Walmart so much, go spend your money at Target in Bay County or Okaloosa County and put that "local" spending you talk about to work.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Most retail stores have the same jobs and require the same skills that Wal-mart does. The difference is only in how they treat and pay their employees. Stocker, greeter, cleaner, check out clerk, counter clerk - these jobs do not vary greatly in the basic skills needed.

Yes, the small amount of money that I spend at Target (only for items I can't find at local stores) does not add to the Walton County tax base, but since they give 5% of their profits back to community organizations that cross county lines it still helps us locally.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
No, I would just try to only eat in real restaurants that treat their people well.

And how would you know? Do you go into the kitchen and interview people? I would go as far to say that at many of the businesses we all patronize, somebody is treated like crap. I don't get too hung up on it.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Yes, the small amount of money that I spend at Target (only for items I can't find at local stores) does not add to the Walton County tax base, but since they give 5% of their profits back to community organizations that cross county lines it still helps us locally.
Walmart's Foundation and their philanthopy:

http://www.accessphilanthropy.com/funderinnews.php?funderID=36

BTW, in 2010, when corporate donations were down, Walmart still gave about 8% of their profits - the #1 corporate philanthropist in America.

Look, I know Target looks better, smells better, etc, but you are not going to find 5% of difference in how they treat their employees. At least when I stopped at the new Walmart the cashiers weren't all Eastern European exchange workers.

I wish people would commit 1/10th of the energy we use hating Walmart to hating Goldman Sachs. They've done more to trash this economy than Walmart ever could.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
And how would you know? Do you go into the kitchen and interview people? I would go as far to say that at many of the businesses we all patronize, somebody is treated like crap. I don't get too hung up on it.
Employee turnover and general happiness are good indicators.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Some restaurants have the same employees for years and years. Some seem to have a revolving door and can't keep staff for more than several months.

You're in denial if you think that only applies to kitchen workers.