• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
We have a Mediacom HD cable box (by Pace) connected to a Panasonic HD TV and a Marantz AVR. EVERYTIME we arrive at the house, the TV isn't working. We get a message that says, "No signal. Ensure that the external device is turned on and properly connected to the TV's input. Select the source by pressing [INPUT] on the remote."

So at first we blamed it on the AVR. We replaced it. It worked, and then the next time we arrived, same message. Then we decided it was the TV. Panasonic came out and put in a new HDMI card. It worked, and then the next time we arrived, we got the same message. So we decided it was the AVR. We mailed our AVR to Marantz, they replaced the HDMI card, and we have received it.

In the meantime hubby connected the TV directly to the cable box with no AVR so at least during the NCAA basketball tournament we had TV, just not a nice sound system. That worked as a temporary fix so we could watch TV in the living room.

When I arrived last night, no TV. Same message. "No signal. Ensure that the external device is turned on and properly connected to the TV's input. Select the source by pressing [INPUT] on the remote." I did that. There was no picture on any of the HDMI inputs. The AVR is out of the picture. Just TV connected to cable box.

We have surge protection out the wazoo (it claims total replacement of all equipment for not protecting after power surges).

We've also done some research. We've read that even if you have the best surge protection, certain cable boxes can emit pulses that will fry HDMI cards. So my current thinking is that our cable box from Mediacom is frying our HDMI cards.

BTW our other TVs with no cable boxes and no surge protection work fine.

We haven't had any luck talking to Medicom on the phone.

Any suggestions as what I should do? I really don't want this to keep happening.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Good luck dealing with Mediacrap. For the last week or so I have been getting a message the "digital signal strength is too low" for alot of stations. Some have no sound,nothing but the message on others. But they still expect you to pay IN ADVANCE for service that you might or might not receive. Quality of said service is hard to discuss with any operator you get hooked up with when you call.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I didn't have this problem , but have had a lot of replacement ( rebuilt) :DVR boxes. So I talked them into a cheaper deal with their new TIVO receiver. It works great plus records 4/5 programs at a time and you can watch recorded shows any where in the house...HugeBlessing...don't let them charge you extra for it, they can discount the TiVo system.

excuse me
I didn't mean to appear rude. I am desperately seeking help. I just want my TV to work and not have fried HDMI cards. If getting TIVO fixes it, I'm interested. It has been so frustrating to walk into my house and see the "No signal. Ensure that the external device is turned on and properly connected to the TV's input. Select the source by pressing [INPUT] on the remote."