• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I think that the perfect place for the Visitor's Center would be south of the bridge on the west side of 331. That way people going either east or west when they hit 98 wouldn't have to go in circles to leave the Visitor's Center. If it's placed at the intersection of 98 and 331, it will just bugger up the traffic that has gotten so much lighter now that this intersection has been redone.

Are there any properties available or buildings for sale in the area I'm speaking of (south of the bridge on the west side of 331)? The ideal place would have been the location that Sandlecastle Escapes recently bought.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
It is official and I just need someone to second it — I am starting the TDC watchdog group !

Amount of money they pull in? At a local 100-bed hotel in July last year they "grabbed" over $13,000 alone. Now think about adding the other hotels, homes and condos (ca-ching). With the use of technology and all the social media outlets today just how many tourists actually visit the TDC welcome center anyways? (Well, we know the TDC will inflate it. Maybe I need to stand outside one Saturday and count for myself). Is the new center being built for the tourist? I think not... It is being built because someone wants to leave his mark on our forest, and plain and simple someone just wants a big, big office to show off!

TDC you want a new discovery or welcome center? I am all for it! Here are a few ideas that would increase your traffic and make much more sense.

1. The strip mall at the old Shoo Mammas restaurant: It has turn lanes for you, is easily seen from 98 and has a lot of vacant spaces for you.

2. The new Publix location: Again lots of empty units, plus an advantage for tourist because they come see you and then all in one trip grab some groceries and beer.

3. The new Walmart: They have a nice little retention pond and you can build your welcome center on stilts, throw some gators in the water and BOOM instant attraction. The tourists will flock to you in record numbers.

4. Grand Boulevard: The old Victoria’s Secret location. Again with some good PR and marketing they come see you and you offer them a V.S. gift card.

5. Set a tent up on the beach.

Why not build our children a park or better yet, I would so love a rec center with a workout room, a track, basketball and raquetball courts, a place to hold art classes etc.

Or focus on music. Build us a nice outdoor music venue. We know you love music. After all, you paid Susanna Hoffs $75,000 for the worst song ever that nobody has heard of. Did I forget that we are blessed to have musicians the likes of Dread Clampitt, Forrest Williams and Kelsey Anna that live among us. I’m sure for $75,000 they could have put out a much better "local" song and nothing like giving money back to our community, right guys?

Geez! Take care of the WCSO office, the SWFD, the lifeguards and mostly take care of us residents.

TDC we really dont need you and we dont need you in our forest!

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
it is official and i just need someone to second it — i am starting the tdc watchdog group !

Amount of money they pull in? At a local 100-bed hotel in july last year they "grabbed" over $13,000 alone. Now think about adding the other hotels, homes and condos (ca-ching). With the use of technology and all the social media outlets today just how many tourists actually visit the tdc welcome center anyways? (well, we know the tdc will inflate it. Maybe i need to stand outside one saturday and count for myself). Is the new center being built for the tourist? I think not... It is being built because someone wants to leave his mark on our forest, and plain and simple someone just wants a big, big office to show off!

Tdc you want a new discovery or welcome center? I am all for it! Here are a few ideas that would increase your traffic and make much more sense.

1. The strip mall at the old shoo mammas restaurant: It has turn lanes for you, is easily seen from 98 and has a lot of vacant spaces for you.

2. The new publix location: Again lots of empty units, plus an advantage for tourist because they come see you and then all in one trip grab some groceries and beer.

3. The new walmart: They have a nice little retention pond and you can build your welcome center on stilts, throw some gators in the water and boom instant attraction. The tourists will flock to you in record numbers.

4. Grand boulevard: The old victoria’s secret location. Again with some good pr and marketing they come see you and you offer them a v.s. Gift card.

5. Set a tent up on the beach.

Why not build our children a park or better yet, i would so love a rec center with a workout room, a track, basketball and raquetball courts, a place to hold art classes etc.

Or focus on music. Build us a nice outdoor music venue. We know you love music. After all, you paid susanna hoffs $75,000 for the worst song ever that nobody has heard of. Did i forget that we are blessed to have musicians the likes of dread clampitt, forrest williams and kelsey anna that live among us. I’m sure for $75,000 they could have put out a much better "local" song and nothing like giving money back to our community, right guys?

Geez! Take care of the wcso office, the swfd, the lifeguards and mostly take care of us residents.

Tdc we really dont need you and we dont need you in our forest!

I second that!

