• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jane Fleig

Beach Crab
Mar 27, 2012
Not Janie but Jane...My husband Bill and I came to Destin to vacation this March and fell in :love: bet you all heard that before....so we bought a piece of property in point washington...I need trees being from Oklahoma.We bought the property on line so we havent seen it except thru google so it is a "surprize" for us when we make it back next year....we have 8 kids but only 3 left in school....one of our children is black (we adopt) is there racial problems there? thanks all,Jane

SoWal 30A

Beach Comber
RE: Jane

Hi Jane,

I personally have not witnessed racial issues here. Unfortunately racism is perception based and I'm white, so my opinion is limited.

Regardless, I'd like to welcome you and your family with open arms. Come enjoy the beach! Let me know if y'all have any questions about the area.

LJ123

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2009
Hello Jane and Welcome,

I have never experienced or witnessed anything but kindness and friendliness when ever my interracial couple friends (he is black, she is white) visit me from Atlanta. I live in Santa Rosa Beach near Gulf Place and we go all over Destin, 30A and PCB.

when you are getting ready to build on your lot in Point Washington please contact me. I work on the designs with a fantastic builder who also has adopted four children, all siblings. Lewis Jones has been building homes in Walton County for 27 years. He works hands on and on a cost plus basis.

Best of luck, Mary
ffimg@hotmail.com or 404-786-1323

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
There are some local rednecks this is the deep south after all but South Walton is an island of white. Very few persons of color live here.

Jane Fleig

Beach Crab
Mar 27, 2012
Thank you all for the welcome.Carrie is a mixed child and wants to go to public school(we homeschool now)she has never known any color problems. we bought the lots sight unseen,dumb I know,but in our defence we did google it....again thank you all

ggodwin

Beach Crab
Nov 4, 2008
Hi Jane- I grew up in PtWashington in the 60s and 70s, my family goes back to right after the civil war. I wouldn't worry about the race thing anymore, I think we have worked through that. As a matter of fact, my mother and her brother and sisters were raised by her mother and a black couple who lived next door and helped my grandmother manage her property. My aunt wrote fondly of them in a book called "Sandpiper Journal" (her name is Peggy Bailer). The book is registered with the Library Of Congress Catalog Card No. 95-94431 (whatever that means).

You can still get a copy from Eden State Gardens' gift shop- Welcome to Point Washington!

Last edited: