• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
saw a walton county sheriff fb post about water quality

hi
i saw where there were advisories posted again for some of the 30a beaches. i know how much all you locals care about the pristine areas down there so it must be hard for y'all.
i thought it was a one time thing, but maybe it's becoming an issue? are your local authorities are on top of it? just curious.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Posted on: August 22, 2012[h=3]WALTON COUNTY WEEKLY BEACH SAMPLING RESULTS[/h]WALTON COUNTY WEEKLY BEACH SAMPLING RESULTS
Walton County Saltwater Beach Monitoring Results

Walton County - The Walton County Health Department conducts regularly scheduled saltwater beach water quality monitoring at seven sites through the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program. The water samples are being analyzed for enteric bacteria (enterococci) that normally inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals, which may cause human disease, infections, or rashes. The presence of enteric bacteria is an indication of fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage. The purpose of the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program is to determine whether Florida has significant coastal beach water quality problems and whether future beach monitoring efforts are necessary.
Site Name Enterococci Water Quality
SP-1 Miramar Beach 32 Good
SP-3 Dune Allen Beach 60 Moderate
SP-4 Blue Mountain Beach 184 Poor
SP-5 Grayton Beach 480 Poor
SP-7 Holly Street Beach 156 Poor
SP-8 Eastern Lake Beach 356 Poor
SP-9 Inlet Beach Access 472 Poor

Water quality classifications are based upon United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) recommended criteria and Florida Healthy Beaches Program Categories:
Good = 0 - 35 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine
Moderate = 36 - 104 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water
Poor = greater than 105 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water

Health Advisories have been issued for the Blue Mountain Beach Access, Grayton Beach Access, Holly Street Beach Access, Eastern Lake Beach Access and Inlet Beach Access based on the enterococci standard recommended by the EPA. This should be considered a potential health risk to the bathing public.
If you should have any questions, please contact the Walton County Health Department of (850) 892-8021, or visit the Department of Health’s internet Beach Water Quality website (www.doh.state.fl.us, click on “Floridians and Visitors” – under “Food, Water, Air, Land,” choose “Beach Water Quality.”

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
Hmmmm...we will be staying near Easter Lake starting
Saturday for 9 days, guess we'll think twice about getting in the water??? Beach time is what we are looking forward too, so not a big deal for us...just glad this isn't a family trip with our grandchildren, I'd be a bit stressed....

So it seems like every time there has been a lot of rain, the beach water quality ratings go down. Am I right or wrong?

If I'm right, what is the solution? Mandating the removal of septic tanks? Cleaning up your dog's poop (which we do)? What else can be done?

If I'm wrong, we have a bigger problem.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
As I understand it, you're correct. The solution? Talk to God.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
If humans are the primary cause of this problem and we are then it will take humans to fix the problem. We need funding for the sewer infrastructure required to support more and more people coming to our once pristine environment. We need civil engineers instead of marking and advertising. We need work shops and information to educate property owners and businesses. We need our local government to get serious about infrastructure to support the record number of tourist coming to our paradise. This problem is not going away from divine intervention and will continue to get worse. The water quality tests are just symptoms of an outdated system that must be corrected. It will be a mistake to hope this will get better without leadership to make this a priority over marketing campaigns. So if anyone does talk to God please ask for quality leadership in our communities!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Okay, but here's what I don't understand:

1) We've had heavy rains for many years
2) We've had periods of high surf for many years
3) We've had these same septic systems for many years
4) We've head heavy tourist traffic in summer for many years

But, this is the first year we've had poor water quality ratings.

What's the difference? Are all the septic systems breaking down suddenly? It seems logical that septic systems near the beach would be bad, but is that really the cause? Right now that's just a bunch of message board speculation. Doesn't the health department monitor septic systems?

It's been suggested that overuse of these septic systems (by tourists) may be a cause. But if I had a rental house with a septic system, wouldn't the users see some indications of breakdown? I mean things like backed up sewer lines, sewage backing up into toilets and bathtubs, and pooling in the yard, which are things I don't think most renters would find attractive.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
One rumor I heard was that more water was allowed to enter the Mississippi and thus the gulf after the oil spill in an attempt to keep oil off the coast. I don't know if that is even possible but if it is, could still be going on. More water from the big river means more pollution.

If that is a whacked scenario then it could simply be more chit flowing downstream from local rivers with all the recent rains.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Yes, septic systems are breaking down and more people are bring more chit. We need civil engineers to answer the questions about rivers, streams, stormwater, sewer capacities, septic tanks, more people and many more questions regarding how to keep our waters clean and healthy. I am positive that tests can be done to provide us with information regarding why and where and what to do about it. For example if it is coming from the mighty Mississippi or the Choctawhatchee then high bacteria levels should be showing up where fresh waters enter the Gulf. In my opinion it is coming from the record number of tourists visiting and the demands that is places on our septic and sewer infrastructure. Stormwater is a symptom not the cause. People are the source and poor infrastructure is very likely the cause.