• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Unfortunately, with plan 3D the 20 thousand or so people living in South Walton will only have one commissioner that will be located near them, so 2/5 of the people living in Walton County will in all practicality have only one commissioner that they'll be in proximity to contact in person to personally listen to their concerns on a day by day basis. We could probably tract calls and visits. The other 30 thousand or 3/5 or so people living of the rest of the county will be close to four commissioners to listen to their concerns in a meaningful manner. Plan 3D is not a plan for the people of Walton County. It is not compact, contiguous, reflect communities of interest nor maintain core of prior district. These guidelines were published in documents distributed at redistricting meetings and even hung on the wall. Picture of these guidelines were published in paper hanging behind committee. Guess they didn't turn around to read, much less comprehend and follow. They were perhaps only up there for our viewing pleasure. There were several plans that better followed these rules used in redistricting case law and met the needs of all the citizens of Walton County. Plan 3D not only splits up Sandestin, it also takes out Pt. Washington and the new Emerald Coast Middle School from South Walton district, and furthermore splits up the planned community of WaterSound which has two new large builders poised to begin in WaterSound North. Mostly, if not only, South Walton residents showed up for new West Bay Airport 388 road which will go through or near WaterSound North. This road will impact new school, and evacuation and jobs for South Walton. The being compact or contiquous points or respecting communities of interest or keeping core districts together aren't just a pirate's code to be followed as whimsical guidelines until it doesn't fit those in control's needs or development plans. They are guidelines for the people. All the people of Walton County. People who work, go to school, travel and evacuate. That South Walton is just a beach community is a shallow, manipulative description of who South Walton really is. Guess pirates rule in Walton County. Barbossa, "The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome to the Black Pearl, Miss Turner,"

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Dunelaker, I have one Commissioner that I contact because I know my complaint or praise will be listened to. That Commissioner is not in my district. Hence, we have FIVE we can contact under our present system. Good for Walton County. May it remain so.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
That is great, Andy A. So, then why do we need the crazy new lines that portend to give South Walton a "chance" at three seats if it truly is all for one and one for all? Why have, as this redistricting progressed, new spins to support emerged? At first, the committee said the 3D plan was favored because they needed to pass something the commissioners would vote for? Truly. Plans were available that could have been chosen that would have still allowed you to contact your favorite commissioner that actually returns your phone calls and yet provide a better chance for most or other people to personally contact a commissioner from their compact, contiquous, community of interest, core of prior area district. Perhaps the commissioner you call or contact is prepared to handle 30,000 + calls. Why not make it easier for most people to do the same with a commissioner they know from their community of interest? Plan 3D is not in the best interest of all the people of Walton County and far from the best that could easily be adjusted to meet One Person One Vote fairness and be adopted.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I would like to have an elected official whose election/re-election depends on how they treat my community. When they can get elected without the votes/support of an entire area, they tend to not care too much about that area.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The Redistricting Committee's map recommendation (3D) is being presented to the county commission at the July 12 meeting, according to the meeting agenda. The map proposal can be viewed as part of the meeting agenda on the county web site, www.co.walton.fl.us, under "Agendas and Minutes" by selecting "Commission Agendas" and then the meeting date. The meeting starts at 4 p.m. and takes place at the South Walton Annex. For a redistricting map to be adopted, both the county commission and school board will have to approve it.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It is probably too early in the game to think that South Walton will have real representation, but the seeds are being planted. Every day.

Beach Party.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Not intending to imply anything, but Dunelaker may feel this is the best use of his/her time and does not plan on running for anything, but the committee could a have different reason for the proposed map other than it is the best for the county. I know I was called out for calling out a fellow poster for not running for office just feel that Bob was right on that one until I saw the above post. I might have missed it, but who is on the Redistricting Committee.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I am not implying anything by asking Dune Laker if they are going to be a candidate.

We need options in that district and if they are even thinking about it I highly encourage he/she to start early by announcing their intention.

Sure sounds like a candidate to me. The question is what office if any.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
I am not implying anything by asking Dune Laker if they are going to be a candidate.

We need options in that district and if they are even thinking about it I highly encourage he/she to start early by announcing their intention.

Sure sounds like a candidate to me. The question is what office if any.

Hey, Bob. Your intentions are okay with me, but absolutely no plans to run. I'm probably too informed, honest and independent to suit backroom boy's purposes. Just truly care about all the people in Walton County. Who will run from Sandestin in now District 4, or WaterColor in now District 5, or WaterSound North in now District 1 is a mystery. District 1 with its sliver of SoWal, mostly empty census blocks, and just developing WaterSound north home, business, airport district will be a challenge fielding a candidate from SoWal. I don't think someone hanging out at Shades on the Loop, Terrace or tent camping in the wilderness will be able to claim that as residency. Probably plenty of Freeport District 1 candidates or someone Lloyd Blue has selected to protect and promote his, old buddies from DeFuniak and client's development interests in the West Bay airport area. It is not just Sandestin that is split up by this plan, but WaterSound, and it takes out Pt. Washington that has been with SoWal nearly 200 years. A real historical shame.

Last edited: