• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
You think it's bad now....just wait till summer

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
That stretch of road should have been lowered a long time ago. 25mph may be a bit too low, 35mph would have been a better compromise, and 25 at the bridge.

Why compromise if traffic studies have been done that conclude what speed is appropriate for a specific stretch of road? I too could visualize a rationale for 25mph across that bridge since it serves as a common artery for cars and pedestrians, and even then maybe from daylight to dusk only, but I'm sorry, there is no reason any speeds on 30-A west of the bridge should be lowered. Period.

So now I guess we can look forward to speed traps, too.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
That's right, kids. Insanely low speed limits leads to more passing

This is so true. I drive 30-A from Seagrove all the way to 98 almost every weekday morning at about 6AM. You get to recognize the same people who are out at that time, and almost without exception everyone obeys posted speed limits and drives with courtesy. Almost without fail, the exception to this general rule is some car you don't recognize flying up on your rear then tail grabbing your exhaust pipe when you are going 35MPH. When you get passed in a cloud of dust (legally or otherwise) you get to see what state the tourist is visiting from. Of note, the destination these folks seem to mostly be hauling a$$ to is the Donut Hole.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Used to could do 55mph from rosemary beach to the seagrove speed bumps, and 55 again from Odessa street to Grayton 4-way. Now we have residential speed limits on open stretches of swamp highway to support 1 specific business plan.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Did anyone hear any discussion of this prior to it happening? I definitely did not.

Of course not. The usual suspects who make stupid decisions have learned their lesson. What I am curious about is, WHO or WHAT BODY made the decision to roll the change in speed limit blinking sign out on a Friday morning (not an accidental choice of days, I'm sure) without any sort of warning or notice? Who made that call?

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I think I'm just going to get a golf cart and get it over with already. Skunky, you in? Maybe we could get a group discount.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

So here is a link to Florida law regarding setting speed limits. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.189.html

Looks like the BCC is in charge of county roads, so they would have to have made the call. The language is a little vague to a non-legal fella like myself, but it looks like some rational thought and study guided by the Department of Transportation needs to go into a change before it is executed. I know you are on top of all the BCC business...so are transportation issues usually handled behind closed doors? I'm not saying I smell a rat or conspiracy, just wondering what the procedure is here. At the very least, it seems like some sort of notice would have appeared letting us know of an impending change in speed limit. Naming the roadway Modica's Hospitality HWY got more ink, for goodness sake, and in the grand scheme of things means nothing to transportation!