• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Of course not. The usual suspects who make stupid decisions have learned their lesson. What I am curious about is, WHO or WHAT BODY made the decision to roll the change in speed limit blinking sign out on a Friday morning (not an accidental choice of days, I'm sure) without any sort of warning or notice? Who made that call?
It changed earlier than that, I first noticed it Wednesday. The signs went out Thursday.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
I was under the impression that speed limits on county roads were set by county ordinance. Have asked if that is not correct. Don't understand how this change could have been made without process or discussion, unless it was viewed as an emergency.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
It changed earlier than that, I first noticed it Wednesday. The signs went out Thursday.

I drove through there at 5:40AM Thursday morning and it was not illuminated-I am certain of this. They may have parked it there, but heck, those signs are always parked somewhere on 30-A warning about the next 5K run. I am certain the 'on' switch was not flipped until sometime in the later morning Thursday at the earliest.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I was under the impression that speed limits on county roads were set by county ordinance. Have asked if that is not correct. Don't understand how this change could have been made without process or discussion, unless it was viewed as an emergency.

Well, now you have provided their 'out'. As to the emergency? I can only imagine a crash course in insane slow driving practice to get us ready for snowbird arrival? Oh, God, snowbirds in golf carts, I had not even considered this yet...

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
I think I'm just going to get a golf cart and get it over with already. Skunky, you in? Maybe we could get a group discount.

Hey, throw my name in that hat, too. Been shopping for a golf cart for a long time. REALLY MEAN THAT!

I think I'll be going to the Electric Cart Company on 98. http://www.electriccartcompany.com Every now and then, they will have one heck of a deal on a lightly used cart. Doesn't get any better than that. Waiting for my perfect match.

Golf carts make driving from your house to the beach -and back- a cinch. It's fun, and environmentally friendly; until you have to dispose of giant batteries.

When I want to go to another community along 30A, I will take that little cart on home and get my real car; with seat belts, air conditioning, air bags, navigation, etc. That way, I don't suffer the embarrassment and create the mass frustration of running low on batteries.

Ever notice those those carts all weighed down with teenagers; and the driver is trying to wave you on around. I feel bad for those folks, don't you? That's usually a factor of too much weight and low/old batteries. Must be so annoying for them to have to go so slow.

It's going to annoy tourists in Suburbans, too. And they are going to try to pass. And, little "Timmy" the honor roll 3rd grader is going to get hit.

In the mean time, someone pulled a fast one in Defuniak to get this speed limit changed. And, it stinks to high heaven. It's just plain dishonest. And to have it rolled out during a week when a lot of 30A locals close their businesses and go on a trip... This was planned. And, now, everyone has to go 25mph for a whole mile of road with no real intersections.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If it an "emergency" pertaining to bicycle traffic on the bridges, it can be cured by a simple metal guard rail installed between the vehicular lanes and the bicycling lane. To me, this is a no-brainer. A few well-placed signs (and the removal of all the other @#$%^&* signs) to warn both the bicycler and drivers of a "Narrow Bridge", and this problem is fixed. There is no doubt in my mind that the necessary flow of traffic on a majority of 30-A must stay about 35-45, or else we will have an abundance of the "passers from hell".

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Has anyone noticed that while traveling west on said section, just as you enter the commercial stretch of 30A at Wilderness Way, the speed limit INCREASES to 35mph from there to the 4-way stop? Pure genius.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Then goes to 45 just west of Grayton... because it is a rural highway! just exactly like the stretch from WaterColor to Grayton. It's rural highway, most of the way, except for the towns, and that's where we need to slow down. Sounds like common sense?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Then goes to 45 just west of Grayton... because it is a rural highway! just exactly like the stretch from WaterColor to Grayton. It's rural highway, most of the way, except for the towns, and that's where we need to slow down. Sounds like common sense?

That is the section, just west of Grayton to Blue Mountain, where the fools are chomping to get the golf cart path to nowhere built. Except something now seems a little more clear in all this-a little bird told me the braintrust at Nature Walk is dying to get a golf cart friendly route from their neighborhood to Grayton and beyond as a selling point (since they are land locked). Currently a golfer wishing to hit Grayton can go no further west on 30-A than Watercolor due to the 45MPH stretch over Western Lake to Old Miller Place. I guess the Holy Grail of golfcartism is to be able to drive home from the Red Bar drunk and stupid because we all know, cops rarely pull the things over. So if 30-A lacks any 45MPH zone between 395 and 283, one can see the Holy Grail is achievable. One thing I have learned from living here, whenever our politicians execute a move that is really stupid, all one needs to do is follow the money trail to a developer and the motives will be revealed. Looking forward to whatever explanation is rendered Monday by Boss Hogg.