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
You have your "second".
Bravo. Isn't there a TDC advisory committee we should contact? Also there is an excellent planning and design suggestion in this letter to the Sun:

I grew up in a country where everything was done under the table, where you spoke at a risk of being incarcerated or worse, and where those in charge thought they knew what was best for the people, but they didn't.

Now I am here in the United States the pillar of democracy worldwide, and I am going to exercise my freedom of speech as a citizen, as a resident of Walton County, as a professional architect and a planner.

Don't put a TDC Building at the end of 331 at the cost of the very image that makes our county special. To put a "nature preserve" on that site adds salt to the injury. To the mainstream planners this is a good solution, but good is not good enough for Walton County. Our county is know for what is great, what is creative and innovative. It is known for the environment and for the care of this environment. Walton County was green before green was made popular. Developers have to adhere to strict codes to protect our dunes, our beaches, our wetlands, our trees, our turtles, our habitat. Our developments like Seaside are known worldwide, and Rosemary, Alys Beach, WaterSound, WaterColor, and Gulf Place, among others, are known nationwide.

So, if we want a new TDC center, we need to have a design that enhances our strengths and promotes our ideals. And this is the county that loves the environment.

How do you do this? You allow the Point Washington State Forest alone. Let it end 331, but let’s design the 331 approach to emphasize our point of view. Start at the bridge by designing the Gateway to the Beaches of South Walton and continue by creating what would feel like a vehicular nature trail with strong edges planted with our longleaf pines mixed with palmettos and oaks and create a boulevard with the appropriate lighting. Minimize signage and entries to existing retail by making their private entries special, in keeping with the entire design intent and then, strongly emphasizing by opening this dense edge created with our native trees and foliage along the rest of the boulevard, to allow a beautiful entry to the New TDC on the side of this boulevard.

The hierarchy is therefore established as follows, the pristine forest at the end of the boulevard, the TDC building that is subservient to the forest and the boulevard is subservient to the TDC building.

This hierarchy is the hierarchy that fellow Walton County residents believe in. And our county buildings should always represent those beliefs.

In my mind, if there is a structure that should end this axis. it should be a beautifully designed forestry tower that represents our Forestry Service's continual care for our beautiful environment.

Thank you for listening.

Lourdes Reynafarje

Seagrove Beach

Last edited by a moderator:

artishope

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2009
kiosk and/or smart phone

Save our green! Money and trees! Use technology in a smart way :)

When I even hear the suggestion a new TDC Building i think "follow the money"!

If folks want nature I highly suggest the existing glory -Biophelia -Morrison springs -beaches state -parks etc-galleries-dining-etc etc

Centralizing data and distributing such offers great rewards! For visitors and the visited!

Technology not bricks and mortar
:) offer great support! Kiosks can create and print visit agendas from a touchscreen mailed to your phone/iPad etc! I won't rant with my geek speak! Just know what how smart we cld be! Old school buildings are part of but not at all "the" solution!

The two reception halls by 331 bridge?
I'm guessing right price cld buy them if a new bldg was critical!

I wld take sober strangers to drunk ones in our neighborhood around our kids anyday!!

Just think saving trees that support our ecosystem is a must!

Also what about all the property
By courthouse/library? Has a walking path lots of land guessing county owns?

Lots of creative ways to bring/sustain folks with a case of Walton love :)

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
From Claire Bannerman:

Some thoughts on the South Walton Tourist Development Council ruckus over creating a new building on State Park land:

The mission statement of the Walton County TDC states that it is an industry organization that takes a “leadership” role in addressing “issues” that affect tourism and the “quality of life” in Walton County.

Robert Davis and his team have succeeded in securing Seaside on a list of walkable communities. Seaside has grown into one of the most successful residential and tourist attractions in Walton County.

Davis brought Dan Burden — the executive director of the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute, the nationally recognized authority on bicycle and pedestrian programs, friendly design, street corridor and intersection design, traffic flow and traffic calming — to our planning charrettes and forums. He enlightened us and guided us, reminding us of the amazing, fragile island environment in which we reside — and our need to protect it. I recall some of our county commissioners were present at these workshops.

Decision-makers are visionary, communicative and forward-thinking. They listen and respond to the most engaged, involved and broad-minded residents. They build policies, practices and codes to make their towns pleasant — reinvesting in the town center, disinvesting in sprawl.
We residents attended the charrettes and open forums to better our South Walton beaches, state parks and coastal dune lakes. We learned that towns and neighborhoods have a vision — master plans that provide direction, build ownership of residents, engage diverse people and create opportunities for implementation. A well-thought-out master plan gets past sticky issues and deals with the most fundamental, necessary decisions and commitments.

