• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
Sure would be nice to have a Sheryl Crow & Friends "Concert for the Gulf" (SoWalStock) right about now.

Anybody got a big field with a lotta porta potties?

We could get Patrick Dempsey to MC and Anderson Cooper 360 CNN to cover it- that's a beautiful thing. Let's do it. I say we do it at the boat house at Alys Beach- that area is a bit too stiff- needs to be broke in to give it some life. They can use designer port-o-potties, no problem! We could sell white t-shirts that say Texas tarballs don't rock or roll or clean energy rocks. Good stuff here- keep it rollin...:D

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
After reviewing the $50,000 feasibility study, it was decided not to proceed with the sports complex. It was mentioned that the type of groups a complex would draw would not spend much, stuffing many people into one unit, and since the proposed locations were on the east end that many groups would probably stay in pantymawcitybeach anyhoo.

http://partners.visitsouthwalton.co...36/Walton+County+Final+Report+Sept+6+2011.pdf

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Who made this decision? This summer I umpired several softball tournaments in Tallahassee, Gulfport, MS, Donaldsonville, GA, Panama City and Pensacola. I saw first hand the large crowds these events draw. Money was spent by these people for lodgings, food, fuel, and other misc. needs, providing a big boost to those local economies. The parks are all operated by local government and the rentals on these parks provide substantial income. A few jobs are also created for locals. When you include the amenities for locals (tennis courts, pools etc.) that would serve to raise property values in the area, I think this wold be a win/win for the area.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
From Ron Romano email:

Dear Commissioners and Friends,

We are at an unprecedented time in Walton County. The south part of the county is seeing dynamic growth. DR Horton, the nation’s largest home builder, is selling nearly 40 homes per month and now has 13 communities in the South Walton area with more coming on line every day. My real estate company is seeing large numbers of buyers that are planning to call South Walton home, not part time, but full time. In fact a majority of our sales are now to full time residents. Historical vacation communities like WaterColor, Rosemary Beach and WaterSound are seeing more and more full time residents. We are no longer a vacation home community that provides the economic engine to run Walton County (nearly 90% of the tax base for Walton County is South of the bay!). We are now a large full time community with actual needs.

Our schools are seeing amazing growth. Our new middle school that had “plenty of room” when complete last year, is already adding 8 classrooms which will still not be enough to meet demand this year. Butler Elementary ended the last school year with 903 students and there were over 400 more at Bay Elementary. The Middle School is looking at the prospect of 750 students this year. The area has multiple private schools a charter school and many children that are home schooled. It is estimated that there are 2,500 kids in South Walton grades K-8. There is currently ONE legal football/Soccer field for all of South Walton. That field is extremely taxed and is in very poor shape. We have multiple youth soccer, football, baseball and softball teams along with adult teams all fighting for space.

The TDC commissioned a study in 2010 that looked at the need for a recreational sports complex. That study concluded that one was needed (I have attached a portion of the study). Based on today’s numbers and increased tourism the numbers in the study are very conservative and already outdated. The report states the need for an outdoor sports complex with six lighted baseball/softball fields, four to six lighted multi-purpose soccer/football/lacrosse fields, supporting elements (concession stands, restrooms and administrative offices) and on-site parking. The study estimated around 200,000 attendee days at the park with approximately 175 new jobs created in Walton County as a result, It estimates the complex adding roughly $5.7 million in personal earnings in South Walton created along with 32,000+/- rental room nights generated from activities at the complex, directly generating $11-$12 million in annual direct spending in South Walton. The result would generate $179,000 to $193,000 annually in TDC revenues. The estimated cost of running the complex is $378,000 to $431,000 per year. If the TDC and the county would split the cost the TDC would actually make money as a result and the county would have a sports and entertainment complex for its citizens costing only around $200,000 per year. The sheer number of new homes being completed every month in South Walton, raising the tax base, only further serve to make this a very small amount.

