• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
In the 6 decades I've been around I find myself moving away from identifying myself as a Republican. I'm still a fiscal conservative and I'm a strong believer in the values that my parents taught me, including traditional Judeo-Christian values. If I need to put a label on my 'political party' it would be 'conservative, consitutional libertarian'. In Walton County there is rampant corruption within the Republican establishment. One need look no further than the campaign finance reports to see that most of Walton County's elected officials receive funding from the same sources. And some of these 'sources' aren't even residents of Walton County and I assume that they aren't registered to vote here. I've met some good people who are registered Democrats who would make much better public servants than some of the trash we now have holding public office. I often ruffle a lot of feathers with my views but my only agenda is that public officials act with integrity and are accountable to all the citizens, not just the ones who give them campaign money. If enough voters look past party affiation, we'll be in a better place.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Good post - we get more and more partisan every day. I guess it's good for ratings and votes sometimes.

I don't know much about politics but it seems that Walton County's politicians are nearly all Republican, no matter what they really are. If you want to get elected here then you (almost always) have to run as a Republican. I guess you have to be in the same club as everyone else. And the same religion apparently.

If we had a balance of the two parties in our local politics, don't you think the same contributors you are worried about would be contributing to both campaigns? Isn't that the way it works in America and isn't that the real problem?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
The gentlemen have me at a disadvantage. I know not what "hrumpf" means or stands for. My bad. That term means nothing to me either.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I'm now more convinced than ever that if you want to run for office and expect to win in Walton county you must run as a Republican. That now is the only reason I am a registered Republican. It's amusing that we have registered Democrats holding office in Non partisan offices but that's the way it is.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
It's really sad to me that people are so closed minded. It appears that the majority of Walton county voters enjoy having a corrupt and unethical local government. Why else would they keep putting the "good ole boy" network in our public offices. I particularly feel for the staff working for our school system. I've never heard anything positive about Carlene Anderson from teachers or administrative staff. Keep your eyes open to how staff are treated in the coming year. No doubt there will be retaliation against some employees, we will see what Carlene's true colors are. Thats my opinion, I know the majority around here will disagree, but keep in mind they are the ones putting the untrustworthy people in office. I truly hope things will change in our county, but I'm not very optimistic about it, at least not in the immediate future.

:banging:

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Let me ask you IT, if sowal or other forums were not here would anyone really know what you were talking about? Really with no more news in the local papers shedding light out what some folks believe is happening and some of the folks who are shouting it from the roof tops do not put it in an orderly and cognitive fashion limiting the emotion it some cases it is difficult to take seriously. Just my opinion

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Let me ask you IT, if sowal or other forums were not here would anyone really know what you were talking about? Really with no more news in the local papers shedding light out what some folks believe is happening and some of the folks who are shouting it from the roof tops do not put it in an orderly and cognitive fashion limiting the emotion it some cases it is difficult to take seriously. Just my opinion

Nail meet hammer. In Walton County there's a one party system. It's sad but we're like the citizens who live in Jesse Jackson Jr.'s district in Chicago. Those folks will re-elect him regardless of how corrupt he is. And the folks in Walton county will continue voting in the "gang" who are puppets for the power brokers.