• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Though we don't necessarily encourage that type of behavior around children or anyone else for that matter we can't stop a grown adult from saying what he wants to say in our establishment.

Yes, you can. The perception of your establishment originates from the top down. And if non family friendly language is being used within earshot, you should.

This whole post originated due to a comment on our Google Places page that said "not a family place." We have families in here all the time and they have a great time, so feel to bring your children. The point is, this is a bar and if someone doesn't feel comfortable in that situation we can't promise that they will be completely satisfied with our establishment.

It seems me me that you are still trying to figure out which 'new direction' you're headed in, and which group of patrons you want in your establishment. If you indicate your restaurant is family friendly, it should be. Parents do want to have to second guess if offensive language or behavior will affect their dining experience with their children.

All this to say, there is no wrong end result. Just pick what you want to be perceived as, and go for it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
we go to Ballyhoo for lunch and always enjoy the food and company! very family friendly.

however, I imagine things get rowdier at night time and then we are talking a local bar with a lot of adult funn going on. should I take the kid? depends on how late I'm staying. If I take the kid, I'm taking my own chances on language, etc. The kid would not mind but he probably needs to be at home anyway.

I think Ballyhoo is doing a great job reaching out to locals and families. We need a local place like Ballyhoo that caters to locals and provides entertainment and a place to gather. Families need to make their own informed choices - and they typically do.

Ballyhoo is under new ownership/management and is communicating constantly, honestly, and directly with the community about what they offer - and they are listening to what the locals like and want. how many places do that? I like the way Tim puts himself out there.

Last edited:

Ballyhoogrill

Beach Lover
Aug 2, 2011
we go to Ballyhoo for lunch and always enjoy the food and company! very family friendly.

however, I imagine things get rowdier at night time and then we are talking a local bar with a lot of adult funn going on. should I take the kid? depends on how late I'm staying. If I take the kid, I'm taking my own chances on language, etc. The kid would not mind but he probably needs to be at home anyway.

I think Ballyhoo is doing a great job reaching out to locals and families. We need a local place like Ballyhoo that caters to locals and provides entertainment and a place to gather. Families need to make their own informed choices - and they typically do.

Ballyhoo is under new ownership/management and is communicating constantly, honestly, and directly with the community about what they offer - and they are listening to what the locals like and want. how many places do that? I like the way Tim puts himself out there.

Well said! Thanks!

AnnieJean

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2010
SRB
LOVE the new and improved Ballyhoo's! Stopped in to have a few drinks and an appetizer after doing promos for a band, and the bartender even let us take a few pictures at the bar! Turned the light off, removed a beer tap handle from the tap that was right in my sights (all without me so much as even mentioning it!), chatted us up and seemed genuinely interested in the band! So different from a few of the more popular establishments around here that are, well, quite frankly, nasty to the customers. PBR is super cold, and super cheap ;) And the fried dill pickle chips...... TO DIE! Went back for lunch about two weeks later, got the Black and Bleu burger. Can I just eat that for the rest of my life?

Ballyhoogrill

Beach Lover
Aug 2, 2011
LOVE the new and improved Ballyhoo's! Stopped in to have a few drinks and an appetizer after doing promos for a band, and the bartender even let us take a few pictures at the bar! Turned the light off, removed a beer tap handle from the tap that was right in my sights (all without me so much as even mentioning it!), chatted us up and seemed genuinely interested in the band! So different from a few of the more popular establishments around here that are, well, quite frankly, nasty to the customers. PBR is super cold, and super cheap ;) And the fried dill pickle chips...... TO DIE! Went back for lunch about two weeks later, got the Black and Bleu burger. Can I just eat that for the rest of my life?

Love to hear that people love to be here!! We are doing everything in our power to make this the best place on 30a! We need your help, so stop by, have a few brews and a burger or whatever is on special and let us know what you think so that we can keep up the good work!!