• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
To some of us, it was one of the best ever, the 11th MountainFilm at WaterColor.

Please give the staff & promoters of the event some feedback, OK? Thanks!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It was awesome! SoWal is happy to be a part of it and help promote and sponsor.

The weather was perfect. The food from the staff at Fish Out of Water was yummy. Jennifer Williams and Patrick McCarthy and the crew at Noble House had their first experience managing it and they pulled it off. As always John Rosenberg and Jim Pettigrew produced an excellent event.

See photos at http://www.sowal.com/story/mountainfilm-at-watercolor-2011-photos

111104watercolor202.jpg

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Another fantastic year and perfect weather!

Loved all the films! Getting eaten by a giant crocodile while kayaking (actually whenever) is now on my list of ways I would not want to die!

Can't believe anyone would choose a football game over MountainFilm - that is what DVRs are for people!

Liked the lighted bags for the paths instead of the rope lights - less distracting and did a better job marking I thought.

My only negatives were bathroom lines (due to the recent Baithouse fire, so that couldn't be helped) and people who couldn't stop playing with their phones during the movies - freaking ridiculous that they couldn't put them down even to watch something fascinating on a big screen!

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Another fantastic year and perfect weather!

Loved all the films! Getting eaten by a giant crocodile while kayaking (actually whenever) is now on my list of ways I would not want to die!

Can't believe anyone would choose a football game over MountainFilm - that is what DVRs are for people!

Liked the lighted bags for the paths instead of the rope lights - less distracting and did a better job marking I thought.

My only negatives were bathroom lines (due to the recent Baithouse fire, so that couldn't be helped) and people who couldn't stop playing with their phones during the movies - freaking ridiculous that they couldn't put them down even to watch something fascinating on a big screen!

This was an unfortunate conflict, having the contest between #1 and #2 (both of them southern teams) starting at the same time as Mountainfilm. But, you are asking a whole lot out of southerners, who rightly or wrongly are freaks about college football, to just go home and watch the game on tape at some future time. Culture isn't right or wrong, it just is what it is. Consider that your plan of skipping the game and watching at home later implies asking people to ditch watch parties with friends (and strangers) who have a passionate interest in their teams, and that is tough. It probably will never happen again, so no biggee.

I saw a lady go into the men's room Friday night, by the way :lol:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We usually institute a strict "info blackout" and then watch the game right after the more important event - and save time/catch-up by skipping the commercials.

DVR is a magic invention IMO.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Not to belabor this, but, the films of Mountainfilms are on film (i.e. they are are already recorded for posterity) They are probably available at any number of sites. The meeting of two truly titanic SEC football teams, like these, happens, maybe, once a decade. It's just football, but I have seldom witness a better clash of truly great athletes in a battle of strength, grace and endurance than this particular game. Mountainfilms will be back next year, and I am just a little bit sad that this may have been the first year that I missed it. Roll Tide.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
We usually institute a strict "info blackout" and then watch the game right after the more important event - and save time/catch-up by skipping the commercials.

DVR is a magic invention IMO.

I promise no more football in this thread, but I'm thinking there was an impact in movie houses, restaurants, shops, you name it all over the south Saturday night :lol:

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Moving Alabama-LSU to primetime paid off nicely for CBS, which said Saturday produced the network's most-watched regular season college football game in 22 years.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/alabama-lsu_draws_cbs_highest.html

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Different strokes for different folks - IMO a live event always trumps what is on TV, but I'd much rather have you watching the game at home/a bar than at MtnFilm constantly messing with your GD phone while I am trying to enjoy that event.

Who won BTW?

Anyhoo - I think the movie about the different ways a bike can make a huge difference in someone's life was the best one. I liked the winter kayaking one too. The longer kayak one not as much as I was just waiting for the guy to die and it cast a pall over it.

Also liked the short interview with the guy who interrupted the oil/gas auction.

Last year's films made me try and cut my use of plastic, especially bags. This year's makes me want to take over the power grid ..... or get off it!

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Different strokes for different folks - IMO a live event always trumps what is on TV, but I'd much rather have you watching the game at home/a bar than at MtnFilm constantly messing with your GD phone while I am trying to enjoy that event.

Who won BTW?

Anyhoo - I think the movie about the different ways a bike can make a huge difference in someone's life was the best one. I liked the winter kayaking one too. The longer kayak one not as much as I was just waiting for the guy to die and it cast a pall over it.

Also liked the short interview with the guy who interrupted the oil/gas auction.

Last year's films made me try and cut my use of plastic, especially bags. This year's makes me want to take over the power grid ..... or get off it!

I liked the bike film but thought it ran about five minutes too long. Really enjoyed the final one Friday night about the Japanese fellow. The plastic beachcombers were interesting. I missed seeing some of the extreme athlete features Friday I am used to, and yes, I do remember the film on the skier.