• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Those emails should be available to the public if anyone is interested.

If it only takes two emails to initiate a speed limit change, I request the stretch through Seagrove be changed from 35 mph to 25 mph. I think the speed of cars past Tom Thumb is a bigger safety issue than on the stretch to Grayton.

I do agree with the speed limit needs to come down in Seagrove and then ENFORCED. I have live next to the Tom Thumb for years and its always been like shooting ducks in a barrel there. What makes it worse is all the vehicles pulling out of the store 20 different directions as well. I don't even want to talk about the gigantic trucks that block the intersection so you can't see oncoming traffic. Oh, and the "pro" cyclists that don't stop for red lights or stop signs let alone pedestrians.

As far as the 45 mph speed limit in some of these areas. I am always driving the east end between Seagrove and Inlet Beach. There is a 45 mph stretch through Watersound. I have encountered many carts driving this stretch when they aren't supposed to. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is around here. People are going to drive the way they want, where they want and how they want with those things. There is never any enforcement to these cart drivers and the owners of the companies can preach all they want about educating the renters on the safe operation of these little carts of death, they are still going to do their own thing and disregard the rules. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Here is some math, Newtons 3rd law of motion. A 6700lb Toyota Sequoia traveling 25 mph collides with a 950lb golf cart traveling the same speed. What is the force of impact? It's serious, These vehicles should not share the same road. Here's another, where are 200 golf carts going to park in Seaside?

Reminds me of the old joke, "Where does a 950lb gorilla sit? Anywhere it wants." Same is going to happen with cart parking.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It is still silly to me that people WANT to hoof it or peddle that stretch.

It's silly to me that you don't understand why people like me want to enjoy one of the most beautiful scenic roads in the world.

Skunky - what's the magic email address? I could write a couple a day to get a few things done around here.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Reminds me of the old joke, "Where does a 950lb gorilla sit? Anywhere it wants." Same is going to happen with cart parking.

Just look at Publix in Grand Blvd. The golf carts don't park in the parking lot, they park on the median. Will the county put in special 'golf cart parking lots'? I think not. They will be where cars usually park.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Just look at Publix in Grand Blvd. The golf carts don't park in the parking lot, they park on the median. Will the county put in special 'golf cart parking lots'? I think not. They will be where cars usually park.

Just go to the Publix in Watercolor in the summer (something I don't recommend) They are parked right on the walk in front of the entrance door.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Ya'll do realize the short stretch of road we're talking about is a matter of a few feet outside seaside and watercolor? nobody in any hurry, or worried about 13.something seconds and a few minutes a year should even consider driving this stretch of road. Even in the off season you are going to be dead stop in there for pedestrians and stop signs for several minutes, and quite a bit more during the season. From Grayton Beach Caution light to Eastern Lake Rd should be 25 to 35mph zones, golf carts aside there's just too much happening in these areas, if the speed limit is at 45, there's always someone who's gonna drive 55 and endanger pedestrians. I keep hearing the "what ifs" about golf carts being hit by cars, It hasn't happened yet and hopefully never will, but bicyclists are definitely in danger, in fact there were a couple of incidents last year which cyclists got hit, and if i remember right were fatal accidents. Put the speed limit to 35mph to the caution light once your clear of the bridge, keep it 45 west of the caution light towards Blue Mountain, golf carts have no business there, thats a rural highway in my opinion, although i am in favor of the golf cart path along the north side. Tourism industry feeds most of the people in walton county in one way or another and i think catering to making things better and safer for tourists is a good thing.

i analyze every situation with reason and logic, personal interests aside. seems like on here if you don't grab a pitchfork and a torch and join the anti-golf cart mob you get crucified.

When is the last time you were on 30-A? Do you know what area changed speed limit? And If there was a fatality or even a car versus bike, it was the biggest cover up in recent history. I agree with you about 25MPH from west toe of Western Lake bridge through old Seagrove-east of there to HWY98 I have no problems with the current limits, save for the 25MPH in Alys, but it isn't too annoying.

I have accepted golf carts as a reality that will never go away in Seagrove, Seaside, etc on 30-A-I don't like it, but I can accept it. But I can't see why we need to sell out to tourists who might want to piddle golf carts on rural 30-A. The area you identify as rural is almost wholly similar to a big chunk between Grayton and WaterColor recently transformed into 25MPH!

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I never had a problem with the 25 mph through Alys Beach to Rosemary. In the summer there are a lot of people darting across where they shouldn't be. Besides I just usually go around on Watersound Parkway to 98.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
2 emails is all it takes to wreak havoc? I must not be writing to the correct email address with my VALID concerns.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
It's silly to me that you don't understand why people like me want to enjoy one of the most beautiful scenic roads in the world.

Skunky - what's the magic email address? I could write a couple a day to get a few things done around here.

So it was YOU on the unicycle. I KNEW IT!

:rotfl: