• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am not in the advertising business nor do I have any connection with Marie's Bistro other than I like to eat there. It is the epitome of how a restaurant should be.
When you enter, Haney, the owner will great you warmly and graciously if he is there. If he is not someone else will. You are explained what is on the menu what the specials are and what you might like best according to your tastes. The food is always excellent and the dining experience outstanding. Suffice it to say, it is how a restaurant should be operated, all the way around.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
A shop-owner in Seaside many years ago made it clear to me, by her actions, that the key to retail (as well as the food industry) is to provide the consumer with a very pleasant experience. Of course, you can sell them an object, and they can leave the store, OK. But, if you can be friendly, or funny, or engaging in almost any way, then they will simply come back again because they had fun, as well as paid money for the thing they wanted. Pretty simple, huh?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
A shop-owner in Seaside many years ago made it clear to me, by her actions, that the key to retail (as well as the food industry) is to provide the consumer with a very pleasant experience. Of course, you can sell them an object, and they can leave the store, OK. But, if you can be friendly, or funny, or engaging in almost any way, then they will simply come back again because they had fun, as well as paid money for the thing they wanted. Pretty simple, huh?

I have heard it said that the key that keeps chain restaurants like PF Changs, Macaroni Grill, Outback Steakhouse etc going is the customer service experience. Lets face it, the food is not that great but they coach the servers into delivering an experience that is sometimes lacking at the independent eateries. Americans go for style over substance, it would seem.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I didn't mean to make it sound as if most restaurants or businesses here acting this way. Most staff I've encountered seemed happy to provide great service, and maybe that's why the ones that don't stand out! But as these examples/comments prove, it only takes one bad experience to leave a bad taste in your mouth. There are a lot of things a reasonable person can forgive or overlook. Rude staff and unsanitary conditions are where I draw the line.

As to the chain restaurants, the consistent training methods and corporate policies do tend to mean that the staff is uniformly professional, but there's no reason an independent restaurant can't do the same thing (train employees well and provide written policies and procedures), and many do. Sometimes the chain restaurant is a safe choice simply because you know what to expect when it comes to menu and price. These days, with money being tight, an unfamiliar restaurant can seem like an expensive mistake waiting to happen. For that reason, I really really like it when restaurants put their menu with prices on their website. If I'm planning on going out with a group, I can make sure it's a place that has something that will appeal to everyone's palate and wallet. I much prefer to support independent restaurants, and a good (simple, easy-to-navigate) website makes that easier.