• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
So SOWALians, what do you have for me this year?

We tend to have pretty laid back meals, sometimes comprised only of multiple shared appetizers and nice wine or cold Red Stripes, and always looking for a nice beachy vibe.

Over the years, our regular spots have included Cafe Thirty-A, Jean Noel's Cafe Rendezvous (and Fermintations before that), Red Bar, the Roof Top Bar (Tarpon Club) and B&A's (and its Taco Bar). I sure miss D&K's, 331's, and the original Shades and Hurricane Grill in Seaside (we haven't tried their "new" locations, but I need to replace my Hurricane Grill t-shirt). We've moved away from Fish Out of Water, and similar "tuck in your T-shirt" places. I'll have to motivate my lazy/sunburned/imbibed self to drive to Stinky's this year.

We had added Shorty's the past few years, though it seemed a little "off" last time we were there. Gravel Road was a hit, but left us too soon. The Perfect Pig sounds like it was named for me (except for the "perfect" part). Any other places we need to give a go?

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Sergio's little Italian behind Starbucks @ Grayton.
Best calamari app.ever. Owner Sergio on site and available. It's like Capri on 30A

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Check out Pickle Factory in grayton and Redd's in Blue Mountain. Both very relaxed with unique menu items.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
So SOWALians, what do you have for me this year?

We tend to have pretty laid back meals, sometimes comprised only of multiple shared appetizers and nice wine or cold Red Stripes, and always looking for a nice beachy vibe.

Over the years, our regular spots have included Cafe Thirty-A, Jean Noel's Cafe Rendezvous (and Fermintations before that), Red Bar, the Roof Top Bar (Tarpon Club) and B&A's (and its Taco Bar). I sure miss D&K's, 331's, and the original Shades and Hurricane Grill in Seaside (we haven't tried their "new" locations, but I need to replace my Hurricane Grill t-shirt). We've moved away from Fish Out of Water, and similar "tuck in your T-shirt" places. I'll have to motivate my lazy/sunburned/imbibed self to drive to Stinky's this year.

We had added Shorty's the past few years, though it seemed a little "off" last time we were there. Gravel Road was a hit, but left us too soon. The Perfect Pig sounds like it was named for me (except for the "perfect" part). Any other places we need to give a go?

Welcome back to our beautiful beaches!

From your post I would say Chanticleer in Grayton Beach is right up your alley. They have dinner now also and just added beer and wine. There are a couple of sandwiches alone on the menu that make your trip to SoWal worth every penny. Perfect Pig for sure and Louis Louis - Beachrunner has a good list above.
The SoWal Dining Guide is an excellent resource - http://www.sowal.com/eat.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
if you loved 331, you will also love louis louis - same decor (!), same owners, same menu. awesome! if you loved the old shades, you might not feel the same about the newest incarnation. pizza by the sea could be added to your list, barefoot barbecue, and la cocina. and maybe local catch.