• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Augie

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2012
Here is some math, Newtons 3rd law of motion. A 6700lb Toyota Sequoia traveling 25 mph collides with a 950lb golf cart traveling the same speed. What is the force of impact? It's serious, These vehicles should not share the same road. Here's another, where are 200 golf carts going to park in Seaside?

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
Here is some math, Newtons 3rd law of motion. A 6700lb Toyota Sequoia traveling 25 mph collides with a 950lb golf cart traveling the same speed. What is the force of impact? It's serious, These vehicles should not share the same road. Here's another, where are 200 golf carts going to park in Seaside?

How about this, a 6700lb Toyota sequioa collides with a 30lb bicycle with a 150lb pedestrian on it, what is the force of impact, its deadly, (maybe we should ban toyota sequoias???) which is part of the reason for slowing people down in a highly congested tourist location like 30A. Studies have been done by the state, and all the other states setting regulations for street legal LSV's, they legally have every right to share the roads. also 200 golf carts are alot easier to park than 200 cars.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You do realize that delivery trucks and people who have to use cars to commute to and from work will have to use 30-A forever. The same Sequoia or semi delivery truck will still cause serious injury wherever they intersect with the bicyclers and golf carts, no matter what the speed.

From WaterColor to Redfish, there are only two places where the path and the highway are closer than 100 feet to each other! Reducing the speed limit and allowing golf carts to proliferate because the county is too stupid to put up guard rails. Really?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We are not a golf cart community.
There are places where golf carts work beautifully, like Sandestin, Kelly Plantation, and other "contained" communities that don't have a county highway (that is the main artery) running through them. We don't have to think this golf cart trend is OK.

Last edited:

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
How about this, a 6700lb Toyota sequioa collides with a 30lb bicycle with a 150lb pedestrian on it, what is the force of impact, its deadly, (maybe we should ban toyota sequoias???) which is part of the reason for slowing people down in a highly congested tourist location like 30A. Studies have been done by the state, and all the other states setting regulations for street legal LSV's, they legally have every right to share the roads. also 200 golf carts are alot easier to park than 200 cars.

31325768.jpg

I still think it's a golf cart $$$ thing.

In response... I don't think when they constructed a 22ft wide blacktop road, with 20 ft wide bridges, large stripes, and largely spaced reflective markers, they were thinking of a Schwinn Sprite Deluxe or the foot traffic.

It is still silly to me that people WANT to hoof it or peddle that stretch.

Multiple times I saw tourists trying to get back to Seaside from Grayton General Store with 10 lb bags of ice dangling from the handlebars. It's far! They were totally gassed by the time they got to the bridge.

They aren't just bicyclists, either. Anyone else seen the elliptical machine scooters? They've got those skateboards with the sticks that they use to push. Rollerbladers... One time, true story, I saw a guy on a unicycle doing that stretch. I'm talking about 3 weeks ago. I swear I almost slowed down to see if he was juggling.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
People walk or bike that section because it is between them and their destination. And it is certainly not the only location around 30a where the path is right next to the road.

It is one of the only places where you have full visibility and no pedestrian crossings, or intersecting roads or driveways. Hence why driving 25 is ridiculous.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

Fine, they may legally share the road. However, is it truly workable for our community? So many think not. When you can figure out how to take the county highway and the main thoroughfare out of the equation, I will listen to parking for 200 golf carts.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I did a little digging into this story. I figured that since they would be charged with enforcement of the speed change, the Sheriff's office might be a good place to get some scoop. Boy, did I get some. According to my source, the speed change was made without any advance notice being given to the department. In fact, the sheriff was notified by people calling the station-he had to send deputies out to assess the road and contacted the board to see what the deal was. The sheriff's dept. was told the changes were made after "numerous" complaints were submitted to the BCC regarding the dangerous roadway. As it turns out, "numerous" complaints turned out to be TWO emails! Also, I am told that the sheriff's dept is of the opinion that the change was inappropriate as there were no studies undertaken prior to the change, as is dictated by Florida law! Something really stinks here, a speed limit change initiated after faux outrage, not informing the sheriff of an impending speed change AND maybe an illegal action. Looking forward to watching this unfold!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I did a little digging into this story. I figured that since they would be charged with enforcement of the speed change, the Sheriff's office might be a good place to get some scoop. Boy, did I get some. According to my source, the speed change was made without any advance notice being given to the department. In fact, the sheriff was notified by people calling the station-he had to send deputies out to assess the road and contacted the board to see what the deal was. The sheriff's dept. was told the changes were made after "numerous" complaints were submitted to the BCC regarding the dangerous roadway. As it turns out, "numerous" complaints turned out to be TWO emails! Also, I am told that the sheriff's dept is of the opinion that the change was inappropriate as there were no studies undertaken prior to the change, as is dictated by Florida law! Something really stinks here, a speed limit change initiated after faux outrage, not informing the sheriff of an impending speed change AND maybe an illegal action. Looking forward to watching this unfold!

Those emails should be available to the public if anyone is interested.

If it only takes two emails to initiate a speed limit change, I request the stretch through Seagrove be changed from 35 mph to 25 mph. I think the speed of cars past Tom Thumb is a bigger safety issue than on the stretch to Grayton.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
Ya'll do realize the short stretch of road we're talking about is a matter of a few feet outside seaside and watercolor? nobody in any hurry, or worried about 13.something seconds and a few minutes a year should even consider driving this stretch of road. Even in the off season you are going to be dead stop in there for pedestrians and stop signs for several minutes, and quite a bit more during the season. From Grayton Beach Caution light to Eastern Lake Rd should be 25 to 35mph zones, golf carts aside there's just too much happening in these areas, if the speed limit is at 45, there's always someone who's gonna drive 55 and endanger pedestrians. I keep hearing the "what ifs" about golf carts being hit by cars, It hasn't happened yet and hopefully never will, but bicyclists are definitely in danger, in fact there were a couple of incidents last year which cyclists got hit, and if i remember right were fatal accidents. Put the speed limit to 35mph to the caution light once your clear of the bridge, keep it 45 west of the caution light towards Blue Mountain, golf carts have no business there, thats a rural highway in my opinion, although i am in favor of the golf cart path along the north side. Tourism industry feeds most of the people in walton county in one way or another and i think catering to making things better and safer for tourists is a good thing.

i analyze every situation with reason and logic, personal interests aside. seems like on here if you don't grab a pitchfork and a torch and join the anti-golf cart mob you get crucified.