We paid for Dr. Dan Burden to describe intact town centers with shops open for business a minimum of eight hours a day. County buildings would be downtown, the town hall in the town center, the library open for business at least 10 hours a day, a post office located downtown.
Public spaces are all part of the master plan, giving people many places to assemble, play and associate with others. Key streets are controlled for speed. Streets and trails are well linked. Design is properly scaled. The town is designed for people. The town and neighborhoods have a vision.

Over the years, we have participated vigorously in saving land for state parks, various town centers, Eden State Park, our unique coastal dune lakes, our bike trail and walk trails, and County 30A, our scenic highway. Local citizen groups, such as Beach to Bay, Peach Creek Alliance, Three Arts Alliance, Cultural Arts Alliance, Walton County Taxpayers, Friends of Eden, South Walton Community Council, etc., as well as individual resident leadership efforts, have safeguarded a vision for the beaches of South Walton.

We have protected and kept watch over the world’s most beautiful beaches, reminding our Planning Department and our county commissioners every step of the way. So many nights our residents drove to DeFuniak Springs to attend county meetings so we could defend against developer invasions of our beaches and parks. We always asked for responsible development and business operations.

Our county commissioners began to realize that engaging residents in practicing environmentally sound land management results in continued support and commitment. Public awareness, involvement and collaboration increase stewardship. Utilizing public support with government agencies can solve specific problems.

We are aware that Walton County is increasingly dependent upon revenue from beach-going tourists and vacationers. Engaging residents to practice sound land management will result in a wonderful quality of life.

The TDC needs to reflect on the master plan for South Walton and involve residents to solve specific problems that will make a positive change in our environment for the long term. We need all the state park land we can get; keep the TDC building in the town center. Review our goals to protect our beach environment from sprawl. Do not snag our parkland.

Have the TDC Advisory Board ambassadors reconnect with the people and gain their input. Build the new TDC center on private land near the administrative center along State 331. To find it, simply put up a “wayfinding sign” on State 331. We, the people, have recommendations on our “quality of life” also.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Walton County BCC Meeting Today- TDC Discovery Center

BCC meeting starts at 4, the TDC Discovery Center debacle is on the agenda today at 4:25. Should be a lively meeting- make your voice heard if you are able to attend! Meeting at the South Walton annex.

:dothewave:

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
I was at the last meeting. JDarg, let me know if the invocation goes the way it did last time.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
With a substantial outcry going up in the community over the Walton County Tourist Development Council's proposal to build a new Discovery Center on state forest land, the TDC director is speaking out about the need for action.

More than one year ago, on April 27, 2011, the TDC hired an independent building consultant to assess the current 9,000-square-foot TDC building that sits at the intersection of U.S. Highway 98 and 331.

The original structure was built in the mid-1990s on pilings above a water-retention pond on just over an acre of state property.

The independent assessment turned up 16 deficiencies in the facility's air quality. It also revealed mold issues. Since the building rests over water, the mold issues will continuously be a challenge, said current TDC head Dawn Moliterno.

"We don't meet code and it's a real issue," she said.

Moliterno went on to explain that after several years of add-ons to the building and since the facility backs up to state wetlands, additional adjacent property can't be acquired. The solution she sees is to give the parcel back to the state and relocate across the road on 11.9 acres of state-owned property.

"We looked at the Town Center as a possibility and the acreage was narrow and would be about the same size we have now and offer challenges," she said.

And while some question the necessity of a visitor's center, Moliterno feels it is very significant to the area.

"In our mission, you want people to stop at the center. It gives us the opportunity to provide meaningful brand impressions and create interaction with day trippers," she said.

Moliterno said the center sees roughly 20,000 visitors per year, which she notes is less than the 50,000 reported by neighboring counties.

"We outperform other counties in bed tax collection and that number should be higher," she said. "We want uniformity in that area and the assessment, done in three phases, evaluated the current site and looked at what the facility needs for the future to accomplish its mission and general concepts; not architectural designs. Right now, it's nothing more than concept based on needs-based on analysis."

But that argument isn’t convincing everyone. Jeffrey Ellis was involved in the early years of the TDC’s formation and he doesn’t necessarily disagree with the chosen location, but “I do feel the TDC has lost track of its goals and focus.”

“Why does our area not have a great community pool? Why do we not have signs telling people to yield for walkers in the crosswalks along 30A? All counties around us boast these things,” Ellis wrote on the Sun’s Facebook page. “I feel confident this group can do better for the people who pay and fund them — the visitors to our area…”