• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Tonight we will be attending to thank the school board for scheduling half the meetings in South Walton. I am sure, just like in DeFuniak, that every meeting won't have a big crowd, depending on what is on the agenda, but since we are such a large tax base, and our schools have the most growth, it is only fair that half the meetings are held here, no matter what the attendance on any given day. We deserve to have at least the option of having a meeting close by whether we can attend all of them or just some.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
No one implied that the South end doesn't "deserve" to have school board meetings held there. What was said was that it would be interesting to see what turn-out would be like since historically school board meetings in the north end have always been very POORLY attended.

We are ONE county regardless of who has the most toys.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
What I am trying to say is that before it is tried a few times, then ditched because of "poor attendance" (like the last time), let's hold both ends of the county to the same standard please. It takes months for a community to realize there is a new schedule for regular meetings. Let's give us a chance to make it work before we just throw out the idea because of the "way it's always been". This community really needs to stop looking in the past and start looking forward- that is how successful communities (and people, and businesses) work.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
And let's not forget that the county does not end in DeFuniak. Paxton and Freeport schools are part of the district as well. What I have seen is people don't show up til there is a big vote or issue. By that time most plans have been worked out to deal with whatever the issue is, and does not leave a lot of options. For example the tax increases. No one, and I mean no one came to the budget workshops. But when it came time for the very last public hearing a few showed up very angry, yelling about taxes and throwing down microphones. The time to get change to occur in my opinion is during the process, not at the end of it. The chances are much better if the board has a little time to work things out with public input, not at the last minute. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Nice turn out for the first south School Board mtg.

Photo credit: DeFuniak Gerald/Beach Breeze

Attachments

• image-3337977823.jpg
    image-3337977823.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Hmmm, no one was throwing out the idea either but if you're looking for a negative connotation to what I have said...keep digging. I'm sure you will find something.

Ms. Leonard sorta summed up the point I was trying to make. We are also agreed the county doesn't end in Defuniak.

You're correct jdarg that this didn't go well the last time it was tried but it didn't have the backing of the WCTA either nor was there a movement afoot to hire a Super even though a huge amount of taxpayer money has always been funneled into the school district via the taxpayers, many of whom don't even have children in school.

You (jdarg) have made it sound as if I want this to fail and that absolutely is not the case but I have lived here long enough to know that you aren't going to change people or their mindset or what they expect from elected officials.

People are going to fight tooth and nail to keep the Super elected in this county and while the South may think it's going to rise again the North is going to show you exactly what they want too.

I'm glad there was a nice turnout tonight....let's hope it holds!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
op·ti·mism (ŏp′tə-mĭz′əm)n.1. A tendency to expect the best possible outcome or dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation:

2. Philosophy a. The doctrine, asserted by Leibniz, that this world is the best of all possible worlds.
b. The belief that the universe is improving and that good will ultimately triumph over evil.

[French optimisme, from New Latin optimum, the greatest good; see optimum.]

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Two posts back, I read A post about Walton being "ONE". Then from the same poster, I read that the North is going to show the South what it wants done. I am not interested in reliving a war that ended 159 years ago. What I am interested in hearing is: Why is an elected superintendent better for our students? Saving money? The school board approved a new attorney retainer last to represent the Superintendent (with no mention of representing the school system as a whole). There is no doubt that expenditure alone, along with the multiple consulting contracts approved, will cost more than the difference in cost for an appointed superintendent. Giving up their right to vote? We have lousy voter participation anyway. So, help me out, how is the current system with an extremely low bar for superintendent qualifications better for our kids? Just possibly if we talk about merits instead of politics, our kids might be better served.