• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
My 7-year-old asks me who "we" are supporting in the election. I tell him "The United States of America". Children, including the 5th grader mentioned above need to be taught patriotism, not partisanship or politics. Maybe if we do a better job of teaching them to love their country, they will do a better job running it when it is their turn than the "adults" doing it now.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
My 7-year-old asks me who "we" are supporting in the election. I tell him "The United States of America". Children, including the 5th grader mentioned above need to be taught patriotism, not partisanship or politics. Maybe if we do a better job of teaching them to love their country, they will do a better job running it when it is their turn than the "adults" doing it now.
Very good and valid points. I believe you can teach children patriotism and party principles the parents believe in at the same time. There is certainly nothing wrong with doing that and at the same time, the kids learn how our system of government works, shabby as it may be at this point in time.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Andy, I could create lots of religious analogies, but stick to my belief that installing love of country should be way in front of anything else. Layering party ideology on a second grader is not as important as a contining civics lesson.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider

Very well said!