Sporting activity would only be one aspect of the new complex. We need entertainment space. South Walton has already lost the Seabreeze Jazz Festival to Panama City Beach and ArtsQuest has been told they are no longer welcome at Seaside as it has become too of large an event. The 30A Songwriters Festival would like to bring larger acts to the festival in January but has no venues large enough to accommodate them. This complex could host car shows, equestrian shows, art shows, concerts, food festivals and more. In addition the Tourist Development Counsel could house their new offices in one corner of the complex, alleviating the need for an 11 acre complex for that purpose. It is estimated that Frank Brown Park in Panama City Beach brings in over $16,000,000 per year in revenue to the city.

The estimated cost of the complex is between $11.3 and $13.5 million. Congress has just passed the Renew Act. With the Renew Act, Walton County is set to receive between $30,000,000 and $150,000,000 from BP fines that are to be used for “Economic Projects”. This represents a unique opportunity to make lasting improvements for the county. This money must not be squandered into the general operating budget. This is a project that will benefit the entire county, serve the citizens and increase revenue and quality of life for our citizens and guests. The park could be expanded in the future to include swimming pools, performing arts and even convention space. Now is the time to act. Land along the US 98 corridor is still relatively depressed but that is changing rapidly. DR Horton is buying everything they can get their hands on. Now is the time to secure the land and we now have the resources in place. The TDC could even build their new offices on the site alleviating the need for the 11 acre site that has been proposed and saving that money.

In addition, the county budget has forced our Parks and Recreation Department to cut all funding of Youth Football, Soccer and Baseball teams for the entire county. This is a community disgrace, we need to find money in in the budget for the kids. This is why you see kids panhandling at the intersections along 30-A, they don’t even have money to buy uniforms. Let your commissioners know to put money back in the budget to fund kids sports. This is a very small amount of money each year, $75-$95,000 per year should enable all youth leagues from DeFuniak Springs to South Walton to get at least $5,000 to help with insurance, uniforms and equipment.

With continued inaction in South Walton, we as community members need to explore incorporation for South Walton. By putting incorporation on the ballot we can keep our money in South Walton and have many of the community amenities of a city (better roads, parks, etc.) Please call your county commissioner and let them know your thoughts.

Thank you for your time. Please forward this email to everyone you know that may be interested!

Ron Romano

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Incorporation adds another tax. My feeling is that the developer of subdivisions should include parks/ green spaces in their plans. I do like the idea of a sport and music complex and believe Walton County would benefit from it. I think Freeports is under used and the primary reason is the lack of motel/ hotel. I like the idea of TDC/ Restore Act money being used for these type of projects.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Ron Romano's very thoughtful and insightful email is absolutely on target. I, when officiating sports events such as baseball and football, noted the same things Danny Glidewell portrayed in his post. A sports/venue complex could add much to our already wonderful piece of paradise. Whoever made this horrendous decision should reconsider it.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Tourist or economic impact aside, I think it is a quality of life issue for those of us in South Walton that play sports. Currently there are not enough fields at Helen McCall to support kids' desire to play. Baseball for 7 year olds continues until after 10 p.m. because there are not enough fields to play on and they have to stack three per night. Not enough soccer fields for practice or games. The fields are also in awful shape. Research shows that kids involved in sports are less likely to do drugs, commit crimes, and are more likely to stay in school and graduate. Not to mention the childhood obesity issues we face. To those who say, don't want it, don't need it...I assume you have no children, or your children are grown.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Regarding incorporation, I see one value if we want to take it that far. Other areas throughout the South (Birmingham area is an example), have incorporated and split their school system out from the county and formed a local district school system more accountable to the people in the community. If this is a vision for incorporation, I am all for it. No, you don't have to build all new schools -- if you had to nobody would have ever done it. Not saying it is completely feasible, but saying it might be worth a look. For those who want to jump down my throat, just please have very specific FACTS, not just emotions to say it is a bad idea. It just seems to me the locals need to decide what happens in South Walton, not the developers or the absentee owners.