• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I am not surprised. I was walking on the beach very early one morning and I saw what looked like a lot of charcoal all over down the whole beach. I realized they were very hard tar balls. There must be a lot of that still out there for there to be that much on the beach. Also I don't know about the drinking water either. I started giving my cats and my dog tap water after giving them bottled water for a long time. They drank more of it and two of them started throwing up. The dog had diahrea and was throwing up. Someone mentioned the water to me and I dumped it out and gave them bottled water. The dogs diahrea went away and no one is throwing up anymore. When the cat threw up it was just a lot of water. I know they tell you sometimes about t he bacteria and you should boil your water, but what about when they are not telling you and should. I love the beach, but it really worries me to go swimming in the water and I would never drink the tap water. I have to buy a lot of water for everybody, but it is worth it. The dog was very sick and I took him to the vet. So far I have spent over $200. When I went back to bottled water he did stop with the diahrea, but was still throwing up a little bit. That is getting better as well. I am waiting for a result of a stool sample to be sure he does not have a parasite. I really don't think he does since he is back to normal pretty much. I would have never thought about the water had someone not mentioned it to me. They also appeared to drink much more of the tap water than the bottled water. Maybe something in it makes them thirstier. All I know is no more tap water for any of us. Thanks for all of the information

The charcoal looking stuff is most likely peat that was dislodged during the recent storm. I've picked up some of it lately to verify, and it isn't tar balls from the oil spill. Alabama did have some more tar balls wash up, and according to the reports it was pretty much in the same condition as when fresh, which is more squishy and browner than the peat.
We have always had this peat here. It's harmless. But it's covered up a good bit of the time, so you have to be here a while to see it often enough to get familiar with the difference between it and tar balls.

I hope whatever kind of bottled water you are buying is not distilled, which has all the minerals removed. The minerals are essential for health. And also make sure it isn't crap like Dasani, which is tap water filtered and with some minerals added.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I think the only viable solution is to sell the TDC on the idea of paying the Dirty Jobs TV show crew a modest sum to come down and film Mike Rowe removing septic tanks while pointing out the beauty of the area. Emeril could cater and Sussana Hoffs could write and perform a peppy theme song about dysentery. All for a small fee, of course.

:D

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I am very concerned about this ongoing issue. Okaloosa is also having bad sampling results. Can we be a blue wave beach and a tourist destination if our waters are a health hazard?

Also quite concerned that visitors and locals alike are not aware of a health issue.

Bellasmomma33

Beach Lover
Jun 3, 2011
Took the kids to Blue Mtn Beach yesterday. After setting up the lifeguard came over and his exact words "We are not supposed to tell you but I wouldn't put your children in the water. The bacteria levels are too high, the other life guard has gotten sick with diareah. They had us post a sign but its not very visible." Two things are very alarming at this point, first being why aren't they allowed to tell us about the water quality and second, why is the sign purposely put in an inconspicuous location? I am full time resident, homeowner and taxpayer in this county and would really like to know what I can do to get some answers on this problem. Please forgive my ignorance on policy and procedure but can anyone tell me what I can do to help?

lauralbardin

Beach Lover
May 23, 2012
Ck the water quality yourself before you go to beach- we do- myflorida.com - healthy beach program-

The charcoal looking stuff is most likely peat that was dislodged during the recent storm. I've picked up some of it lately to verify, and it isn't tar balls from the oil spill. Alabama did have some more tar balls wash up, and according to the reports it was pretty much in the same condition as when fresh, which is more squishy and browner than the peat.
We have always had this peat here. It's harmless. But it's covered up a good bit of the time, so you have to be here a while to see it often enough to get familiar with the difference between it and tar balls.

I hope whatever kind of bottled water you are buying is not distilled, which has all the minerals removed. The minerals are essential for health. And also make sure it isn't crap like Dasani, which is tap water filtered and with some minerals added.
I know this is a tangent, but I love the taste of Dasani. What brands do you recommend?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Why are the lifeguards not allowed to inform the public about the health hazard?