• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I am hearing that hwy 98 is closed because of an oil spill?

Anyone know what is going on?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks, I am not seeing anything in the newspaper or LEO feeds either.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
There was a multi-car accident on 98 at Mack Bayou. By the time I got there there was sand on places on the road and the right eastbound lane was closed. Perhaps that's it?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think that must be it. An oil spill on the road just sounded so ludicrous I had to ask about it.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Vegetable Oil Spilled On 98

It was a slippery situation when cooking oil was spilled on Highway 98. Around 11 am Friday, a 2009 Peterbilt Tanker, driven by Gregory Strickland of Youngstown, was traveling eastbound on US Hwy 98. The Semi is a single unit tanker vehicle carrying use cooking oil. It left the Sandestin Conference Center and Strickland failed to observe he was leaking cooking oil on the roadway. The truck traveled approximately 2 miles before he noticed the truck was leaking cooking oil onto the roadway. Stickland pulled the truck over onto the south shoulder just east of Mack Bayou to take care of the leak and in doing so this caused the oil to pool in the outside eastbound lane of US Hwy 98.

Two other vehicles were traveling in the inside eastbound lane of US Hwy 98, leaving the intersection of US Hwy 98 and Mack Bayou after being given the green light. The first vehicle attempted to change lanes to the outside lane but failed to observe the oil pooled on the roadway. It traveled through the oil lost, sliding into the third vehicle.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
No, it was BP, this is a cover story fed to the tools in the media. Black helicopters are spraying clorexit as we speak. Mass casualties in the Sacred Heart ER. Eating at the Donut Hole will kill you and your children. Free liposuction to follow!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006